Post-Game Talk: Reimer gets his vengeance, Canes win 6-3 in his return to Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Habs; 1 in 19 picks
Bruins; 1 in 20
Toronto; 1 in 22
Buffalo; 3 in 23
Ottawa; 1 in 21
Tampa; 4 in 22

Panthers; 3 in 28

I didn't bother with guys that are still in the AHL with the same organization since it's not a big impact either way.

Tampa really the only team that has a better "percentage" I dont think its bad all things considered and in comparison to those other teams.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Mackenzie weegar on the first pair jeez. It definitely spreads of the defense so we’ll see. Can’t be worse than matheson there.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida

Honestly not a huge fan of these lines. Vatrano and Connolly shouldn't be playing together and Hawryluk shouldn't be any higher than the fourth line. I do like Huberdeau-Barkov-Hoffman though.

Weegar has been solid defensively, I'm excited to see what he can do with Ekblad. He may be the stabilizing force Ek needs to settle things down for him.

Reactions: peterbiz09

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Habs; 1 in 19 picks
Bruins; 1 in 20
Toronto; 1 in 22
Buffalo; 3 in 23
Ottawa; 1 in 21
Tampa; 4 in 22

Panthers; 3 in 28

I didn't bother with guys that are still in the AHL with the same organization since it's not a big impact either way.

And we also drafted Donskoi and Hyman who are regulars in lineups...

Grimaldi to no? He is a regular in Nashville.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Whether it's him or the defense, my assertion still stands: he's not the solution we were hoping for.
With that defense there is no goalie in the league that would be the solution you were hoping for. Stop blaming the goalies, blame the soft and out-of-position defensemen we got.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
With that defense there is no goalie in the league that would be the solution you were hoping for. Stop blaming the goalies, blame the soft and out-of-position defensemen we got.
guess I have to...but as I said, it means Bob wasn't the solution I was hoping for :laugh: The statement is the simple truth, stop looking for holes in it ;)

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Some folks just never learn, even the smart ones.

If the defense has been on point, and the goals have all been stinkers that a "better" goalie would've saved, I wouldn't argue with about 80% of the hockey internet.

We've now officially seen pretty much every level of goaltending there is to offer in the last 2 years:
-Top 3 all time NHL history vet goalie.
-Top 5 current/recent 2 time Vezina, future HOF elite goalie in his prime
-AHL all star in his first half season potential NHL starter/all star
-Very good NHL back up
-Fringe AHL starter/NHL back up

Same 3 millionaire defensemen having a hand in blowing up the stats of all the above.

For the thousandth time, I ask: what's really the variable?
Well, to be honest, I thought the goalies were the bigger issue. Reimer was always unreliable and Luongo was getting older and playing hurt most of the time. I've noticed in the two games I saw that Bob is more athletic than either of them, and when I got to see games or highlights last year, I wasn't seeing good play from the goalies. So it was natural to draw the conclusion I did. That said, I'm wrong - team D sucks, though it can get better (maybe) as they learn Q's system better. Or they can get kicked to the curb and better guys brought in (but keep Ekblad, and Yandle too...but maybe pair them with better guys that complement their play).

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Some folks just never learn, even the smart ones.

If the defense has been on point, and the goals have all been stinkers that a "better" goalie would've saved, I wouldn't argue with about 80% of the hockey internet.

We've now officially seen pretty much every level of goaltending there is to offer in the last 2 years:
-Top 3 all time NHL history vet goalie.
-Top 5 current/recent 2 time Vezina, future HOF elite goalie in his prime
-AHL all star in his first half season potential NHL starter/all star
-Very good NHL back up
-Fringe AHL starter/NHL back up

Same 3 millionaire defensemen having a hand in blowing up the stats of all the above.

For the thousandth time, I ask: what's really the variable?
The goaltending was an issue last year only. The same coach and team two years goaltending was fine. It’s E games this year. Not sure why everyone thinks reimer is an aweful goalie. He had one bad year last year and was fine before that. You guys are hilarious

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The goaltending was an issue last year only. The same coach and team two years goaltending was fine. It’s E games this year. Not sure why everyone thinks reimer is an aweful goalie. He had one bad year last year and was fine before that. You guys are hilarious
The defense was an issue last year only too. And the same coach and team two years ago defense was fine. Damn good even. 3 games + the preseason games and most of last year.

I sure as hell never said Reimer's an awful goalie, and you know I argued as much with pretty much everybody about it, but I am well aware of how many did say that he is.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Tampa really the only team that has a better "percentage" I dont think its bad all things considered and in comparison to those other teams.
Yeah, those draft (mostly the 2010) were bad because of who we missed out on, not because we don't have many of these guys left with the team.

And we also drafted Donskoi and Hyman who are regulars in lineups...Grimaldi to no? He is a regular in Nashville.
It's about who is left playing with the team that drafted them, not how many draftees are still in the NHL.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Yeah, those draft (mostly the 2010) were bad because of who we missed out on, not because we don't have many of these guys left with the team.

It's about who is left playing with the team that drafted them, not how many draftees are still in the NHL.

No I get that.

But that's what makes it a bit misleading as it only provides a certain perspective of those draft years. Yeah, none remain from 10-11, but the players drafted were still quality.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
No I get that.

But that's what makes it a bit misleading as it only provides a certain perspective of those draft years. Yeah, none remain from 10-11, but the players drafted were still quality.
2010 was an abject failure of a draft and I disagree that the players we drafted were quality. If you only pick the guy that was drafted right after our picks (without the 1st round trade down) you end up with;
Ryan Johnson, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Dalton Smith, Justin Faulk, Calle Jarnkrok, Brandon Archibald, Austin Madaisky, Dalton Prout, Martin Ouellette
Instead of; Gud, Bjugstad, Howden, McFarland, Petrovic, Brickley, Basabara, Brittain, Gallacher, Donskoi, Hyman, Corey Durocher, RJ Boyd

Imo, the first group is of much higher quality than the second and it's not that close.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
2010 was an abject failure of a draft and I disagree that the players we drafted were quality. If you only pick the guy that was drafted right after our picks (without the 1st round trade down) you end up with;
Ryan Johnson, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Dalton Smith, Justin Faulk, Calle Jarnkrok, Brandon Archibald, Austin Madaisky, Dalton Prout, Martin Ouellette
Instead of; Gud, Bjugstad, Howden, McFarland, Petrovic, Brickley, Basabara, Brittain, Gallacher, Donskoi, Hyman, Corey Durocher, RJ Boyd

Imo, the first group is of much higher quality than the second and it's not that close.

Well yeah, no one has arguing those picks were a miss.

But a draft failure (imo) is if you draft players that dont manage to last multiple seasons in the NHL.

Its semantic I guess. Miss vs failure. If your gonna judge on misses, many teams miss multiple times in multiple drafts. Especially on gems picked late in the draft (Lundqvist, Datsyuk etc).

Reactions: I am not exposed

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
high expectations have created a lot of panic. at least give it until game 10 to freak out.

you have a new system, coach learning the players strengths and weaknesses, and the top line hasn't started going yet.

we have a sick goalie, tro and hoffman look good, stralman can be a steady presence in the top 4. We know barkov and huberdeau will start dominating.

our one win (in 3 games) is against the best team from last year.

Reactions: I am not exposed

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Mackenzie weegar on the first pair jeez. It definitely spreads of the defense so we’ll see. Can’t be worse than matheson there.

Weegar may not be the most talented guy in the world, but he's also no bum, and I have no issue with this. He's obviously putting in the effort and has been playing well.

Reactions: peterbiz09
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad