Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith + Marc Savard for Jimmy Hayes

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Is a 2 year deal long term? We saved a million dollars on Hayes vs smith. It's a good trade for that alone, smith was a puddle here, and would continue to be one if he never left. Florida gave us cap flexibility and a mediocre streaky player for a slightly better mediocre streaky player. Still like the trade

Smith was a puddle because the coach kept misusing him as a top 6 player. He's not. But if they had put him on the 3rd line and left him there, he'd have looked a lot better, IMO, because that's what he really is.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Chiarelli here means Smith here which means Marchand gets zero PP as Reilly gets jammed down our throats because he was traded for Seguin

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Chiarelli here means Smith here which means Marchand gets zero PP as Reilly gets jammed down our throats because he was traded for Seguin

I don't think people are so against Smith getting traded, personally I had no problem with Smith getting traded as I was never a big fan of him, just disappointed in what Hayes has brought.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don't think people are so against Smith getting traded, personally I had no problem with Smith getting traded as I was never a big fan of him, just disappointed in what Hayes has brought.

A lot of us here have been disappointed but the season isn't anywhere near over yet. When Hayes is in the goalies face and on his doorstep he's a pain to see around. He needs to bring it every shift and if he continues his disappearing act he'll hear if from Claude. He has had a couple of dominant games he just needs to make the one in 7 great game into a one in 3 and he'll start to blossom, otherwise he'll fade away here.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

yah, although I kind of look at Smith for Beleskey- and Hayes can bring something but was more a vehicle for getting rid of Smith and Savy contract.

Hayes is pressing but if he just goes to the net uses his body and forechecks hard he'll be fine. He does not need to fight or land big hits- not his style. Hayes is big but he does not generate a lot of speed or get on guys quick to light them up. Beleksey skates well and is solid and has good technique so he can deliver better hits but this was never the game Hayes has played since I watched him at BC.

He's got some talent and can play on the bottom 6 and be a good player. I hope he does he really wants to play for Boston.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I see this trade as Reilly Smith for a much bigger less offensive Reilly Smith. I think theres value in what his size brings.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
yah, although I kind of look at Smith for Beleskey- and Hayes can bring something but was more a vehicle for getting rid of Smith and Savy contract.

Hayes is pressing but if he just goes to the net uses his body and forechecks hard he'll be fine. He does not need to fight or land big hits- not his style. Hayes is big but he does not generate a lot of speed or get on guys quick to light them up. Beleksey skates well and is solid and has good technique so he can deliver better hits but this was never the game Hayes has played since I watched him at BC.

He's got some talent and can play on the bottom 6 and be a good player. I hope he does he really wants to play for Boston.

Hayes is as advertised. Smith is been bounced and has had different line mates. Smith was primarily on the second line. Big difference.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Smirh was here Marchand would be gone. Peter had to salvage that deal and the friction between these two would be counterproductive

Subtract Smith the passenger and we get Marchand driving the bus

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If Smirh was here Marchand would be gone. Peter had to salvage that deal and the friction between these two would be counterproductive

Subtract Smith the passenger and we get Marchand driving the bus

Even if Chia were forcing Smith on Julien, you can't absolve the coach of mishandling the situation. He didn't have to put Smith on a line with PB and BM. He didn't have to keep Smith on that line when it became clear he was an anchor actually dragging down their play. And he surely didn't have to role him out on the PP unit the way he did. So sure, PC may have wanted Smith to succeed because it took heat off his bad trade, but Julien certainly made the situation worse by putting Smith in a position to fail, since he was in over his head.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
wait so lemme get this straight...the consensus for much of his time here was that Smith was being carried by Bergeron and Marchand. Now you're rewriting history to say that Julien put him in a position to fail?

Smith is a regular top 9 NHL player today in large part thanks to Julien giving him a chance and letting him play with really great players.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Even if Chia were forcing Smith on Julien, you can't absolve the coach of mishandling the situation. He didn't have to put Smith on a line with PB and BM. He didn't have to keep Smith on that line when it became clear he was an anchor actually dragging down their play. And he surely didn't have to role him out on the PP unit the way he did. So sure, PC may have wanted Smith to succeed because it took heat off his bad trade, but Julien certainly made the situation worse by putting Smith in a position to fail, since he was in over his head.

Reilly was never the same after the Bruins openly targeted big brother and role model in that playoff series against Detroit

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
wait so lemme get this straight...the consensus for much of his time here was that Smith was being carried by Bergeron and Marchand. Now you're rewriting history to say that Julien put him in a position to fail?

Smith is a regular top 9 NHL player today in large part thanks to Julien giving him a chance and letting him play with really great players.

If Claude had given Marchand the PP time he gave Smith they may have won another game and hence made the playoffs

I watched Smith thinking he has 9 lives because of that trade

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Yes, he's a top 9 player, meaning third liner, which is what I said. Yet the majority of time spent here, he was getting way too many minutes for his skill set, and way too much PP TOI. Those mistakes were made by Julien, not the player. Which is why I said that people unhappy with how Smith played out here shouldn't be mad at Smith. They should be mad at Claude, because he took a 3rd line player and gave him a spot in the top 6 and a lions share of PP minutes. It was unwarranted.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I just re-watched Talbot's first goal, Hayes was a major factor to why it happened. Punished Dumolin into the boards taking him entirely out of the play. I'm a bit of a homer but I take Hayes over Smith 10x out of 10.

bizman

Feb 27, 2009
montreal
I just re-watched Talbot's first goal, Hayes was a major factor to why it happened. Punished Dumolin into the boards taking him entirely out of the play. I'm a bit of a homer but I take Hayes over Smith 10x out of 10.

You're right. You are a bit of a homer. I don't mind the trade considering the finanancials but let's not kid ourselves about who is the better player.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I'm glad he is doing good in Florida, I'm sure knowing your teammates didn't want you around is a very tough environment to perform in.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm glad he is doing good in Florida, I'm sure knowing your teammates didn't want you around is a very tough environment to perform in.

Chia and Claude made it worse with those ridiculous comments and putting him in a prominent role right off the spot. Marchand has to be thinking wtf this guy comes right in off a 7 point in 35 game stint and is on the pp and he's not - love it when Marchand said in off season we removed passengers

His passing up contact lost me.

They way overpaid him as well and he responded as bad as I have ever seen. I believe it played a big part of Chiarelli fired

He was still a Bruins when the team all went to Vegas- only he and Dougie didn't go.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yes, he's a top 9 player, meaning third liner, which is what I said. Yet the majority of time spent here, he was getting way too many minutes for his skill set, and way too much PP TOI. Those mistakes were made by Julien, not the player. Which is why I said that people unhappy with how Smith played out here shouldn't be mad at Smith. They should be mad at Claude, because he took a 3rd line player and gave him a spot in the top 6 and a lions share of PP minutes. It was unwarranted.

Pretty much agree here- they messed up Smith. He probably should have started in Providence not on a team that came within a whisker of winning the SC power play:laugh:

If he was traded for Knight instead of Seguin he'd have had no pressure and expectations

Smith is a 25 goal top 6-9 forward with good offensive instincts, plays more perimeter and is more passive than aggressive; smart player, streaky- not a good fit in Boston but a good player on another team without a bright spot light and an expected lunch pail style

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Reilly was never the same after the Bruins openly targeted big brother and role model in that playoff series against Detroit

Never really thought about that, could definitely be something there

Chara and his brother :laugh:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You're right. You are a bit of a homer. I don't mind the trade considering the finanancials but let's not kid ourselves about who is the better player.

I'd rather have Hayes at his price than Smith at his price

I'd also rather have Hayes on the Bruins than Smith on the Bruins if discounting salaries entirely. Smith is the better player, Hayes is the better fit IMO

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Never really thought about that, could definitely be something there

Chara and his brother :laugh:

It was Marchand as well - I watched it and was pissed at the Bruins. I thought it was a dick move but then again I warch Lifetime Christmas movies (Amy Acker's legs just go on forever)

Don't forget the Marchand 'grab the wrong knee' was from a Brendan Smith hit

I don't know what the Smith brothers did but boy do the Bruins have issues

My guess is 63 has the biggest issue but I love Marchand only slightly less than my dog or Amy Acker so I am for whatever Brad's for

Last edited:

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
It was Marchand as well - I watched it and was pissed at the Bruins. I thought it was a dick move but then again I warch Lifetime Christmas movies (Amy Acker's legs just go on forever)

Don't forget the Marchand 'grab the wrong knee' was from a Brendan Smith hit

I don't know what the Smith brothers did but boy do the Bruins have issues

My guess is 63 has the biggest issue but I love Marchand only slightly less than my dog or Amy Acker so I am for whatever Brad's for

Thanks again for the inside look, and I'm with you, I feel a bit bad for Reilly but such a fan of Marchand I'll never be too upset at him.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

For me, that is Reilly Smith in a nutshell.

If (and I don't know if it's true) he was upset about the Bruins running his brother in the playoffs then he needs to go and play a different sport. Badminton would be a good choice.

If you've made it to the NHL and don't get that come playoffs it's a dog eat dog world, then you're soft.

Either way, I always thought he was streaky and a bit timid.

Bottom line is we tend to dissect individual players here -- what I know is I like this years' team in the aggregate A LOT better than last year's team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad