Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith + Marc Savard for Jimmy Hayes

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
For me, that is Reilly Smith in a nutshell.

If (and I don't know if it's true) he was upset about the Bruins running his brother in the playoffs then he needs to go and play a different sport. Badminton would be a good choice.

If you've made it to the NHL and don't get that come playoffs it's a dog eat dog world, then you're soft.

Either way, I always thought he was streaky and a bit timid.

Bottom line is we tend to dissect individual players here -- what I know is I like this years' team in the aggregate A LOT better than last year's team.

Excellent post couldn't agree more

I like Brendan Smith I even have him on my sim team with HF and I like Reilly but he was timid and streaky and Peter & Claude seemed to me to give us to much and to soon RS

The targeting Brendan Smith seemed personal not the usual finish checks stuff but let's **** with him also

Believe me I'm no shrinking violet but as I watched that series they had it in for him and if it was my brother I'd be pissed at my teammates if I thought they crossed the line - Reilly Smith sure played like something bothered him and Don Sweeney must have saw/known something because he acted quick to sign his replacement in Beleskey and trade Smith

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I really didn't care what we got for Smith. He's a decent player but he's far too streaky, and when he's not on a streak, he contributes NOTHING. Hayes, as we've seen, doesn't do much when he's not scoring either, but Smith was a nothing guy on this team. No future here. Recognize that, cut your ties, move on. Take a chance with someone else. I like it.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Excellent post couldn't agree more

I like Brendan Smith I even have him on my sim team with HF and I like Reilly but he was timid and streaky and Peter & Claude seemed to me to give us to much and to soon RS

The targeting Brendan Smith seemed personal not the usual finish checks stuff but let's **** with him also

Believe me I'm no shrinking violet but as I watched that series they had it in for him and if it was my brother I'd be pissed at my teammates if I thought they crossed the line - Reilly Smith sure played like something bothered him and Don Sweeney must have saw/known something because he acted quick to sign his replacement in Beleskey and trade Smith

I agree -- I'd be the same way. However, I guess it's how you show that emotion.

Several brothers in league history that raise some interesting thoughts related to this:

Sutter brothers wouldn't care a bit. Hell, they'd be the one's running their own brothers.
Staals are probably in the same category.

Dominic Moore is tough as nails. Can you imagine your younger brother getting crushed by Bertuzzi and then having deal with the hate that was spewed out when Steve Moore sued, or other players defended "Bert", or Crawford. How he kept up his game is beyond me.

Reilly Smith's temperament is probably more akin the the Sedins -- unfortunately.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hayes did some nice things without showing up in the goal column last night. Back to back strong games from him.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Hayes did some nice things without showing up in the goal column last night. Back to back strong games from him.

Couldn't agree more. He played a heavy game last night.

617Marine

Aug 17, 2012
Boston

His below-the-goal line work on Frankie's second goal was strong. Not to mention the beautiful pass out front.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Yup this tells me Hayes has the skill its more between the ears- not smarts but bearing down
Needs to download that behavior as consistency is the issue

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Just read the first 11 pages before giving up.

Lou is owed quite a few apologies. He ****ing nailed this 100% from the get-go, and that was before the stupid ****ing deal Hayes was given.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just read the first 11 pages before giving up.

Lou is owed quite a few apologies. He ****ing nailed this 100% from the get-go, and that was before the stupid ****ing deal Hayes was given.

Lou got his info from me on the SIM:laugh:....I only flipped on Smith when another HF member (who you know by the way;)) told me a bunch of stuff on this that made sense. Although I do not blame Reilly Smith one bit on this. Right team wrong time,

anyways, I like Smith hope he has an great career- looks like everything you want in a player in a top 9 winger

just didn't work

as for the Smith and Lou I agree he stayed with him but maybe it was Kirk or someone I spoke to told me this kid is a sleeper and can be really good. This was after the deal and I wanted to see what we really got. I do remember Kirk telling me he had some real good skills and could be pretty good and what he said came through- someone else told me similar

but there are also thread or threads when he got benched by Claude after signing his big extension that he gets railed here and I'm sure I'm in it depending on how my commute was that day:shakehead

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Lou got his info from me on the SIM:laugh:....I only flipped on Smith when another HF member (who you know by the way;)) told me a bunch of stuff on this that made sense. Although I do not blame Reilly Smith one bit on this. Right team wrong time,

anyways, I like Smith hope he has an great career- looks like everything you want in a player in a top 9 winger

just didn't work

as for the Smith and Lou I agree he stayed with him but maybe it was Kirk or someone I spoke to told me this kid is a sleeper and can be really good. This was after the deal and I wanted to see what we really got. I do remember Kirk telling me he had some real good skills and could be pretty good and what he said came through- someone else told me similar

but there are also thread or threads when he got benched by Claude after signing his big extension that he gets railed here and I'm sure I'm in it depending on how my commute was that day:shakehead

Hayes signed his extension before he ever played a single game as a Bruin.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
My bad - you were referring to Smith's extension. Apologies.

Hard to tell which B's GM is giving out ill-advised extensions one year to the next, happens so often.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Looooooouuuuuuuu.

Just knew Smith would rebound and I know he's a good player.. People here generally are a kick you on the way out and this was no different. Also knew Florida would be better. The fact people thought Hayes was better than Smith however is still mind boggling. Just knew it wouldn't take long to be hated here, and I think Jimmy is a great guy.

member 96824

Reilly Smith played 81 games for the Bruins last season.

He signed his extension on the 6th. He played in games the 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 22nd, and so on and so forth
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/2500990/year/2015/reilly-smith

He was healthy scratched for one night, the 21st on the front end of a back to back..a tool that has been used plenty throughout the years with many great players through the years. The next night, he came back with a goal and an assist against Chicago, and finished the month with 5 points in the next 4 games following that scratch.

If anything, Claude gave Reilly too long of a leash, leaving him with Bergeron and Marchand for too long while the "magic" of that line had seem to fall away

But I mean..being sat 1 game in his entire 164 career with the Bruins. Let's be honest, using that as a talking point is as politician as it gets. Are you gunning for a VP spot Dan?! :laugh:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm proud to say (and I'll tout this forever b/c it's the one time I was right) that I never gave up on Smith. I looked back through old threads this year to check myself and sure enough I like Smith all along, though I was definitely frustrated with him after he signed his extension and then his game fell off. But I also defended him from time to time and never thought he needed to be traded. I even defended his salary frequently because I thought it was extremely fair value at the time.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Reilly Smith = Kris Versteeg

A second line winger who should probably be a third line winger on a contender.

Hayes = borderline NHL player

Needs to score 30+ points a year to be considered a third line guy, doesn't do anything extra to be a good fourth liner.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Well, to be fair, everything they said about Horton lacking heart, being lazy and inconsistent was true ... it pisses peoples off here, but Horton was still a 50-60 pts player who did step up in the playoff.

So how will people not be pissed off by a 6ft6 30-35 pts soft, lazy lacking consistentcy player who's just not good enough to step up offensively anyway.

I think we all know what this board will think of him by game 60th.

Love it or not, Smith was the better player. We saved Savard cap space and if Hayes can sign for 1,5M we save another 2M. But it seems like he won't settle for a low contract, sadly.

I was on the right side too. Of course right now a bunch of fans look bad on this one, but when there's a wagon on here, love affair or hate affair, tons and tons of fans jump on it blindly. I can't imagine 95% of this board was really thinking Hayes was better than Smith, they just jump in the Smith is the scapgot for the bad season thing and stoped thinking. Don't get influenced by others when you think something, you might be right or you might be wrong but I'll tell you, I'm alot more satisfied being wrong when I was really wrong.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Who is with the Devils?

Savvy.

I don't miss Smith... He was infuriating to watch for 60/82 games, was so inconsistent. But Hayes is infuriating to watch for 60 games... and he's a heathy scratch for the other 22. Doesn't matter if Smith wasn't a fit here, he had talent, put up pretty good numbers especially for his age, and we got nothing besides cap flexibility. Florida loves him, and Hayes just sucks. I want to like him because he's a big local guy, but he plays like he's 5'6. There's no other way to slice it, this was a horrible trade.

Sweeney is just off his rookie season as a GM. Very, very hot and cold year. If the worst he's gonna screw up is by losing Reilly Smith for more or less nothing, I can deal with it. But hopefully he did learn from it. Also, hopefully Hayes can rebound and be a decent 3rd liner. That's really all we need out of him. IIRC, he's scored 20 goals before. Park your ass in front of the net and do it again.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Savvy.

I don't miss Smith... He was infuriating to watch for 60/82 games, was so inconsistent. But Hayes is infuriating to watch for 60 games... and he's a heathy scratch for the other 22. Doesn't matter if Smith wasn't a fit here, he had talent, put up pretty good numbers especially for his age, and we got nothing besides cap flexibility. Florida loves him, and Hayes just sucks. I want to like him because he's a big local guy, but he plays like he's 5'6. There's no other way to slice it, this was a horrible trade.

Sweeney is just off his rookie season as a GM. Very, very hot and cold year. If the worst he's gonna screw up is by losing Reilly Smith for more or less nothing, I can deal with it. But hopefully he did learn from it. Also, hopefully Hayes can rebound and be a decent 3rd liner. That's really all we need out of him. IIRC, he's scored 20 goals before. Park your ass in front of the net and do it again.

Agreed. Getting rid of Smith was the right move at the time. He wasn't good in Boston his last year and half of the year before.

Also, I'm not sure what any fan saw in Hayes other than his decent stat line for 1 year. I knew he'd be hated once people got to see him play.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Most fans were trading him for a mid to late pic just to get rid of him as a "binkie".

Hayes played well for the first 20 games or so and then disapeared conpletely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad