Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith + Marc Savard for Jimmy Hayes

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I'd rather have Hayes at his price than Smith at his price

I'd also rather have Hayes on the Bruins than Smith on the Bruins if discounting salaries entirely. Smith is the better player, Hayes is the better fit IMO

I'm not sure that's true. Hayes hasn't shown himself to be a very good hockey player, also plays pretty soft for such a big guy.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Only good fit for Hayes is press box. Aside from 5 minute sequences in every ten or so games, he is a slightly upgraded version of Jordan Caron. To be honest, even Smith is grittier and feistier than Hayes.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I'd rather have Hayes at his price than Smith at his price

I'd also rather have Hayes on the Bruins than Smith on the Bruins if discounting salaries entirely. Smith is the better player, Hayes is the better fit IMO

If by "better fit" you mean he is amongst a large group of fellow Bruins teammates who are marginally skilled with relatively low compete levels most nights, then I 100% agree with you.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Reilly Smith played 81 games for the Bruins last season.

He signed his extension on the 6th. He played in games the 7th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 22nd, and so on and so forth
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelog/_/id/2500990/year/2015/reilly-smith

He was healthy scratched for one night, the 21st on the front end of a back to back..a tool that has been used plenty throughout the years with many great players through the years. The next night, he came back with a goal and an assist against Chicago, and finished the month with 5 points in the next 4 games following that scratch.

If anything, Claude gave Reilly too long of a leash, leaving him with Bergeron and Marchand for too long while the "magic" of that line had seem to fall away

But I mean..being sat 1 game in his entire 164 career with the Bruins. Let's be honest, using that as a talking point is as politician as it gets. Are you gunning for a VP spot Dan?! :laugh:
Thanks for exposing me as a fraud. Going to add Windex to the grocery list.

#blamesweeneyp

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The Celtics of the Pitino and Chris Wallace days taught me a valuable lesson:

No matter how bad you think a player is, don't fall into the "just get him out of here because anyone will be better" attitude. When you do that you end up just going further down a hole of trading one guy for a worse guy/contract and that worse guy/contract for an even worse guy/contract.

Players go up and down in their careers and if someone has a bad year you can't just say "get rid of them". Sometimes it's better to wait and see if they bounce back and then keep them or make a deal for an actual asset. Trading to get rid of a guy almost always fails.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
The Celtics of the Pitino and Chris Wallace days taught me a valuable lesson:

No matter how bad you think a player is, don't fall into the "just get him out of here because anyone will be better" attitude. When you do that you end up just going further down a hole of trading one guy for a worse guy/contract and that worse guy/contract for an even worse guy/contract.

Players go up and down in their careers and if someone has a bad year you can't just say "get rid of them". Sometimes it's better to wait and see if they bounce back and then keep them or make a deal for an actual asset. Trading to get rid of a guy almost always fails.

One year out trade has been big loss BUT Bruins needs to take the excellent advice you give her and apply it to .....jimmy Hayes. He had a bad year, he may never be as good as smith, but he is 6-6 and has hands and can play in that league. If Hayes goes in a hockey trade fine with me, at this point he is a 3rd/4th liner with upside and those aren't untouchable. But I don't give him away or run him out of town. Maybe he needed a year to acclimate to pressure of hometown, maybe he needs to be in better shape, maybe he needs s confidence boost. Maybe all those things. I give him another shot

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Reilly Smith = Kris Versteeg

A second line winger who should probably be a third line winger on a contender.

Hayes = borderline NHL player

Needs to score 30+ points a year to be considered a third line guy, doesn't do anything extra to be a good fourth liner.

I think Reilly Smith is nothing like Versteeg and his career arc has way way more potential.

Reilly Smith has the potential to be an all situations type player, I really believe that. He's also bigger and stronger than Versteeg. I also think Reilly could top out at a low end 1st line player. 25 goals a year gets you that title. He's got 25g potential year in, year out.

member 96824

Thanks for exposing me as a fraud. Going to add Windex to the grocery list.

#blamesweeneyp

Not going after you personally, but just seen that point made a few times around the board from others as well.

For the windex, mount a scope on top and put it on the targeted setting and not the spray. Way more fun:naughty:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not going after you personally, but just seen that point made a few times around the board from others as well.

For the windex, mount a scope on top and put it on the targeted setting and not the spray. Way more fun:naughty:

Smith is a real good player we should have kept him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->