Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith + Marc Savard for Jimmy Hayes

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Code:
Huge part of the trade that is under discussed is the getting rid of Savard's deal. If I interpreted it correctly we couldn't spend his money in FA and could only free up his cap once the season started.

Not entirely correct.

They could have spent it in the offseason because they can exceed the cap by 10%

Then they have 3 options to place Savard on LTIR - one is on day one of the season and another is prior to day one (Bruins have used both options in the past). Day one option requires "paper transactions" to become compliant until they place him on LTIR - which they did 3 years ago by sending Krug/Hamilton to Providence and immediately recalling them (paper transaction) once Savard went on LTIR.

There was no "real" monetary or cap savings for the Bruins (unless their intention was not to spend to the cap) and has no benefit to Florida this year as they are $12 million over the floor anyway. Where it may very well help Florida is for next season.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Code:

Not entirely correct.

They could have spent it in the offseason because they can exceed the cap by 10%

Then they have 3 options to place Savard on LTIR - one is on day one of the season and another is prior to day one (Bruins have used both options in the past). Day one option requires "paper transactions" to become compliant until they place him on LTIR - which they did 3 years ago by sending Krug/Hamilton to Providence and immediately recalling them (paper transaction) once Savard went on LTIR.

There was no "real" monetary or cap savings for the Bruins (unless their intention was not to spend to the cap) and has no benefit to Florida this year as they are $12 million over the floor anyway. Where it may very well help Florida is for next season.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. Figures I had interpreted that stuff wrong, just going to let everyone else do it from now on hahaha

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. Figures I had interpreted that stuff wrong, just going to let everyone else do it from now on hahaha

The Savard trade did save ole JJ some money but didn't do a whole lot for us as B's fans. We did get a 6'6 stiff from the Boston area though... I recently saw someone post that we should get Kreider and the other Hayes and make a Hayes, Hayes, Kreider line... I would be all for that if we played against opponents dressed in super-villain outfits and the outcome of the game was scripted... The Hayes brothers are overrated...

I actually wish we had Smith back. Hayes is on another planet it seems and that planet doesn't have hockey...

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
The Savard trade did save ole JJ some money but didn't do a whole lot for us as B's fans. We did get a 6'6 stiff from the Boston area though... I recently saw someone post that we should get Kreider and the other Hayes and make a Hayes, Hayes, Kreider line... I would be all for that if we played against opponents dressed in super-villain outfits and the outcome of the game was scripted... The Hayes brothers are overrated...

I actually wish we had Smith back. Hayes is on another planet it seems and that planet doesn't have hockey...

Jimmy doesn't like recriminations.
Jimmy's beat up blokes outside the Eire Pub for less on many a'night..

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Don't miss Reilly, wouldn't miss Hayes if he doesn't get it together

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah if hes this soft and unmotivated playing in his home town I think we might want to look to move him before he becomes 14 or 15 on the forward depth chart and there's talk about waiving him and sending him to Providence.

HE NEVER HITS.

If you told me that he wasn't going to get traded before his contract ended I'd put money on him being placed on waivers and playing for Providence before the end of the next 3 years.

That said we are more than due for one of his rare occasional good games I think he'll pot a couple when he plays next and get people off his back.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Hayes was a good idea at the time however he hasn't done anything to win me over...I would take Smith over him however knowing what I know now would have never traded for Hayes but some other player.

No doubt he will be the dude sitting when Pasta returns.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Hayes was a good idea at the time however he hasn't done anything to win me over...I would take Smith over him however knowing what I know now would have never traded for Hayes but some other player.

No doubt he will be the dude sitting when Pasta returns.

I'd agree with this assessment, I don't dislike Hayes or his effort, but I think our other right winger options bring more to the table. Eriksson, Connolly, Pasta, even Randell in his role.

I don't know that I'll ever view this as a bad trade, unless Smith ends up being something more than I ever thought he would.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I'd rather have Hayes at 2.3 per than Smith at 3.5 per

There both 3rd liners

Hayes on pace for 38 points
SMith on pace for 39 points

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Could PIT be looking for a forward to replace Dupuis?
Hayes would fit in nicely with PITS's game.

Wishful thinking, maybe, but I don't think Pitt is dumb enough to make that trade, if they've seen Hayes play at all...:laugh:

I just don't get it with this kid. He's bigger than Wheeler even, yet I still recall him being unable to take the puck of a smaller, WAY smaller Hab a few nights ago. I don't care that he doesn't fight - a lot of guys don't do that, but after that elbow to the head against Edmonton, you'd think this kid would start to toughen himself up just to protect himself.

It's just sad really. Marchand and Vatrano are tiny in comparison, yet both are stronger on the puck and much tougher. And that's not even to mention the lack of offense....I know Pasta wasn't exactly playing great hockey when he got hurt, but i'd rather see him push this guy out of the line up. The Hayes experiment has backfired so far.

Bad Hat Harry

Michael Scarn
Sep 27, 2010
Boston, MA
Wishful thinking, maybe, but I don't think Pitt is dumb enough to make that trade, if they've seen Hayes play at all...:laugh:

I just don't get it with this kid. He's bigger than Wheeler even, yet I still recall him being unable to take the puck of a smaller, WAY smaller Hab a few nights ago. I don't care that he doesn't fight - a lot of guys don't do that, but after that elbow to the head against Edmonton, you'd think this kid would start to toughen himself up just to protect himself.

It's just sad really. Marchand and Vatrano are tiny in comparison, yet both are stronger on the puck and much tougher. And that's not even to mention the lack of offense....I know Pasta wasn't exactly playing great hockey when he got hurt, but i'd rather see him push this guy out of the line up. The Hayes experiment has backfired so far.

He's not a scoring machine, but he's playing at .48 points per game pace. In Florida, he averaged .42 points per game.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Depth is nice and so is the 1 M in cap space but this guy is a dud. Ship him outta town for a PK guy that provides energy at the first chance possible. Makes me miss Chris Kelly. We are playing Bergeron and Krecji far to much in defensive situations. Connolly is the better option to move up and around and gulp I'd keep Talbot as the extra guy over him due to cap and value.

What would you get for a pick for him late 3rd?

I know he wasn't here when Benning was but that team stinks and I wonder if they'd give up someone decent for a NHL body that likely jumps into their top 6. I really like what Cole Cassels projects as a 3rd line centre and Bruins fans would love him in 2/3 years.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
He's not a scoring machine, but he's playing at .48 points per game pace. In Florida, he averaged .42 points per game.

It's kind of hard to say he's on any kind of pace. He had within a short period of time a 3 point game and a 4 point game. In his other 23 games he has 5 points. He got off to a good start and fell off the edge of the earth.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I was on record of not liking the trade when it happened and I'm still not a fan of it. Someone said we're remembering Reilly too fondly but I think the opposite is true. People are way too hard on him for being meh last season but forget just how good he was as a rookie. He had a sophomore slump, it happens sometimes. I still think he is much more skilled than Hayes and would rather still have him tbh. Jimmy has flashes of looking effective but they seem few and far between. Too many games he's totally invisible.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Here is the thing with Smith.

He has second line 25-30 goal talent but he plays a somewhat perimeter game and leans to a passive style.

He has skills but he never really fit in stylistically or emotionally with this team.

My best guesstimate is Brad Marchand had a problem with him. Smith was not part of the 'Cup core' and from what I heard is introverted.

Marchand can say he loves him if he wants but my take is Marchand sees his best buddy get traded for this guy, he comes right in and finds himself getting power play time while Marchand isn't, pretty much force feed on the team. It was so freaking obvious from Claude's comments the first open practice on that Saturday at the Garden about Smith being gritty- come on Claude cut the BS. That Brad comment about 'passengers' was specifically directed at one guy folks- Reilly Smith. Fact not opinion. I laughed out loud when Bruins fans speculated if it was Lucic. ****ing hilarious

When you watch how the Bruins targeted his brother especially Marchand and Chara, but the entire crew I couldn't help but think if it was my brother- opposition or not, I'd be pissed. To me it was obvious what they were doing.

I was a Smith guy until I started seeing him not exactly sacrificing or taking hits to make plays, or just make hits. If I could see it, they as in his teammates and Don Sweeney could as well.

Chiarelli wanted this to work bad and had he not get canned Smith is certainly still here. Sweeney knew and why he dealt him and that contract to Florida.

I like Hayes but the deal is really a third line LW who can move up and down the lineup in Smith for the same in Beleskey.

Only a fantasy game player or living in a fantasy can see Smith is better than Beleskey for Boston.

When Smith got the contract extension he was soon at his worst for whatever reason and ended up a healthy scratch. A head scratcher as to why he played like he was depressed not joyful getting such a great contract much, much more than he warranted. It's as if Chiarelli was hoping he would play up to it.

Some athletes cant play in Boston and this team especially that is based on grit and a tight core.

He never ever fit in.

Florida is a perfect place to score 25 a year and have clueless Bruins fans eventually post we never shoulda traded him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Great post DKH. He's one of those guys that it a good player just not in Boston and it's time to move on.

coming from you extra special- respect your hockey knowledge big time

yah, I liked Reilly I really did but he became maddening with his inconsistency and looked like he checked out; it was time to go

I'm not the only one who thinks this of Marchand- I got a bunch of long time Bruins friends who are everything from season ticket holders to watch every game three times:laugh: and they think the same thing about Brad's comments and his disdain for the way he got power play time while Marchand didnt

BigBadBruin

Aug 21, 2002
Saskatoon
Totally agree DKH, especially with your guess that Marchand had a problem with him. You could see it on the ice. I used to get pissed at Marchand when he would pass up dishing to Smith but stuff like this carries to the ice, like it or not. Its another reason BM and PB work so well together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad