Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith + Marc Savard for Jimmy Hayes

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I was on record of not liking the trade when it happened and I'm still not a fan of it. Someone said we're remembering Reilly too fondly but I think the opposite is true. People are way too hard on him for being meh last season but forget just how good he was as a rookie. He had a sophomore slump, it happens sometimes. I still think he is much more skilled than Hayes and would rather still have him tbh. Jimmy has flashes of looking effective but they seem few and far between. Too many games he's totally invisible.

Reily scored 2 goals in his last 35 games in 13-14

And scored 4 goals in his last 45 games in 14-15

Smith scored 33 goals as a bruins (10 of those goals where in one crazy hot month of December his rookie year)

Beside for that one month he was terrible his 2 year bruin career

Last edited:

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Here is the thing with Smith.

He has second line 25-30 goal talent but he plays a somewhat perimeter game and leans to a passive style.

He has skills but he never really fit in stylistically or emotionally with this team.

My best guesstimate is Brad Marchand had a problem with him. Smith was not part of the 'Cup core' and from what I heard is introverted.

Marchand can say he loves him if he wants but my take is Marchand sees his best buddy get traded for this guy, he comes right in and finds himself getting power play time while Marchand isn't, pretty much force feed on the team. It was so freaking obvious from Claude's comments the first open practice on that Saturday at the Garden about Smith being gritty- come on Claude cut the BS. That Brad comment about 'passengers' was specifically directed at one guy folks- Reilly Smith. Fact not opinion. I laughed out loud when Bruins fans speculated if it was Lucic. ****ing hilarious

When you watch how the Bruins targeted his brother especially Marchand and Chara, but the entire crew I couldn't help but think if it was my brother- opposition or not, I'd be pissed. To me it was obvious what they were doing.

I was a Smith guy until I started seeing him not exactly sacrificing or taking hits to make plays, or just make hits. If I could see it, they as in his teammates and Don Sweeney could as well.

Chiarelli wanted this to work bad and had he not get canned Smith is certainly still here. Sweeney knew and why he dealt him and that contract to Florida.

I like Hayes but the deal is really a third line LW who can move up and down the lineup in Smith for the same in Beleskey.

Only a fantasy game player or living in a fantasy can see Smith is better than Beleskey for Boston.

When Smith got the contract extension he was soon at his worst for whatever reason and ended up a healthy scratch. A head scratcher as to why he played like he was depressed not joyful getting such a great contract much, much more than he warranted. It's as if Chiarelli was hoping he would play up to it.

Some athletes cant play in Boston and this team especially that is based on grit and a tight core.

He never ever fit in.

Florida is a perfect place to score 25 a year and have clueless Bruins fans eventually post we never shoulda traded him.

Thanks for posting this, it's interesting what goes on in the locker room. I hope there is none of that holding something against someone that they really can't control going on in the locker room this year. Does anyone not fit in with the current team in the locker room?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks for posting this, it's interesting what goes on in the locker room. I hope there is none of that holding something against someone that they really can't control going on in the locker room this year. Does anyone not fit in with the current team in the locker room?

The only thing I heard was at the season ticket event was they had a great room. That was before Kelly went down and he was a big piece. Kelly apparently used to speak to the team between second and third about what has gone on in first two periods and what they needed to do in third. He was respected and usually nailed it. After the game he got hurt that they lost against Dallas in an article in the Globe Marchand mentioned this. They have adjusted and I would not be surprised if Marchand has used this as an opportunity to speak up and use what he learned from Kelly

My money says they got a strong unit as their very good road record shows

Sweeney played a 1000 NHL games he knows chemistry and accountability can help when you may not have your best day but can claw and scratch out a win

He signed and deafted a lot of captains leaders/character guys

The canucks were more talented in 2011 but the Bruins when it came to intangibles were off the charts

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
The only thing I heard was at the season ticket event was they had a great room. That was before Kelly went down and he was a big piece. Kelly apparently used to speak to the team between second and third about what has gone on in first two periods and what they needed to do in third. He was respected and usually nailed it. After the game he got hurt that they lost against Dallas in an article in the Globe Marchand mentioned this. They have adjusted and I would not be surprised if Marchand has used this as an opportunity to speak up and use what he learned from Kelly

My money says they got a strong unit as their very good road record shows

Sweeney played a 1000 NHL games he knows chemistry and accountability can help when you may not have your best day but can claw and scratch out a win

He signed and deafted a lot of captains leaders/character guys

The canucks were more talented in 2011 but the Bruins when it came to intangibles were off the charts

Thats really encouraging, thanks for all the info.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Would not be suprised to see Hayes traded this off season. Unless there are some changes to his game he won't play out his contract here.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's struggling out there, no doubt. It doesn't help that he's playing with a rookie who's hit a wall and Spooner, who hasn't been very good at 5v5 this year.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Love to get rid of Hayes and save some of his cap hit and give his ice time to Randall.The kid is better in all aspects without a doubt.Not even close to me.Pastrnak be back soon too however so someone goin somewheres.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
No question, Reilly has the advantage in the trade thusfar. He's doubled his goal production over Hayes (8to4), while averaging more than 18 minutes TOI compared to Hayes' 12. Smitty has played PP and Pk where Hayes has, on occasion, been a guest in the luxury suites at the coach's invitation. Still too early to call the trade a win for Florida, but it's ahead at this point.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
He's just a big nothing player. When Pasta gets back he should be in the pressbox. Doesnt score, hit, fight, PK, defend well, pass well or do anything at all. I'm really disappointed n the trade

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Is a 2 year deal long term? We saved a million dollars on Hayes vs smith. It's a good trade for that alone, smith was a puddle here, and would continue to be one if he never left. Florida gave us cap flexibility and a mediocre streaky player for a slightly better mediocre streaky player. Still like the trade

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Is a 2 year deal long term? We saved a million dollars on Hayes vs smith. It's a good trade for that alone, smith was a puddle here, and would continue to be one if he never left. Florida gave us cap flexibility and a mediocre streaky player for a slightly better mediocre streaky player. Still like the trade

Spot on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad