Glencross - Cervenka - Hudler
this will be our 2nd pp unit

first unit
Cammy - Tangs - Iggy
Brodie - Widemen

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
It could happen but last game we moved Tangs back to center and ran with Brodie - Widemen but that might have been because we were desperate for a goalie and brodie can hold the puck in better than Tangs

I hope Backlund plays first line PP, he has deserved it with his play so far.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I hope Backlund plays first line PP, he has deserved it with his play so far.

I would agree we could also see that position in front of the net as a revolving door and give a lot of guys a chance Backlund,Stajan,Stempniak etc (all have played well enough to earn some pp time)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Babchuck has also been cleared for contact, he is traveling to detroit with the team so we may see

Cammy - Tangs - Iggy
Babchuck - Widemen

on the pp

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Babchuck has also been cleared for contact, he is traveling to detroit with the team so we may see

Cammy - Tangs - Iggy
Babchuck - Widemen

on the pp

That'd be a recipe for disaster. Wideman's not the fastest skater, and Babchuk is Babchuk. If the PKers had a forward who's even remotely quick and the puck gets to the neutral zone, hello SH goal against. If they do use Babs, they should stick him on the 2nd unit with Gio, JBo or Brodie.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
JBo doesn't have the big shot to be effective on the PP

He doesn't have to. He has the skating ability and puck smarts to actively jump into the slot area to create not only space for himself but for his team-mates as well.

He had 9 PPG in his last year in Florida for a reason. When used correctly he is a huge asset to any powerplay unit.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Should Babchuk replace Butler?

He can't be any worse.. right?

I don't know, personally I don't like Babchuk. Also, Butler had a very good game on saturday so I would stick with Smith-Butler next game. I like that this does increase the competition so the bottom pairing will really need to up their game.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Jbo actually has a very underrated slap shot. We rarely got to see it under Sutter. I remember one game last year where he almost took the goalies head off. Really though, that's not his game. More often than not he wrists pucks at the night, uses his speed from the point, and will do the back door play on PP.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Jbo actually has a very underrated slap shot. We rarely got to see it under Sutter. I remember one game last year where he almost took the goalies head off. Really though, that's not his game. More often than not he wrists pucks at the night, uses his speed from the point, and will do the back door play on PP.

My concern would be how accurate is he? He may have a decent shot, but can it be relied on consistently?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My concern would be how accurate is he? He may have a decent shot, but can it be relied on consistently?

Minus this season, we have only seen Jbo in Calgary play for Sutter. Usually dman with great slap shots play on the weak side on the PP as a weapon. There was never any game plan for Bouwmeester to do this as he usually was used as a QB on the 2nd unit. I am not suggesting he has a shot that rivals the Anton's, rather that his shot is underrated. Jbo is an intelligent player and he picks his spots, when I have seen him use it he has been fairly accurate.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Butler played great last game, when he is used properly as a #5 defensemen he does rather well. The problem has always been that we either use him as a #2 defensemen or not at all.

Butler is his own worst enemy, when he isn't playing with confidence issues then he can be quite effective. The problem is, he is prone to some real stinkers and has been ever since he was in Buffalo. If he can limit his mistakes and learn to play more confidence he is an ideal bottom pairing dman.

I also think Smith is every bit as good and personally I slightly prefer him over Butler. The problem is though Butler was the centerpiece we got back in the Regehr deal so expectations will always be high for him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Butler is his own worst enemy, when he isn't playing with confidence issues then he can be quite effective. The problem is, he is prone to some real stinkers and has been ever since he was in Buffalo. If he can limit his mistakes and learn to play more confidence he is an ideal bottom pairing dman.

I also think Smith is every bit as good and personally I slightly prefer him over Butler. The problem is though Butler was the centerpiece we got back in the Regehr deal so expectations will always be high for him.

I like Smith's passing game much better but Butler is much better around his own net Smith has a hard time moving people around. I agree that Butler makes mistakes but I also think alot of that has to do with playing over 21 minutes a night he just can't do that. I think he is a good #4 defensemen but with the huge separation(crazy we have 3 defensemen over 24 minutes a night and no one else over 17) in our top 3 defensemen and our bottom 3 he fits just fine in the bottom 3

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
I want to see these lines disparately

Tanguay Cammy Iginla
Hudler Backlund Cervenka
Glencross Stajan Stempiak
Jackman Jones Begin-Comeau

same D

or

Tanguay Backlund Iginla
Cammy Cervenka Hudler
Glencross Stajan Stempniak

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I would go with
Cammy - Tangs - Iggy
Cervenka - Stajan - Hudler (don't mess with success)
Glencross - Backlund - Stempniak/Sven(when he is healthy)

I would like to move Sarich + Stempniak for Clowe and Murray (we would have to add) it would give us a real mean line with Clowe and Glencross

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Smith's passing game much better but Butler is much better around his own net Smith has a hard time moving people around. I agree that Butler makes mistakes but I also think alot of that has to do with playing over 21 minutes a night he just can't do that. I think he is a good #4 defensemen but with the huge separation(crazy we have 3 defensemen over 24 minutes a night and no one else over 17) in our top 3 defensemen and our bottom 3 he fits just fine in the bottom 3

I agree with your assessments of their games. I just slightly prefer Smith because I feel he offers a better overall package, but no question Butler is superior at clearing the crease. Both of them are very good skaters.

I actually like our top 4 pairings right now and I am glad Brodie is getting more minutes. He is a top 4 dman and although it is very early in his career, he has been solid this season. I think Butler playing the minutes you said can be a good asset to this team providing he can limit his mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad