Line Combos: Regular Season Lineups

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'm just praying that we get cammy and kipper back for Saturday. Without those two our chances of beating the nucks is significantly lowered. Losing backlund isn't the end of the world. He's played like a 3rd liner for most of this season, street can do a great job in that role. Who knows maybe we'll see reinhart!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'm just praying that we get cammy and kipper back for Saturday. Without those two our chances of beating the nucks is significantly lowered. Losing backlund isn't the end of the world. He's played like a 3rd liner for most of this season, street can do a great job in that role. Who knows maybe we'll see reinhart!

I'm not terribly worried about not having Kipper, he usually gets beaten often by the Canucks and Irving beat them last year.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'm not terribly worried about not having Kipper, he usually gets beaten often by the Canucks and Irving beat them last year.

Irving looked shakey last night against the blue jackets...I would rather have kipper, Irving is not ready to face elite offense.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Irving looked shakey last night against the blue jackets...I would rather have kipper, Irving is not ready to face elite offense.

Irving looked shaky and yet that was a better performance then almost every Kipper start this year. Kipper is a great goalie and he started off terribly and yet people were giving him time to find his legs why can't we extend the same logic to Irving he needs time to find his groove as well and unlike Kipper he didn't lose the game for us.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Irving looked shaky and yet that was a better performance then almost every Kipper start this year. Kipper is a great goalie and he started off terribly and yet people were giving him time to find his legs why can't we extend the same logic to Irving he needs time to find his groove as well and unlike Kipper he didn't lose the game for us.

The difference between kipper playing bad and Irving's first game is huge. Kipper, though he's had some bad games, still looks like an elite goalie and he has made some elite saves in pretty much every game. Irving looks like he is about to piss himself when a puck is tossed his way. Irving has the ability to be a starter, but after only 1 NHL game this year, I'd easily pass on starting him against the sedin twins.

Kipper will come around, he always does, he is the flames best chance at a win on most nights.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The difference between kipper playing bad and Irving's first game is huge. Kipper, though he's had some bad games, still looks like an elite goalie and he has made some elite saves in pretty much every game. Irving looks like he is about to piss himself when a puck is tossed his way. Irving has the ability to be a starter, but after only 1 NHL game this year, I'd easily pass on starting him against the sedin twins.

I don't care that Kipper has more skill, I care about results at the end of the day Irving gave us a chance to win something Kipper has rarely done this season. If Irving being nervous gets us a win think of how much better he will be in a couple of games when he gets use to playing consistently. You see a problem I see an opportunity to make Irving into a starting goaltender.

Kipper didn't become a full time start until what 26/27? Kipper didn't look great until he was given the starting role and found his groove in it give Irving some time and he will calm down and who knows we may have a future starter.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Keep in mind last night was Irvings first start of the season, and IMO he looked less shaky than Kipper against the Sharks and Avs so I think there is something to be said for letting him settle in. I think he will come out a lot more confident against the Canucks and in the final period last night you could tell he was feeling a lot more comfortable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Someone on CP mentioned Max Reinhart. He has been putting up points lately and for a one or two game stretch, it might be a good way to reward him and give him a taste of the NHL.
Don't mean to toot my own horn but someone here mentioned him too.

Another possibility if Feaster/Hartley look at recent play in Max Reinhart. Since the lockout ended Reinhart's game has gone to a whole new level. He has recorded 8 points in 11 games and has been one of Abbotsford's best players. It would be a good opportunity to show a kid that if you play well you will get a shot, it would also be a good way to see where Reinhart is with his development since the Flames were unable to evaluate him during training camp.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

Kipper will come around, he always does, he is the flames best chance at a win on most nights.

The teams dependency on a goaltender like Kipper is dangerous. Relying on a goalie to bail out your team every game is a TERRIBLE mentality. The Flames needs to focus on better defence and offense, then the team could settle in with an average goal tender and still look very good. Kipper won't be around forever, and we need to see what our other goalies have in them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I guess Kipper and Backlund have been placed on IR, meaning Kiprusoff will not be available until the 15th or 16th and Backlund will not be available until the 17th or 18th.

Babchuk has also been activated.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So... we're looking at these guys for Saturday:

Glencross - Tanguay - Iginla
Hudler - Stajan - Cervenka
Comeau - Street - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Granted, it doesn't look "jump off a bridge" horrible but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either.

This deal is getting worse all the time. /Lando

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
So... we're looking at these guys for Saturday:

Comeau - Street - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Granted, it doesn't look "jump off a bridge" horrible but it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence either.

This deal is getting worse all the time. /Lando

So much for depth scoring....? Lets hope that those top 2 lines can produce.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
So much for depth scoring....? Lets hope that those top 2 lines can produce.

Well, what do you expect when three top nine forwards are out of your lineup. Even having the option to have two former 25 goal scorers on your third line after all these injuries is an encouraging sign in itself.

I would have preferred Feaster calling up Horak and rolling with these lines myself;

Horak - Jones - Stempniak
Comeau - Begin - Jackman

Can't really be to upset however seeing as Street has earned this call up, and deserves an opportunity.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Lots of Comeau hate but I would put him in the top 9 so Glencross and Stempniak can play together to even out the scoring lines:

Comeau-Tanguay-Iginla
Hudler-Stajan-Cervenka
Glencross-Jones-Stempniak
Begin-Street-Jackman

The way I see it is no way anyone on the above 4th line should see top 9 minutes, Street because it's his first game and Jackman and Begin only being 4th liners.

So that leaves Comeau. At least he can take the puck deep into the zone and get it moving out of his own end with his speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad