Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
We’re reaching that point I was talking about wrt the economy. The shut downs need to end quickly.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I saw Trump was asked and kind of agreed with us on the cruise lines. They might have to register in the US/pay taxes to receive bail out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Watching this province pretend to do things to stop the virus is amusing...

725 cases as of right now, 4:17pm and keep in mind, there are thousands of tests that are delayed and not coming back with results yet, this is how unprepared they are. Meanwhile, you can go get groceries with no social distancing and continue to spread this wonderful virus because, why not, let's keep being idiots.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Or they need to stay and the government needs to get it together and get money out to everyone.
It's usually the uber wealthy that are whining about it to Trump to lift the restrictions, I mean did you read how Bezos asked for help? That tosser has so much money, he could probably help the entire country out and still end up being the richest person on earth.

Stuff like that, yeah he shouldn't have to, but he still shirks tax responsibilities and whines about needing help, so f*** him and f*** people like him, go after shitheads like that.

Keep in mind - This is why I think no one will say shit to China, when you've made it so your entire economy is dependent on their import/export, yeah, lol, you aren't going to say shit outside of mutually agreed to shit talk that they say you can say.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate some mates that work in the government here in BC, some in those liquor stores and some in at an risk youth place that is government run, just people you meet through friends...the irony - the at risk youth place, he's not at work and the liquor store is.

So one is considered essential, the other isn't. This is how ass f***ing backwards this place is. There are delivery services, use them. Grocery stores can also utilize them, why keep putting people at risk? There are infected people going to grocery stores, touching all the products and someone is taking it home and not realizing it or getting the chance to disinfect before they are already touching and touched their face, etc.

I just don't get the logistics of this.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Watching this province pretend to do things to stop the virus is amusing...

725 cases as of right now, 4:17pm and keep in mind, there are thousands of tests that are delayed and not coming back with results yet, this is how unprepared they are. Meanwhile, you can go get groceries with no social distancing and continue to spread this wonderful virus because, why not, let's keep being idiots.

Starting to wonder if this will take millions of people world wide at this point, not dead but to catch the virus. Let's just keep hanging out and spreading this shit, why not? just a flu even though the flu does not cause all these places to shut down. Pretty sure I will get it, hell I get co workers breathing in my face on purpose thinking this virus is a joke. It aint the spanish flu but it's still serious and spreadable and kills quite a bit of people.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I hate some mates that work in the government here in BC, some in those liquor stores and some in at an risk youth place that is government run, just people you meet through friends...the irony - the at risk youth place, he's not at work and the liquor store is.

So one is considered essential, the other isn't. This is how ass f***ing backwards this place is. There are delivery services, use them. Grocery stores can also utilize them, why keep putting people at risk? There are infected people going to grocery stores, touching all the products and someone is taking it home and not realizing it or getting the chance to disinfect before they are already touching and touched their face, etc.

I don't think grocery delivery services are equipped logistically to serve the majority of the population. Maybe I'm wrong and they can be easily scaled up quickly but somehow I doubt it.

Here in the US, I think gig economy workers that might be delivering for Instacart are gonna think long and hard about just accepting those $600 stimulus bucks a week versus Instacarting. Unless Instacart pays through the nose for 'em.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think grocery delivery services are equipped logistically to serve the majority of the population. Maybe I'm wrong and they can be easily scaled up quickly but somehow I doubt it.

Here in the US, I think gig economy workers that might be delivering for Instacart are gonna think long and hard about just accepting those $600 stimulus bucks a week versus Instacarting. Unless Instacart pays through the nose for 'em.
Some of the smaller things yeah I think it could definitely work, the issue is there are a lot of Uber drivers and Cab drivers that are also struggling for work, if we're going to get out of this on the right side, they need to start utilizing more of these options, because I can tell you right now, a lot of people are thinking whether they should quarantine or go to work and they're risking going to work while sick or not even sure they are sick because testing facilities are crap right now and will just continue to spread this.

I am guessing the issue here is the same in a lot of places - A lot of tests, not enough results coming back, so the jumps are going to be insane.

Like 65+ case jumps per day in one area is a little ridiculous still.

Edit: For example, the gf and I are trying to help support the restaurant industry by ordering skip and doordash, I am definitely generously tipping these drivers, but also making sure if I can help out by ordering food and avoiding my gf going to the grocery store unless its absolutely necessary is all I can do and it still feels helpless when there are thousands just not really being smart about it still.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Is that not the market at work though?

Historically speaking, there's a good argument that the only reason we have a middle class at all in the West is because the Black Death killed so many people in Europe that surviving workers, not just master craftsmen and guild members, were able to negotiate cash wages, since they were in such demand. :dunno:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Starting to wonder if this will take millions of people world wide at this point, not dead but to catch the virus. Let's just keep hanging out and spreading this shit, why not? just a flu even though the flu does not cause all these places to shut down. Pretty sure I will get it, hell I get co workers breathing in my face on purpose thinking this virus is a joke. It aint the spanish flu but it's still serious and spreadable and kills quite a bit of people.

It’s likely because most people are too selfish- just reality.

Had to get a car battery today and I saw tons of idiots together... playing big games of soccer, riding bikes in packs, my idiot neighbors right on top of each other talking... just people all over doing shit they shouldn’t be doing... and our county is supposed to be locked down for two weeks...

Ya.

Like I told Jaded, all of our generations are full of shameful, selfish assholes.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Is that not the market at work though?

Historically speaking, there's a good argument that the only reason we have a middle class at all in the West is because the Black Death killed so many people in Europe that surviving workers, not just master craftsmen and guild members, were able to negotiate cash wages, since they were in such demand. :dunno:

I suppose so. That's an interesting train of thought about the boobz plague.

If Instacart paid one of their people like $1200/week (and given that they could make $600/week and not work and not risk exposure...why would they take less) I think to do...I dunno, 60 grocery runs/week, that would be $20/order. If Instacart passed that on to its customers it would like increase the price of a grocery run by 20%. Plus it would I think eliminate their discounts and coupons which would probably tack on another 10%. I don't see people paying 30% more. People are cheap! Especially when so many are unemployed themselves.

Then again they did it in Wuhan through big group orders: Wuhan residents on coronavirus lockdown are facing food shortages

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It’s likely because most people are too selfish- just reality.

Had to get a car battery today and I saw tons of idiots together... playing big games of soccer, riding bikes in packs, my idiot neighbors right on top of each other talking... just people all over doing shit they shouldn’t be doing... and our county is supposed to be locked down for two weeks...

Ya.

Like I told Jaded, all of our generations are full of shameful, selfish assholes.

"Yo go isolate in your home"
"Lol just a flu, stop listening to the media sheep! it's all a hoax"

If you need to get out go for a car ride. In the early AM go for a walk or bike ride when everyone is sleeping in. On a sunny day sit on your deck or yard and soak up the sun. Or go for a car ride to a lake that has very little people. I REALLY hate this social distancing as much as the next guy, I really like to be around people and hug girls ( co workers and customers ;) ) but damn.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Some of the pool tables are awesome in that they self-level:

That being said, I have no interest in cruises. Outside of the fact that they are giant petri dishes, the amount of people in one location would send my anxiety through the roof. Does not seem enjoyable to me

Wise words from a Flyers fan. Maybe it is time to believe in humanity again?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
"Yo go isolate in your home"
"Lol just a flu, stop listening to the media sheep! it's all a hoax"

If you need to get out go for a car ride. In the early AM go for a walk or bike ride when everyone is sleeping in. On a sunny day sit on your deck or yard and soak up the sun. Or go for a car ride to a lake that has very little people. I REALLY hate this social distancing as much as the next guy, I really like to be around people and hug girls ( co workers and customers ;) ) but damn.

Okay that is weird. What do you do for a living and why all the hugging.

Reactions: Kurtz

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
We’re reaching that point I was talking about wrt the economy. The shut downs need to end quickly.
No. No they don't. Until the exponential curve quits being so... exponential, we need to behave rationally. Bad decisions, or actually, ignorant indifference made this situation what it is. Let's not compound things by screwing up even more.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

Money. It's all about money. Lots of tax dollars from those liquor sales.

I had a rough day at work. Just an absolute mess. Most people have been decent and understandable but the pieces of trash really come out in times like this. I was just about to leave work, saw we had a few customers out front so I figured I'd call over the next guy in line and ring him through and get him on his way. He looked like he wanted to cause **** but I figured maybe he's had a rough day too. So I ask him what I can do for him, he tells me what he needs, I ring him through. He walks right up and hands me some cash, then starts freaking out because I don't have gloves on (we don't sell food or produce or anything here) because I had just washed my hands and was about to leave. Plus it's not mandatory to wear gloves. He starts to leave and won't take his change (about $19), but then realizes he wants what he came for and I never went out back and got it for him yet, turns back around, still yelling about me not wearing gloves. NEITHER WAS HE. He comes right up to the counter and I say "shouldn't you be 6 feet back?" in a pretty condescending tone at this point, point out he doesn't have gloves either and told him to forget it because he's not getting anything. I then threw his money at him. He flipped me off, twice. Other customers were just laughing at the guy and shaking their head. I'm really running out of patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad