Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Serious question. Why does difference in views or opinion bother so much of the younger generation so much, that they want to censor it?

I have a different way at looking at the world, I'm not saying I'm right. But what angers me to my core is the mob mentality being forced in modern culture where if you step up out of the crowd to dare and question the "mobs" group think, you are immediately castigated, called names and avoided.

You don't have to like me or my opinions. But dear god, there is real danger following the herd. I question everything including what I believe. I am wrong, sometimes I have been proven right. I guess I am skeptic at heart and I trust no one on earth with absolute. Maybe Trump is a danger to us, Maybe Obama really had America's best interest at heart. But am I wrong to ask for evidence when someone offers either thought as fact?

You think I'm wrong, challenge me to offer evidence. I'm more than happy to offer evidence when available or to admit that I can only offer an opinion.

No.... it's a lot easier to call me a loon and move along..... put me on the ban list. I'm not sure how the younger generation ever expects to grow as a person when you only surround yourself with "like minded" robots.

This is even effecting people my age and older. Friends that I used to be able to discuss any topic... now.... not so much. Very sad... have to keep all conversations light and without substance or you know what happens next.

Sorry for being the bane to this board.
The problem isn't that you are a skeptic, the problem is that you believe some wild things that most people reject for good reason, and instead of questioning your own beliefs, you look for validation in others agreeing with you, regardless of how questionable the source or how faintly tethered it is to reality.

This is also why you are in conflict with scientific results, because it contradicts your thought process. Science is about finding answers to questions, not confirming a prior belief.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

Some interesting numbers here especially out of Iceland.

The results of screenings have suggested 0.5% are infected; the true figure is likely higher due to asymptomatic and as a result of many not seeking testing: estimates suggest the real number infected is 1%. Iceland is currently reporting two deaths in 737 patients, CFR. 0.27%; if 1% of the population (364,000) is infected then the corresponding IFR would be 0.05%. However, they have limited infections in the elderly as their test and quarantine measures have seemingly shielded this group, and the deaths will lag by about two weeks after the infections. Iceland’s higher rates of testing, the smaller population. and their ability to ascertain all those with Sars-CoV-2 means they will likely provide an accurate estimate of the CFR and the IFR. Current data from Iceland suggests the IFR is somewhere between 0.05% and 0.14%.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
My UPS guy and I have developed a sociable relationship over the years since he makes so many stops to my house.
He told me the small businesses he deals with are taking massive hits and many of them are saying they are done for. That was very disheartening to hear from someone who deals and talks with these people often, in the local area.

Everytime I see him, before he pulls away, he says, 'stock up and lock up. make sure you have enough food'.

He also said he gets treated like crap and he just goes to work no precautions. They don't care about me at all, he said.

I asked him are you encountering lots of sick people? He said he hasn't seen anything out of the ordinary, which i said for his sake, is a good thing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Serious question. Why does difference in views or opinion bother so much of the younger generation so much, that they want to censor it?

I have a different way at looking at the world, I'm not saying I'm right. But what angers me to my core is the mob mentality being forced in modern culture where if you step up out of the crowd to dare and question the "mobs" group think, you are immediately castigated, called names and avoided.

You don't have to like me or my opinions. But dear god, there is real danger following the herd. I question everything including what I believe. I am wrong, sometimes I have been proven right. I guess I am skeptic at heart and I trust no one on earth with absolute. Maybe Trump is a danger to us, Maybe Obama really had America's best interest at heart. But am I wrong to ask for evidence when someone offers either thought as fact?

You think I'm wrong, challenge me to offer evidence. I'm more than happy to offer evidence when available or to admit that I can only offer an opinion.

No.... it's a lot easier to call me a loon and move along..... put me on the ban list. I'm not sure how the younger generation ever expects to grow as a person when you only surround yourself with "like minded" robots.

This is even effecting people my age and older. Friends that I used to be able to discuss any topic... now.... not so much. Very sad... have to keep all conversations light and without substance or you know what happens next.

Sorry for being the bane to this board.

This isn't about censoring anything. It's about trying to keep politics out of this thread as much as possible.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I can't speak to anyone else, but this thread would be enormously more useful to me if it was just about news about the virus. Preferably with an emphasis on local news (the little that there is).

For instance, Allegheny's health department released new data on hospitalizations today. 20 total since the outbreak began, which is 14 more than the number of current patients yesterday (a number that was stable for 4 days prior). However, it did not specify whether this represents an increase in current hospitalizations (ie, did 14 people show up at area hospitals last night with respiratory issues?), or if these are situations where 14 patients were hospitalized at some point in the last 5 weeks, but finally got test results this morning. That's the sort of thing I'd like more information about. But I have to comb through pages of useless bullshit to figure out that people were arguing about the utility/authenticity of particular types of expertise and nobody said a thing about this until I just did.

The continuous stream of sniping, self-important snideness (not you) and conspiracies (you) is reminding me of why I won't use twitter for any reason. It's aggravating, tangential, purposeless, off-topic clutter. I'm an inch away from throwing the thread on ignore.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
they're all registered in other countries anyway - not one actually flies under the US flag. should have done a better job managing their rainy day funds AND their long-running propensity towards being a breeding ground of pestilence :dunno:

If the cruise lines wanna come to the US taxpayers with their hand out crying about how hard it is... I say they should have saved up for a rainy day! Ate out less! Abstained from that second Americano at their godless Starbucks!

I can't help but notice that cruise lines have a cell phone and an iPad and spend entirely too much time on social media, too. Money and time that could have been better spent elsewhere!

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
they're all registered in other countries anyway - not one actually flies under the US flag. should have done a better job managing their rainy day funds AND their long-running propensity towards being a breeding ground of pestilence :dunno:

I went on a cruise to Bermuda years and years ago.. I was on workman's comp and my friends family had an extra ticket that I paid a few bucks for, nowhere near face value. The only reason i went.

In short, never... ever... ever, will I go on another cruise. Not only was Bermuda a massive dump, the cruise itself was so uncomfortable. It was a very painful week.

Ironically, they had pool tables on the ship... how can you play pool sailing the oceans, lol... what a joke.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I can't speak to anyone else, but this thread would be enormously more useful to me if it was just about news about the virus. Preferably with an emphasis on local news (the little that there is).

For instance, Allegheny's health department released new data on hospitalizations today. 20 total since the outbreak began, which is 14 more than the number of current patients yesterday (a number that was stable for 4 days prior). However, it did not specify whether this represents an increase in current hospitalizations (ie, did 14 people show up at area hospitals last night with respiratory issues?), or if these are situations where 14 patients were hospitalized at some point in the last 5 weeks, but finally got test results this morning. That's the sort of thing I'd like more information about. But I have to comb through pages of useless bullshit to figure out that people were arguing about the utility/authenticity of particular types of expertise and nobody said a thing about this until I just did.

The continuous stream of sniping, self-important snideness (not you) and conspiracies (you) is reminding me of why I won't use twitter for any reason. It's aggravating, tangential, purposeless, off-topic clutter. I'm an inch away from throwing the thread on ignore.

I am guardedly optimistic that Pittsburgh is going to weather the storm pretty well, medically speaking. Low population density combined with a lot of health services.

To your larger/meta point:
People are tribal here. I'll throw myself in this bucket. It's why most of us watch Penguins games just hoping our pet players do well and our whipping boy players suck.

That it switched to politics isn't surprising. It's also unsurprising that this thread is intensely political given that we're talking about how nation(s) should collectively respond to this thing. It's an inherently political topic. I guess there's aspects to talk about that are more individualistic - how is each person coping medically? Socially? Financially? Work life/unemployment? Physical fitness? Mental health? I suppose we could entirely dedicate the thread to that but that wouldn't be quite as interesting.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Someone mentioned Sous Vide...I just can't force myself to buy a kitchen device that is a 1 trick pony. I feel like the air fryer is good at a ton of stuff and I use it at least 10X a week.
Before I got it I would ALWAYS overeat at the restaurant or whatever bc I know that this leftover is gonna taste like garbage in the microwave, oven or on the stove top.

Now I eat until I'm full (instead of eating until I'm about to puke) and don't feel bad about leftovers. I've also lost ~10lbs and spend less on food.
That was me. I know this sounds hyperbolic, but Sous Vide has changed my cooking life. It is anything but a one trick pony. Give me Sous Vide, a vacuum sealer, a cast iron pan (from Erie, PA, of course), an Instant Pot, and a Costco membership and I can do anything.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
Ironically, they had pool tables on the ship... how can you play pool sailing the oceans, lol... what a joke.

Some of the pool tables are awesome in that they self-level:

That being said, I have no interest in cruises. Outside of the fact that they are giant petri dishes, the amount of people in one location would send my anxiety through the roof. Does not seem enjoyable to me

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Some of the pool tables are awesome in that they self-level:

That being said, I have no interest in cruises. Outside of the fact that they are giant petri dishes, the amount of people in one location would send my anxiety through the roof. Does not seem enjoyable to me

Thats pretty cool.
These pool tables did not have that feature hah...
I remember because there was two of them right next to each other. Nobody ever used them.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Pics or it didn't happen!
Can vouch.
I go store to store asking if they want to hire security to watch the store after hours or anything inside.
One hired me to stand in the 'paper aisle' and limit customers to one bag of TP per person.

;)

Reactions: 66-30-33

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
If the cruise lines wanna come to the US taxpayers with their hand out crying about how hard it is... I say they should have saved up for a rainy day! Ate out less! Abstained from that second Americano at their godless Starbucks!

I can't help but notice that cruise lines have a cell phone and an iPad and spend entirely too much time on social media, too. Money and time that could have been better spent elsewhere!

It's not my fault you have no money. This is America, everyone has an equal opportunity! Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and learn to code.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Someone mentioned Sous Vide...I just can't force myself to buy a kitchen device that is a 1 trick pony. I feel like the air fryer is good at a ton of stuff and I use it at least 10X a week.
Before I got it I would ALWAYS overeat at the restaurant or whatever bc I know that this leftover is gonna taste like garbage in the microwave, oven or on the stove top.

Now I eat until I'm full (instead of eating until I'm about to puke) and don't feel bad about leftovers. I've also lost ~10lbs and spend less on food.

Air fryers are legit. I don’t use it as often as you do but it’s useful. I’m someone who likes kitchen “gadgets”, though.

That was me. I know this sounds hyperbolic, but Sous Vide has changed my cooking life. It is anything but a one trick pony. Give me Sous Vide, a vacuum sealer, a cast iron pan (from Erie, PA, of course), an Instant Pot, and a Costco membership and I can do anything.

Is sous vide really worth it?

You’d have to throw a stand mixer into that list. So f***ing useful. They just take up space and are annoying af to move when you need it. Someone mentioned people making bread, I’ll probably do that next week to have something to do, or bagels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad