Referees, power plays and ''let them play''

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
I have zero attachment to the human element of officiating. It's the worst part of the game imo.

If we could automate it completely, I'd be all for it.

In the meantime, we should look to minimize the number of calls made in the interests of game management and maximize the use of the rulebook.

This! x1000

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Im just going to reiterate what the guy above me said. The bolded text is a HUGE problem because the same referee teams don't ref the whole series. Its confusing for players and fans alike.

Not to mention, it seems they call EVERYTHING on the borderline against the Ducks, but those borderline calls that the Hawks commit don't get called. There is something wrong there. And you keep claiming human error, but not everybody takes that as an acceptable defense for what we have seen, but you obviously do.

You asked where your bias was?

I just bolded it for you...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I can tell you 100% without bias that the reason he isn't suspended is because there was no injury. Thats a precedent the NHL has set in those circumstances throughout the entire league. So you as a hockey fan should be able to deduce in your head that when Kruger stays in the game, no suspension will be levied against Stoner. Now would anyone really care that Stoner got suspended? Probably not. He has shown to be a complete liability in the final period and OT with his love for icing the puck or passing the puck right through the slot so you guys are probably lucky that he is still playing.

I agree, but at the same time, Stoner
knew how dangerous that hit was.... Let's hope for the sake of humanity he never tries that again.

IMO, injury shouldn't be a factor if a player is being reckless.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I have zero attachment to the human element of officiating. It's the worst part of the game imo.

If we could automate it completely, I'd be all for it.

In the meantime, we should look to minimize the number of calls made in the interests of game management and maximize the use of the rulebook.

That's fine,

If you want 5-6 hour long games, call everything in the book...absolutely, without a doubt,

Like I said before, players, coaches, GMs and owners don't want it,

Ergo, it's not going to happen.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
That's fine,

If you want 5-6 hour long games, call everything in the book...absolutely, without a doubt,

If officials went by the book they would be calling penalties every 30-seconds.

IMO, its really up to the players. The more nasty they get, the more a trivial infraction will be overlooked.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If officials went by the book they would be calling penalties every 30-seconds.

IMO, its really up to the players. The more nasty they get, the more a trivial infraction will be overlooked.

No no, players would adjust...like they did right after the lockout...no really, players are angels and they would adjust....

That's the argument on the other side there....argued by guys that have never really played the game...

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
No no, players would adjust...like they did right after the lockout...no really, players are angels and they would adjust....

That's the argument on the other side there....argued by guys that have never really played the game...

They did adjust, and then over time in the interests of 'game management' - the old rules have been allowed to creep back in.

That's fine,

And if you're going to argue with hyperbole, let me pull out the fallacy bingo card. I think I can knock off at least 3 or 4 squares.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They did adjust, and then over time in the interests of 'game management' - the old rules have been allowed to creep back in.

And if you're going to argue with hyperbole, let me pull out the fallacy bingo card. I think I can knock off at least 3 or 4 squares.

No, they didn't adjust, there still 10-12-14 power plays a game, and it wasn't in the interest of game management, it was in the interest of saving defenseman from getting absolutely hammered....

If you think it's anything like pre-lock out, you are not paying close attention..

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
Then how do you explain why Beleskey being bear-hugged wasn't a penalty when the game was tied? Because the officials didn't see it? No, they choose to ignore things sometimes.

Please read part I bolded from your statement. Like what did you just conjure up in your head? If its not deserving of a penalty then I will refer to it as "not interference". Its also why I said earlier that if the puck were to have gone in simultaneously with that contact they would have probably called no-goal due to incidental contact but its not deserving of an interference penalty. You are allowed to pinch people off using the net like Perry did.

Stuff in front of the net has been called a penalty. A lot of stuff. The Hawks have committed many infractions in front of their net that hasn't been called (e.g., Crawford slash, Keith holding), but so have the Ducks. That's just the way this series is being called, and it's the way most series are called.

However, when players are away from the goal and with a distinct offensive advantage, the refs are not allowing extra leeway. Hossa got a weak holding call on Getzlaf in game 3 which directly lead to a goal; it was away from the net.

If you don't understand why the officials might allow more in front of the net than away from it, I call into question your experience playing and reffing the game.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

They will adjust to what they can and can't get away with.

Every game is different.

The officials know this.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
So do players, coaches and GM's,

Fans seem to disregard it.

IMO, most fans have no on ice experience so it is difficult for them to understand why a penalty in one case is called but in a similar situation its not. Most fans don't understand that the officials will usually warn a player who is testing boundaries before he makes a call.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
IMO, most fans have no on ice experience so it is difficult for them to understand why a penalty in one case is called but in a similar situation its not. Most fans don't understand that the officials will usually warn a player who is testing boundaries before he makes a call.

No, no no, all I've heard is that you don't need on ice experience to see what a call is, or how a game is called,

I mean, if you aren't a brain surgeon you can still tell if he did a good job..right? Or a cop....etc,

xxgt465xx

May 3, 2009
San Clemente, CA
The
No, no no, all I've heard is that you don't need on ice experience to see what a call is, or how a game is called,

I mean, if you aren't a brain surgeon you can still tell if he did a good job..right? Or a cop....etc,

Well I can clearly say when a cop says he was afraid for his life, but ran into the dangerous situation, that he probably is not being very straight-forward or is just not very good at his job. But this is not a political board.

But you just said how a game is called. All referee teams have different standards and make different calls and thats just a huge crock of ****, imho.

If you ever read the Puck Daddy interview of Tim Peel, you will remember that he was asked about calling a dive on a high stick and he felt he had to make the call because the league wanted to crack down on diving. Even though in that situation he called the dive from center ice when the ref down low was calling the high stick and not a dive. So referees do have a narrative to follow and will force calls in spots that make no sense except to fit what they were told to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well I can clearly say when a cop says he was afraid for his life, but ran into the dangerous situation, that he probably is not being very straight-forward or is just not very good at his job. But this is not a political board.

But you just said how a game is called. All referee teams have different standards and make different calls and thats just a huge crock of ****, imho.

If you ever read the Puck Daddy interview of Tim Peel, you will remember that he was asked about calling a dive on a high stick and he felt he had to make the call because the league wanted to crack down on diving. Even though in that situation he called the dive from center ice when the ref down low was calling the high stick and not a dive. So referees do have a narrative to follow and will force calls in spots that make no sense except to fit what they were told to do.

Are you saying it's a crock of **** because it's true,

Or are you saying it's a crock of **** because it's not true?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
By last minutes, you mean 8 minutes left, right?

Considering that there are 60 mins in a game, I'd say that 8 left are the last mins.

Why would I be upset as a Hawks fan?

Seems anti-Hawks fans have an excuse for everything.... Good teams put nonsense behind them... Advercity is part of the game....

So you only want the refs to call a good game when it doesn't benefit the Hawks? As long as the Hawks the the PP you're ok with ticky-tacky **** being called. Sounds about right.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Considering that there are 60 mins in a game, I'd say that 8 left are the last mins.

So you only want the refs to call a good game when it doesn't benefit the Hawks? As long as the Hawks the the PP you're ok with ticky-tacky **** being called. Sounds about right.

It goes both ways.....

I'm not going to get bent over penalties and pretend the Hawks should have won despite reality.

If the Ducks take that into the game tonight they will lose.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
It goes both ways.....

I'm not going to get bent over penalties and pretend the Hawks should have won despite reality.

If the Ducks take that into the game tonight they will lose.

This is a penalty thread. If you don't want to "get bent over penalties" why talk about how refs shouldn't call ticky-tacky **** just to even up games only to retract when your favorite teams gets the benefit from it?

You gotta either call everything or only the most blatant penalties.

This is the playoffs and reffs can't be calling guys for trivial nonsense that happens every 2 seconds...

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

You wouldn't understand what calling a good game consists of, so putting into words what is fair won't compute in your mind...

Put it like this - Kesler is a problem - he has a problem with the rules and he enjoys pushing boundaries, so don't be shocked when he gets called.

Retaliation on a missed call is justified within reason.

Remember the Hawks aren't the big bad physical team going into this series.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You wouldn't understand what calling a good game consists of, so putting into words what is fair won't compute in your mind...

Put it like this - Kesler is a problem - he has a problem with the rules and he enjoys pushing boundaries, so don't be shocked when he gets called.

Retaliation on a missed call is justified within reason.

Remember the Hawks aren't the big bad physical team going into this series.

Your inability to answer a simple question is amusing. Though I assume your refusal to answer is actually a subtle acknowledgement of the point being made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad