Referee Dean Morton tells Brendan Gallagher to go f*** himself (WARNING LANGUAGE IN VIDEO)

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
Why they mic up players/refs when it will only damage naive and ignorant people’s view that hockey is a 60 minute skill competition with physicality, blood, sweat, and tears but absolutely NO bad words or being meannnn I just don’t know.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
No issue with the swearing...but man did the Habs have a reason to be pissed, that game was epically bad when it comes to officiating.
Touch a goalie, pay a price. It’s been that way since the first puck touched the ice. Gallagher’s reputation precedes himself. He clearly tried to take out the skate of the goalie prior to everything and like good teammates do, they reacted to his shenanigans by giving him the business. Too bad.

Given Gallagher’s reputation for goalie interference, he gets no breaks when he is around the net.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I wonder how the Canadiens would do in the KHL. They're the biggest scam in professional sports.

Referees or not.

They suck. Live with it.

But who cares, the coach speaks French hahaha

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Touch a goalie, pay a price. It’s been that way since the first puck touched the ice. Gallagher’s reputation precedes himself. He clearly tried to take out the skate of the goalie prior to everything and like good teammates do, they reacted to his shenanigans by giving him the business. Too bad.

Given Gallagher’s reputation for goalie interference, he gets no breaks when he is around the net.
Oh i don't mean one single play...the refs missed MULTIPLE calls in that game that should have been PPs for the Habs ...and this is a Leafs fan saying this. That was a terribly officiated game.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Ref got called out on his bullshit and responded angrily. I would have done the same in his place.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Unbiased does not mean unemotional.

I did not see the game, but in a greater context, as long as the ref continues to call the game appropriately, I do not, personally, see a problem with a ref swearing at a player giving him a hard time.
Well then you should have seen the officiating last night haha

Reactions: dukeofjive

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Here is what Montreal is looking to get called a penalty. Bench was losing their mind after a blatant dive.

As a habs fan yes it was a dive but i think everything boiled over because the refs missed calls all night including kovys stick being slashed in half, even the stars commentators were amazed it wasn't called. But oh well im on the tank train so who cares lol

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I didn't realize the wrist bone was attached to the leg bones for Habs players. I don't think we can fault the referee for not knowing Habs anatomy.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
As a habs fan yes it was a dive but i think everything boiled over because the refs missed calls all night including kovys stick being slashed in half, even the stars commentators were amazed it wasn't called. But oh well im on the tank train so who cares lol

A dive eh! Wow. So the refs missed an obvious penalty against the Habs.

Should Dallas players/coach take the Montreal route and whine and complain and hurl swears from the bench or put their head down and win the hockey game like they did?

It's pretty obvious after this game one team is mentally fragile and out of the playoffs while the other is mentally tough and constantly comes back from deficits to win hockey games.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Think that was super early in the game and at that point it was clear the refs wouldn't really call penalties this game at all. Often you can see how the game will be officiated with how the game is called early on. Was suprised the refs called penalties at all in the second and was waiting for a makeup in the third or OT for that never came.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Is there a clip that has more than 5fps?

upload_2020-2-16_9-45-23.png

clearly you can see the tripping.....

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Refs need to keep their composure and impartiality at all times. This is not that, at all. If a player curses at you, blow the whistle and give him 2 if you want, but to curse at him shows you have no self control and poor decision making, both attributes of a bad ref.

If you give a player two for not being able to take an expletive, you don’t belong in the NHL.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

Magic Stick

Keep your head up son

Should Dallas players/coach take the Montreal route and whine and complain and hurl swears from the bench or put their head down and win the hockey game like they did?

It's pretty obvious after this game one team is mentally fragile and out of the playoffs while the other is mentally tough and constantly comes back from deficits to win hockey games.

I don't know how old you are man but you should take a step back and calm down buddy. You’re way too involved in this thing.

There is no doubt the officiating was **** last night, Habs didn't get a single PP meanwhile the Stars slashed Kovy, tripped Chariot and bled Domi with a high stick in OT. Those were some blatant missed calls.

Anyways, is this really thread worthy? Players and refs go at each other every single time and Habs deserved to lose, they had a 3-0 lead. Every single team are at the end of bad calls and missed calls everytime...

Claude Julien brought his Bruins wheel of excuses and is always after the refs. That's what's annoying me the most.

And I personnaly do not mind the missed penalties, actually the loser point only hurt our tanking chances.

scorpiorising

May 25, 2011
Ehhh it's two men acting like men. Heated argument but it is what it is. They're human sometimes and he lost his composure a bit. He should learn from it but it's really no big deal.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
not really. Looks more whiny on Gallager. This won’t be the last time a player is cursed at

You might want to spin it the way your biased eyes want, but it's the referee's job to make sure all conflicts are dealt with accordingly. Meaning with proper communication and actions when it comes to abusive players or coaches.

In this case, you can clearly see and hear Morton engaging and escalating the issue.

It's textbook referee 101 guide of what not to do, so yeah this doesn't look good at all on Dean Morton.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
If you give a player two for not being able to take an expletive, you don’t belong in the NHL.
Could argue that if you cannot respect an official then you don't belong in the NHL.
Chirping like that with the refs have been happening since the 80's, refs will give it back to the players and if it does get out of hand a penalty will be called.
In the olympics cursing at a ref is an automatic 2 minutes.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

Its not being mentally fragile, the players even tho professional athletes know their season is done. Its human nature to get angry when everying boils over. And i said it was a dive and the stars deserved that win they played great. Not sure why you gotta try and throw shade at me. You seem like a fun person to be around..

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Armia on Sekera is not a penalty. Montreal got hosed on that one.

The slashing one, Seguin comes down on top of the puck and makes a play on the puck. Here is the rules if you want to send them to your coach:

Slashing - Slashing is the act of a player swinging his stick at an opponent, whether contact is made or not. Non-aggressive stick contact to the pant or front of the shin pads, should not be penalized as slashing. Any forceful or powerful chop with the stick on an opponent’s body, the opponent’s stick, or on or near the opponent’s hands that, in the judgment of the Referee, is not an attempt to play the puck, shall be penalized as slashing. - https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/308893668/binary-file/file.pdf

The Domi one was mostly glove and easy to miss live as an official. Not really your standard easy to call high stick.

In summary: Montreal had one bad call against. One potential missed call against (not a super blatant call) and this is the reaction from players and coach. The world was not burning last night, it was just another night in the fast paced NHL where things aren't going to go your way with the ref 100% every night.

Last edited:
Reactions: swimmer77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad