Referee Dean Morton tells Brendan Gallagher to go f*** himself (WARNING LANGUAGE IN VIDEO)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I didn't watch the game, but as a general statement, officiating has been poor at times this year, and I agree the ref shouldn't respond that way to the player. As another poster said: give him two if it is warranted.

Can't . Game was over . That was after Seguin scored the OT winner .

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Thank you referee Dean Morton. You have saved the Habs from getting an extra and completely unnecessary point.

That said, if someone lashes out to me like Gally did to the ref, I'd do the same as the ref. We're only human. Montreal has truly become a team of excuses. Bergevin and Molson are to blame for this shit show.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
14 classless subbans

subbans.png

Only 13 in your picture...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Here is what Montreal is looking to get called a penalty. Bench was losing their mind after a blatant dive.

It wasn't just that. There was the missed slash on Kovalchuk that broke his stick, the missed trip on Chariot where Chariot actually got called for slashing, and then the missed high stick/elbow/whatever to the face of Domi that busted him wide open in OT.

Make no mistake about it, the officials were downright awful in that game.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It's the officials job to moderate on-ice conduct as impartial arbiters of the rules. Players telling a ref to F off and refs telling a player to F off are not equal events and the impartiality of that official has to be in question moving forward.

Officials did an awful job in that Montreal game. One of the worst called games I've seen (from what I watched) all year.

What about telling a player to f*** off makes one less impartial to the rules? Makes no sense. Unless you're trying to stipulate that the ref now has bias toward the player, which isn't the same thing.

Not to mention, acknowledging a situation out loud doesnt mean you automatically have a bias in the situation. The ref could have just looked at him, said nothing, then preceeded to mentally file away this situation for another date.

His impartiality isnt in question at all. The players whine all the time, because they have a lot on the line and calls can help change the game. If we dont want to refs to have freedom of speech maybe everyone would be happier if refs had to take it silently- but when a player crossed the line they got ejected for abuse of an official. Or would that be too partial for you?

Reactions: 93LEAFS

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Curious if he was one of the refs when Gallagher got held down in the offensive zone and the referee just look and didn't do anything while the D just kept him down and kept him offside.

edit found it

Nope Wes McCauley and Frederick L'Ecuyer that night. Refs have been bad and the people handing out suspensions have been even worst

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This isn't uncommon. It's why players don't get called for unsportsmanlike conduct unless they really cross a line.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
It wasn't just that. There was the missed slash on Kovalchuk that broke his stick, the missed trip on Chariot where Chariot actually got called for slashing, and then the missed high stick/elbow/whatever to the face of Domi that busted him wide open in OT.

Make no mistake about it, the officials were downright awful in that game.

Sometimes you face adversity, welcome to the NHL. The amount of whining and complaining Montreal did wasn't going to help them win the game.

Instead of putting your head down and working for the win, Montreal shriveled up, cried and complained about everything, and lost the game.

Was Dallas lucky on a couple of those plays? Sure.. it happens. Roles will be reversed next game or the one after.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sometimes you face adversity, welcome to the NHL. The amount of whining and complaining Montreal did wasn't going to help them win the game.

Instead of putting your head down and working for the win, Montreal shriveled up, cried and complained about everything, and lost the game.

Was Dallas lucky on a couple of those plays? Sure.. it happens. Roles will be reversed next game or the one after.
Normally I would agree with you, but given the comments that Claude Julien gave earlier in the year calling out the officiating and the fact that he hasn't stopped calling them out since, lends me to believe the referees might be putting the whistles away at certain points for the Canadiens as they likely aren't appreciating being constantly called out.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
What about telling a player to **** off makes one less impartial to the rules? Makes no sense. Unless you're trying to stipulate that the ref now has bias toward the player, which isn't the same thing.

Sure it is. Refs in the NHL have absolute authority to dictate when and whether they should enforce the rules. If you're an Oilers fan, you know Steve Kozari has done a questionable job since McDavid chirped him. Stories like this exist all over the NHL. Remember Burrows and Auger? We all saw the uptick in Flames penalties when Wideman wiped out that official.

Not to mention, acknowledging a situation out loud doesnt mean you automatically have a bias in the situation. The ref could have just looked at him, said nothing, then preceeded to mentally file away this situation for another date.

Yeah, but we can't KNOW that to discuss it. When a ref is angry enough to lash out back at the player like that, it's worth discussing whether or not he can or should impartially call games involving Brendan Gallagher.

This all dovetails into my bigger issue with NHL officiating. There should be as little subjectivity in it as possible.

His impartiality isnt in question at all. The players whine all the time, because they have a lot on the line and calls can help change the game. If we dont want to refs to have freedom of speech maybe everyone would be happier if refs had to take it silently- but when a player crossed the line they got ejected for abuse of an official. Or would that be too partial for you?

That's not what freedom of speech is at all. Freedom of speech isn't the ability to say what you want, insulting people at your job space free from consequence. Players should and are penalized for abuse of officials when that complaining goes too far. But they are not equals in this because they are not doing the same job. The players do not impact the performance of the referees at their job, the referees absolutely do impact the performance of the players. It's the entire purvue of the referees to manage the players and they should be held to a different, and higher, standard of conduct.

I don't think this guy should be allowed to call Habs games moving forward.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Normally I would agree with you, but given the comments that Claude Julien gave earlier in the year calling out the officiating and the fact that he hasn't stopped calling them out since, lends me to believe the referees might be putting the whistles away at certain points for the Canadiens as they likely aren't appreciating being constantly called out.

Claude was calling for a penalty on that OT play (linked above) so I don't think I can take his opinion seriously.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Claude was calling for a penalty on that OT play (linked above) so I don't think I can take his opinion seriously.

I get why the Habs are mad and frustrated . Their season is slipping away fast and that takes a toll . Then they blow a 3:0 lead this game and are unhappy with the refs so emotions boil over. It happen . I don't blame anyone involved here. Its not gonna change anything but sometimes people need to vent their frustrations.

Hope the Habs team is at least as mad at themselves as they are towards the refs because blowing that game that wasn't just on the refs. Not even close.

Hell part of it was probably on Julien himself for starting Price in back to back situations. He did not look good but super tired and i thought the last 3 Stars goals all weren't great for Price. Especially the Comeau one was just wierd and should never go in.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Any time I'm watching a game and they accidentally mic too much of what's happening on the ice, it's nothing but swearing. What do people think they're saying? "Oh, pardon me, sir, I bid you good day".
We just got Ron Hainsey randomly yelling a "WTF" tonight, in a re-set behind the net. Like, nothing happened. Refs get a lot of bullshit thrown there way, so they give some back. I honestly don't think the players care. If you ever look at the player polls articles, they actually respect those refs if they are straight up.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I can't say I watched him often enough behind the Bruins bench to know if he acted the same, but since his return as Habs coach, Julien has made it a habit of whining about refereeing. This has been happening increasingly often and of course, in many instances he is whining over nothing. The more you whine, the less effective it is and the more you will fall victim to the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

A quiet coach who gets pissed off once or twice a year and gives the ref an earful will get his players on their toes and might get the ref to notice. A coach nearing his sixties moaning and crying every game about refereeing is basically offering his players an excuse on a platter and will, at best, be ignored by the refs and at worse, be treated less fairly.

I completely agree that league-wide, the refereeing this year leaves some to be desired. But Claude Julien has the mistaken notion that these things happen only to his team. It happens to everybody, unfortunately. This league needs better, more consistent refereeing in general and more importantly, a completely overhauled disciplinary system that doesn't involved losers like Parros and Campbell.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Sure it is. Refs in the NHL have absolute authority to dictate when and whether they should enforce the rules. If you're an Oilers fan, you know Steve Kozari has done a questionable job since McDavid chirped him. Stories like this exist all over the NHL. Remember Burrows and Auger? We all saw the uptick in Flames penalties when Wideman wiped out that official.

Yeah, but we can't KNOW that to discuss it. When a ref is angry enough to lash out back at the player like that, it's worth discussing whether or not he can or should impartially call games involving Brendan Gallagher.

This all dovetails into my bigger issue with NHL officiating. There should be as little subjectivity in it as possible.

That's not what freedom of speech is at all. Freedom of speech isn't the ability to say what you want, insulting people at your job space free from consequence. Players should and are penalized for abuse of officials when that complaining goes too far. But they are not equals in this because they are not doing the same job. The players do not impact the performance of the referees at their job, the referees absolutely do impact the performance of the players. It's the entire purvue of the referees to manage the players and they should be held to a different, and higher, standard of conduct.

I don't think this guy should be allowed to call Habs games moving forward.

Did Steve tell McDavid to f*** off? If he didnt, then that proves that telling a player to f*** off or being silent can have the same outcome - if you believe Steve is not being impartial. Which means it isnt inherently worse to just speak your mind, like your trying to portray it is. Whether you acknowledge a situation externally or not, has no effect on whether you acknowledge a situation internally. You can be biased either way.

No, they aren't, which was why I brought it up. Abuse of an official as know it comes with ejections, unless player is a racist or makes physical contact with an official, he ain't getting called for that. Players are rarely called for unsportsmanlike minor penalties regarding officials, and it has to escalate a lot to get to any serious call like a misconduct (usually).

Crosby got a 10 minute misconduct for following an official around after serving a penalty:

Was that ref biased and no longer impartial for doing that? Or is it allowable for him to do something when hes being harrassed? Would you rather the hab got a 10 minute misconduct or the ref just said a bad word to him? Judging by this thread, people in here would be even more outraged if he got another penalty rather than two guys swearing at one another.

The referees manage the game not the players. That's a coaches job. Refereeing in general is poor, but I don't believe they should be held to a higher standard when it comes to coarse langauge. They are effectively babysitting petulant millionaires, who are allowed to second guess every decision they make, while verbally abusing them regularly, and also listen to the crowd boo them. Not to mention the shit they have to hear from coaches. I'd say, it's a minor miracle how much garbage they put up with on a regular basis, without blowing their top.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If you think there is anything weird about this, you’ve never been up close and personal to a hockey game. Literally nothing to see here. Common occurrance I would assume.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad