OT: Redsox World Series Champions thread/MLB 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
According to CBS Sports Ellsbury is looking for a FA contract similar to what Crawford got.

from cbssports.com:

It is becoming more apparent the key name for Jacoby Ellsbury this winter is his old Red Sox teammate Carl Crawford.

Ellsbury's agent, Scott Boras, has named an asking price, one interested team said. And it seems clear now that Crawford's $142 million, seven-year deal is a benchmark in discussions.

While recently discussing Ellsbury and Shin-Soo Choo, Boras' other top free-agent outfielder, Boras said, "Carl Crawford [who signed for $142 million over seven years in 2010] lives. And Jayson Werth signed for seven years (and $126 million) at age 32."

Boras also has mentioned that Ellsbury's value is actually higher than Crawford's was when he was a free agent since Ellsbury is a center fielder who bats leadoff while Crawford played left field and batted second (at least at the time). Another difference, according to Boras, is that Ellsbury has proved he can thrive in Boston, a pressure cooker environment. Ultimately, Crawford wilted in Boston but has come back to play better in Los Angeles.

Boras also mentions that the Crawford deal was struck three years ago, and baseball's finances have gotten even better since.

One rival GM, who won't make a play for Ellsbury, came back, "Crawford was better and more durable [at the time]."

It'll be interesting to see what those involved think.

The Mariners, Nationals, Yankees and incumbent Red Sox are among several teams interested in Ellsbury while the Dodgers, Cardinals, Cubs and others make sense, too. Ellsbury, 30, hit .298 with nine homers, 53 RBI and a league-leading 52 stolen bases in 2013 and helped the Red Sox win their second World Series title since his arrival.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Bryan Hoch
‏@BryanHoch
You can rule out Brian Wilson to the Yankees. Agent tells Brian Cashman that Wilson won't shave his beard. Seriously.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Crawford seems like the most obvious contract for Ellsbury to be looking at.

Lets play the prediction game. Where does Jacoby end up? Go. YOU ONLY GET ONE PREDICTION.

I say Washington.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The yankees policy on facial hair is one of the most ridiculous things in all of sports

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Red Sox have made a two-year offer to their incumbent catcher Jarrod Saltalamachhia, but there's no indication the sides are near a deal and the team continues to talk to multiple options, including Brian McCann, Carlos Ruiz and A.J. Pierzynski.

The offer for Saltalamacchia is believed to have been for something less than $10 million a year.

Saltalamacchia is thought to be seeking a deal for at least three years.

The Red Sox remain interested in their incumbent first baseman Mike Napoli but haven't had the chance to talk to him abut a multiyear deal since. He turned down their $14.1-million qualifying offer to him.

The catching market is interesting since the Yankees, Rangers, Angels, Blue Jays, Rockies and Twins could all be involved to some degree. Dioner Navarro is yet another free agent catcher, but there may be more openings than viable free-agent catchers.

McCann is the biggest prize of the market, and is expected to command a deal for five years.

David Ross, Boston's excellent backup catcher, actually caught over Saltalamacchia the final couple World Series game, but Salty had a very nice overall season in Boston.

rather get ruiz than pierzynski or mccann

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer...r-offer-to-salty-but-theyre-in-on-ruiz-others

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Saw a report that the sox have offered salty a two year deal. And another saying stephen drew will not be returning.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Why not? He was pretty damn good in his limited time for the Dodgers. He'll be ready to go a full season healthy next year. His velocity is still there. A native of NH. Insurance for Koji. What's not to like?

He just seems to be one of those " hey everybody - look at me " type of guys. If this year proved anything it's that team chemistry plays a big role in how well or how poorly a team does. I guess I'm afraid Wilson might screw up that chemistry if he ended up in Boston.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
He just seems to be one of those " hey everybody - look at me " type of guys. If this year proved anything it's that team chemistry plays a big role in how well or how poorly a team does. I guess I'm afraid Wilson might screw up that chemistry if he ended up in Boston.
That's exactly how Jonny Gomes is, Peavy even mentioned it :laugh: when he played against him and when he met him in the clubhouse the first time. I think he'd be able to fit in with the culture of the clubhouse just fine. Not sure if they'll go after him, but I'd def take a look. That beard has Boston written all over it!

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I really don't understand Jacoby and/or Boras. How can you use a contract like Crawford's as a baseline when it is commonly considered one of the worst contracts signed in the past decade!!!

I've said since the beginning, if I'm the Sox I give Jacoby the same deal they gave Pedroia, and make it known they consider him a core piece going forward. If that isn't enough, then let him go and take the picks.

Also, I'd be down for a Brian Wilson signing. Should be cheap enough and give us some insurance/depth in the bullpen.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Im so happy Drew rejected his qualifying offer. Thanks for 1 good year Steven you're not as good as you were in AZ but played solid D and drove in runs for a SS. NO CHANCE he'll play well for his new team and live up to whatever contract he gets.

Great job Cherington.

This is awesome. No dicking around with Xander and Will. Im so much more excited for next year with Boegarts having the job fulltime.

I pay Salty now.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
can't wait to see the team who vastly overpays for drew. there's no guarantee he's going to get better. last year was much better than his previous couple seasons, but no way in hell would i want to give him a multi year deal.

i would have even supported him back on another one year deal with xander at 3rd and see what you can get for middlebrooks, but makes no sense committing multiple years to stephen drew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad