OT: Redsox World Series Champions thread/MLB 2014 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Oh, and don't act like it's a travesty that Farrell didn't win manager of the year. I would have voted for him, but it's not like he led a no-talent team into the playoffs. This Sox team did have a lot more talent than Cleveland and Francona did a great job there.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Oh, and don't act like it's a travesty that Farrell didn't win manager of the year. I would have voted for him, but it's not like he led a no-talent team into the playoffs. This Sox team did have a lot more talent than Cleveland and Francona did a great job there.

Sox played against the toughest schedule in the league and finished tied for the best record in the league.

While an integral part, it's not always about talent; it's what you do with it. If it's just about the lineup on the paper, the Dodgers are the 2013 World Series Champs. Best talent doesn't always equal best team.

acr*

Asuka Iinuma Brown - Jiji Press (SEA)
1. Melvin
2. Maddon
3. Showalter

Lol...

And of course the two Toronto writers vote Farrell 2nd.
The woman on espn claimed she voted Francona-Melvin-Maddon

I don't get worked up over awards, but it's a total joke to leave Farrell off the ballot altogether. I'm sure he's fine with a World Series ring and no manager of the year though.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
The woman on espn claimed she voted Francona-Melvin-Maddon

I don't get worked up over awards, but it's a total joke to leave Farrell off the ballot altogether. I'm sure he's fine with a World Series ring and no manager of the year though.

Yeah, I don't really care or get worked up either. But when this is part of your job, and you completely leave off the manager of the best team in baseball, maybe you shouldn't have a say in this at all.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's not fair to say his entire game is based on speed. He may have been our most consistent hitter this year. He's a career .297 hitter. And he showed real power in 2011.

Where would you rather spend that money? Do you honestly think Drew and Beltran would help this team more? Or would you rather the ownership hold onto more money because in 5 years, he'll probably be overpaid and you really like draft picks?

I think JBJ can be the center fielder of the future. Could take over as soon as next season.

I don't know who else they could sign for that money but I just don't think it's smart to give Ellsbury a contract like that.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You guys realize the vote is before the playoffs, right?

And Francona winning over Farrell isn't really a travesty in any sense. Francona did a great job with a team with a much smaller payroll and had no expectations.

Relax. Farrell is going to get a ring instead.

blackngold4877

Aug 31, 2006

And Francona winning over Farrell isn't really a travesty in any sense. Francona did a great job with a team with a much smaller payroll and had no expectations.

I agree to an extent but when I look at their 17-2 record vs Chicago and under .500 vs winning teams I have to wonder what Clevelands record would be if they switched divisions with the Sox. Francona deserves the award, but no as much as Farrell, at least in my opinion. Don't care that much though, Farrell got the only award that means anything and Tito got an award he should have won years ago.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
17-2 against Chicago is fluky, and it doesn't matter because every win counts the same.

Not sure how 16 people total had Tito first, but the two Toronto guys having Farrell only second are bitter. Bitter people would have left him off entirely.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
17-2 against Chicago is fluky, and it doesn't matter because every win counts the same.

Not sure how 16 people total had Tito first, but the two Toronto guys having Farrell only second are bitter. Bitter people would have left him off entirely.

Can't make it obvious that you're bitter.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim

I agree, but leaving Farrell off the ballot altogether IS a travesty. The award cannot be taken seriously as you can see the way TOR-writers were voting.
With that being said, Francona is a deserving winner, I would have had him 2nd in my voting, behind Farrell and ahead of Melvin.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I agree, but leaving Farrell off the ballot altogether IS a travesty. The award cannot be taken seriously as you can see the way TOR-writers were voting.
With that being said, Francona is a deserving winner, I would have had him 2nd in my voting, behind Farrell and ahead of Melvin.

The two Toronto guys had him second.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
the award is a toss up. not much is known about what managers actually do to help their team. the narrative tells us that farrell rode into town and kicked the **** out of everyone in the dressing room and took the title back to boston.

that's not really the only narrative though. i think it's fair to bring up the red sox's payroll compared to other teams. i think it's fair to look at what other teams had to do without the resources that the red sox gave farrell.

again, this could have gone to about five different managers and i wouldn't have had a problem with it. same with the nl rookie of the year. could have gone to puig or fernandez. al rookie could have gone to myers or archer. the al manager could have gone to melvin, showalter, girardi, francona, farrell or maddon. any one of them could have won it and i wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Last edited:

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Not sure if you guys saw this:

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 6h
If what I've heard here is accurate, the #mariners reported interest in Jacoby Ellsbury has been overblown.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Apparently a team has offered Ruiz 2/20, and some people (bow tie boy) think it could be the Red Sox

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Manager of the Year trophy, and $2.65 will get you an XL coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

I'm sure Farrell is happy with the trophy he got :D

Edit: how does happy become ahoy on auto spell? lol

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
The ironing is delicious.

Don't get me wrong. I like Farrell and he did a terrific job, but I think it's fantastic Tito won.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
the mariners are doing their due diligence but truthfully, that outfield is a mess.

their current roster features saunders, ackley and peguero. they need outfielders in the worst way and the best ones are going to cost them draft picks, which they can't afford.

time's running out for zduriencik.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
i don't have a problem with francona winning it. they were one game worse than the sox last year and finished within five wins this year of them. granted, the sox were certainly in a tougher decision. but, more than a few people thought the sox would compete for the 2nd wild card going into this year. i didn't hear any of that talk involving the indians. in fact, i though he was nuts for taking that job in the first place.

i don't think everyone realizes the voting is done before the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad