Redmond's Mickeyisms

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
After Staal took a puck to the helmet and Ken asked Mick how they survived without helmets. "Well we got hit in the head. It's why we mumble sometimes on a Saturday night but what're ya gonna do."
That was a beauty of a line lol. Makes you think, these dudes obviously slam them back sometimes but I think Redmond understands how viscous the game is these days and the concussion shit that comes with it

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Osgood.
He's earned it.
Murph is the most annoying thing on FSD..
Ozzie understands the game, you can tell he's taken lessons and worked on his craft.
And Ozzie's got a wicked sense of humor when he unleashes it.

None of these guys will replace Redmond.
It's like trying to replace Don Cherry. f***ing Legend. Love him or hate him, people grew up with these guys. Redmond's been doing wings games since when? Early 80s? That's f***ing ridiculous.

When Redmond talks about the lessons his dad taught him - man... that's hockey.

Really, I find Ozzie boring in the role of colour commentator, and his comments just come across as default comments that most commentators would say in a given situation. We need someone from outside, who has some humour to them and knows the game. They are called colour guys for a reason. It will suck when Mickey is no longer the guy in this role!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Oh, I guess he does say lookin. It honestly sounds like whatever you're trying to hear. When I want to hear f***ing I hear f***in when I want to hear lookin I hear lookin, weird.

I believe he said lookin too, but I do hear f@&kin even doing as you did.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
delete

Thought I was replying to a recent post, not necro-replying.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I mean I think Ozzie is probably the next guy up and he has gotten a lot better over the years in my opinion.

I will say the best former Red Wing I have heard broadcast a game is Manny Legace. He went back into coaching with Columbus, but I thought he did a great job when I have watched him do College Hockey, some AHL and NHL games.

Legace is a really solid announcer, I second this.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Honestly, I don't know. It's why I asked. I totally shit on the idea of Murph with no better idea to propose like a hacky jackass. :-P

Guys like Datsyuk and perhaps even Holmstrom are funny ideas but those won't really last. Plus they don't seem like "Media Types".

I'm trying to think of Red Wings personalities who are more than comfortable being in front of the camera. Perhaps even love it. You need that kind of quality.

Murph seems to have that quality but his presentation just doesn't sell. Ozzie kind of has it and over time he might refine his execution - Who knows?

I don't understand the Datsyuk suggestion. He used to make funny little interview quips, but was shy, soft-spoken, and most fans wouldn't understand him.

Now Homer, on the other hand.... doomed to failure but would be a fun ride while it lasted. Most wouldn't understand him either, but it would be hilarious because the guy is always funny and clearly doesn't give a shit if you can understand him or not. Way better storyteller than Dats.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Americans think the answer is 8 because Americans are stupid.
"What's 2 plus 2 multiplied by 2?"
"Six."
"Great job! That's Russian Math. We the best at the math and hockey."

I'm dying. Ovechkin sounded so confident there.

Who wants to break it to Ogee here? :laugh:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Ahhhh I gotcha. Also, don't know how my two posts got combined. Wasn't calling you stupid. Just needling America's poor education system :teach2:

To be fair, I was shit at math most of my life and our education system is in shambles. Now I'm working on a masters in analytics and had to (re)teach myself calculus in my 30s.

Reactions: Bench and jaster

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
To be fair, I was shit at math most of my life and our education system is in shambles. Now I'm working on a masters in analytics and had to (re)teach myself calculus in my 30s.

That sounds horrible. Most useful thing I re-learned in my 30s was how to shotgun a beer. I'm a degenerate. #murica

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That sounds horrible. Most useful thing I re-learned in my 30s was how to shotgun a beer. I'm a degenerate. #murica
:laugh: Good one.

upload_2021-2-8_21-51-4.png

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
+Terry Crisp's on the away feed (when FSD wasn't covering). He has to be the all-time most annoying announcers voice. John Kelly former Avs, now w/Blues is runner up.
Agreed on John Kelly. His dad, Dan Kelly, was one of the greatest IMO. I used to listen to the Blues games when I was a kid because their station (KMOX) was clear channel and it came in great on my tiny AM readio stashed under my pillow.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Agreed on John Kelly. His dad, Dan Kelly, was one of the greatest IMO. I used to listen to the Blues games when I was a kid because their station (KMOX) was clear channel and it came in great on my tiny AM readio stashed under my pillow.
The Stash/Stache has come full circle. It is a Man's rite of passage, an esoteric elixir of sorts. At least that's what a bumper sticker I read said.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Really, I find Ozzie boring in the role of colour commentator, and his comments just come across as default comments that most commentators would say in a given situation. We need someone from outside, who has some humour to them and knows the game. They are called colour guys for a reason. It will suck when Mickey is no longer the guy in this role!

There are so few like Redmond- personable, skilled in broadcasting and with an understanding of the game.
Really, DRW fans are lucky he didn't get picked up by HNIC for a 30-year run a long, long time ago.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
There are so few like Redmond- personable, skilled in broadcasting and with an understanding of the game.
Really, DRW fans are lucky he didn't get picked up by HNIC for a 30-year run a long, long time ago.

Mick actually did work for HNIC in the early 80's. I'm not sure why he decided to come back to Detroit in '86, but Red Wing fans are very fortunate he did. Like you said, Mick's a beauty.

Reactions: MBH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad