Redmond's Mickeyisms

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
It's also more inclusive to use a naming system based on the age groups. Outsiders have no idea what "bantam" and "midget" refer to which could be a roadblock for some people. Wasn't a fan of this rant by Mick, usually love listening to him. Honestly there's no excuse for being against inclusivity as a concept.

Unfortunately if Mick gets fired we have to listen to Art Regner... :help:

Oh god I hope he isn't next in line.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I'm really struggling to remember one that he's started to use in recent years with all the young players on the team.

It's basically a phrase to describe how a player gets better with experience. I want to say it sounds something like "long-term working memory" or something like that?

Any help here would be appreciated and no the tragedy of that statement alongside how I'm failing to remember this is not lost on me.

I finally remembered it. It's "Institutional memory". I can sleep now.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Ozzie has improved a ton.
But he'll never be Mickey Redmond.
So losing Redmond and getting more Murph? Ugh.
If you were looking to make some of these games more unwatchable - that's a good idea.

The more important point is that they wouldn't enable Art Regner that much. I don't care if he tried out for the Wings decades ago. He's unbearable.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When Mickey is done, we need an outside hire. Ozzy is boring to be honest and just says default things and way overpraises all the bottom tier players, especially goalies. Art Regner is someone who I can not believe is anywhere near the pro level of hockey as he is brutal and NEVER SHUTS UP! I also say this as someone who only listened to him 2 or 3 times this preseason for the first time and only times I have heard him, BRUTAL!

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
I was so relieved to hear Mickey's voice for the first game this year.

It's just a matter of time, he'll retire at some point. I'm just hoping it's many years from now, because that's going to be a loss on the same scale as Lidstrom and Datsyuk. Mickey Redmond's retirement is going to make the game so much less enjoyable. So will Ken's eventual retirement -- he's a great play-by-play guy, incredible -- but I feel like it will be easier to replace the p-b-p guy, than it will the color guy.

I have a suggestion for Mickey's eventual replacement, many years hence, however:

Just bear me out. Have an open mind.

Tomas Holmstrom. He's hilarious and charming. He's not nearly the player that Mickey was (and I do think that matters), but he was damned good, and played for the Red Wings specifically for a very long time.

Thoughts?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I was so relieved to hear Mickey's voice for the first game this year.

It's just a matter of time, he'll retire at some point. I'm just hoping it's many years from now, because that's going to be a loss on the same scale as Lidstrom and Datsyuk. Mickey Redmond's retirement is going to make the game so much less enjoyable. So will Ken's eventual retirement -- he's a great play-by-play guy, incredible -- but I feel like it will be easier to replace the p-b-p guy, than it will the color guy.

I have a suggestion for Mickey's eventual replacement, many years hence, however:

Just bear me out. Have an open mind.

Tomas Holmstrom. He's hilarious and charming. He's not nearly the player that Mickey was (and I do think that matters), but he was damned good, and played for the Red Wings specifically for a very long time.

Thoughts?
I'd dig it. I wonder if Maltby could do pbp? He strikes me as someone who could.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I seem to recall D-Mac on NBC Sports a few years ago did alright.

Of course he’ll be rough around the edges at first, but if there’s a guy out there with both personality, and probably some interesting stories - I’d say it would be him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Micky's charisma and overall enthusiasm for the game has added so much to being a red wing fan all these years. I bumped into him once and I regret being rude because I interrupted his cell conversation to just thank him for how awesome he is. He was very polite despite my thoughtlessness.

No place for a nervous person
Can't find a hole to hide in
It's a game of inches
Bingo Bango

Although Ken gets a lot of love I think I have been bias because I could never get used to him over Dave, I just loved Dave and Mickey and was so sad when that broke up.

I am sure a lot of people know these things but I rarely see Mickey discussed as a player. He had two 50 goal seasons and also a shift or two as captain during that season where there were like 7 captains.

Reactions: NervousPerson

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Mickey is my childhood man, and even as I collect older Wings games from the eighties and early nineties it is nice to hear the familiarity of his voice. Hockey just gets less interesting to me every passing year and losing Mickey...

One of my favorites is “he’s gonna KO Barrasso” lol!

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Mickey is my childhood man, and even as I collect older Wings games from the eighties and early nineties it is nice to hear the familiarity of his voice. Hockey just gets less interesting to me every passing year and losing Mickey...

One of my favorites is “he’s gonna KO Barrasso” lol!

I'll never forget watching this fight. Could you imagine tackling Yzerman and then looking up to see Probert standing there just waiting for you to get up....

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I'll never forget watching this fight. Could you imagine tackling Yzerman and then looking up to see Probert standing there just waiting for you to get up....
The best part is that Probie didn't even wait for Maguire to get up.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Oh, I guess he does say lookin. It honestly sounds like whatever you're trying to hear. When I want to hear f***ing I hear f***in when I want to hear lookin I hear lookin, weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad