Redmond's Mickeyisms

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I'm really struggling to remember one that he's started to use in recent years with all the young players on the team.

It's basically a phrase to describe how a player gets better with experience. I want to say it sounds something like "long-term working memory" or something like that?

Any help here would be appreciated and no the tragedy of that statement alongside how I'm failing to remember this is not lost on me.

Reactions: Sentinel

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Mickey Redmond had a great breakdown of Aho’s no look pass. Watching live I saw the amazing pass, but missed the creativity to set it up. Technically that is not a Mickeyism, so forgive me for breaking the OP guidelines. Really enjoyed the breakdown, thought I’d share.

Honestly I am grateful that he is still working, could listen to Mickey Redmond talk hockey all day. Cutting down on his road trips was crucial, seriously doubt he is still going without that change.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
This is another reason I love Mick, ( he's not a corporate suit yes-man)...looks like an '80's stock broker at a NYC bar after a rough day on the NY Stock Exchange trading floor. No suit/jacket, no top button, looking disheveled, hilarious. Overall though our FSD crew are all pretty cool in their own way.

upload_2018-12-8_18-46-6.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
"Those beards, they all belong in the Duck Dynasty HOF"

Re: Thornton's & Saucerman's (AHL'er) beards.

Mick's Mickeyisms are the gift that keeps on givin', or the opposite of a Trophy-GF/Trophy-Wife/Sugarbaby, aka the curse that keeps on taking.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Holy jump'n, its a game of inches
aint no place for a nervous person

I saw Mickey Redmond at a bank once on the phone and like a douche I interrupted his call to tell him I appreciated his work. I should have respected his privacy but I was a kid and his enthusiasm was definitely part of what hooked me on hockey.

I liked the pair of Strader Redmond the best

Reactions: decaguard

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
That's the kind of **** that gets boycotts started.
Don't go there, Mick.

It wasn’t Mick’s fault, IMO. Daniels knows better than to bring up something that disrupts hockey tradition to a guy like Mickey without knowing the details. Or even being able to explain it at all. Considering “inclusivity” is a politically charged word that tends to have to do with race, gender, and sexual orientation (so of course it’s a dog whistle to some), he chose his words poorly for a hockey broadcast and was overly simplistic in general.

In this case, the “goofball” who got the ball rolling with this idea was the mother of a child with dwarfism. The issue wasn’t with all the names - just “midget.” Given that “midget” is seen as a derogatory term to those with dwarfism, it’s basically akin to not using “Pejorative Slured” to describe a players dumb move during the play-by-play. (And of course there’s the added obvious bonus of removing arcane terms, as Brindamour points out, which helps with marketing participation.) I doubt Mickey puts his foot in his mouth if that’s the explanation.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It wasn’t Mick’s fault, IMO. Daniels knows better than to bring up something that disrupts hockey tradition to a guy like Mickey without knowing the details. Or even being able to explain it at all. Considering “inclusivity” is a politically charged word that tends to have to do with race, gender, and sexual orientation (so of course it’s a dog whistle to some), he chose his words poorly for a hockey broadcast and was overly simplistic in general.

In this case, the “goofball” who got the ball rolling with this idea was the mother of a child with dwarfism. The issue wasn’t with all the names - just “midget.” Given that “midget” is seen as a derogatory term to those with dwarfism, it’s basically akin to not using “******ed” to describe a players dumb move during the play-by-play. (And of course there’s the added obvious bonus of removing arcane terms, as Brindamour points out, which helps with marketing participation.) I doubt Mickey puts his foot in his mouth if that’s the explanation.

Yeah, I didn't think it ever got too close to the line Cherry crossed... but I could already hear the Fox Sports Detroit statement about "inclusivity being a core value" yada yada yada.
Don't get me wrong - I'm a bleeding heart guy who values inclusivity, diversity, respect...
But I also value free speech and humor and I also despise politically correct censors who think they can force their way to enlightenment.

Reactions: Sentinel

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
11/19 vs. OTT....Mick: "what does that mean? being more inclusive"..."that's unacceptable"..."some goofball came up with this idea & they all bought it, ridiculous".

As somebody who doesn't really like Mick all that much, I heard about this and got a kick out of it.

Few will call out the bull shit anymore.

Unfortunately if Mick gets fired we have to listen to Art Regner... :help:

Reactions: Lil Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad