Confirmed with Link: Redden to Boston

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Two veteran pick ups - one a future HOF and the other a former all star and with the Swedish whiz kid expected to arrive shortly, I say Chiarelli has done an excellent job of shoring up the depth and improving the PP.
I agree.I think the Bruin D is actually good enough to compete for the Cup even without the addition of Redden.Ference and McQuaid have been struggling this year but I still think they are fine as far as a 3rd pair D and I think they will elevate their games in the playoffs.The Bruins didn't have enough depth to trade away any of their good players and PC knew that.I think he did a great job.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I hoped for something better but said multiple times I don't think we can get the type of defenseman we need at the deadline. This is more something you do over summer.

Not bad for depth.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Outrageous price:sarcasm:

Easy/Cheap pickup, never been a problem in the lockerroom, PC/Chara/Kelly ties and......some may forget, some Cup final experience too if needed

I`d say he`s steadier than a Zanon/Mateau
Yes,Zanon was definitely a weak link against Washington,he just didn't have enough speed/skill.He was physical but just not a steady D. Mateau actually had some skill but I don't think CJ had much faith in him,he didn't seem to get much ice time if I recall correctly.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I guess it's always a bit of a letdown when you were hoping for a Camaro but you get a tractor. But it's always good to have reliable D depth in the playoffs.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Chara - Hamilton

Seids - Boychuk

Ference - McQuaid

Redden will be the first guy in when there is an injury or someone is playing poorly ( think rookie playoff jitters from Hamilton ). I think it's a solid move. If the Bruins are going to go far in the playoffs, depth is going to be key because it's almost a given that someone will get hurt, sick, or has to sit out due to poor play.

I doubt if Redden is ahead of either Johnson or Bartkowski and he shouldn't be, the guy is slow and soft, the only real asset he brings now is experience.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Much steadier...should be a good addition, especially if dougie struggles come playoff time. If we face Pitt, or a team like Pitt that'll play physical...Redden will be a solid asset.

Have you ever watched this guy play? It's against physical teams where he easily gets overpowered, the guy is soft, just a notch above Kaberle.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Uh...for those who don't like the deal, have a look at the blueliners who were traded the last few days. Ya, not many of them. It's a depth move.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
No more negativity from me on Redden, never cared for his game but now that he is a Bruin I hope he can suprise me, go Reds !!!!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Was hoping for more of an impact D-man, but a decent experienced backup type player in return for virtually nothing is nothing to criticize. I guess since most teams are still in the playoff hunt there was not much out there for Chia to have a chance at. With the bad luck with injuries we've had I'm glad Chia at least got something before the deadline.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Getting an impact d at the deadline is a great thought but very tough to do. Those who have them generally want to keep them. What people need to remember about Redden is that the rangers didn't bury him on the farm because he was playing horrible per say, just that he was not playing up to the level of his huge salary and they wanted to use those dollars elsewhere. For what we gave up, bringing in a guy like this who has ties to Chara and a ton of experience is a great move.

member 96824

Have you ever watched this guy play? It's against physical teams where he easily gets overpowered, the guy is soft, just a notch above Kaberle.

Every home game he's played this year and a handful of away games.

I'm comparing to dougie though if the playoffs overwhelm him.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Wade Redden had a story written about him in Forbes AND the Wall Street Journal, that's nothing to sniff at, people.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The condition on the pick is if he plays 1 playoff game. Sounds like they don't expect him to see the ice unless it's an emergency.

It's a 7th to a 6th... not really a big deal either way to be honest. That far into the draft its kind of a crapshoot/reaching/luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad