Confirmed with Link: Redden to Boston

A Healthy Kelly*

I'm sure it depends on his play, but I could see them giving him a chance to be more than a bottom pair/spare.

Do you think they brought him in with the intention of playing him immediately?

I like this as a depth move, but only tentatively. Last time I saw him play was when he was in NY, and he didn't look awful, just out of place. Maybe he'll succeed on a team that uses its forwards to attack the puck-carrier more on the backcheck.

I don't know. Interesting deal, I guess.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Can't really hate this trade at all. When I first saw the reports I was like ****, we can't do better than Redden? But hes a solid veteran depth d and am looking forward to seeing him in the lineup while McQuaid is still out.

Serpico4ever

Jul 4, 2010
Brighton, MA
Rather see Krug, Bart, and even Exelby or Miller get the time, but whatever. Too bad they couldn't get a game changer. Wisniewski or someone with some sand and skill.

bruins seguin 19*

will patrice be back?

will bergeron be back in a week or so?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I'll admit I was hoping for something better to address guys like Ference playing like garbage all year but at least we added a little depth and I'm sure he's still pretty good buddies with big Z

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
What type of player is he now? I wouldn't mind him filling in for McQuaid if he is any better than Johnson. Hopefully after that he is just depth.

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
I heard this news on the way home tonight. I looked at the radio and said "Wade Redden"?!?! I think I did that 4 times.

I don't know how this will work out and Redden came cheap, but I think this just makes Chia look bad. Chia was great with his candid press conference about Iginla and his trade for Jagr was a great value. This just seems to bring all that down to earth and then some.

I get annoyed by Felger and Mazz so I don't come from that camp, but I am surprised by the majority of positive responses to this. I think I would rather Chia didn't make this trade as I think it was option #8 because options #1-7 weren't worth the price he had to pay.

member 96824

I heard this news on the way home tonight. I looked at the radio and said "Wade Redden"?!?! I think I did that 4 times.

I don't know how this will work out and Redden came cheap, but I think this just makes Chia look bad. Chia was great with his candid press conference about Iginla and his trade for Jagr was a great value. This just seems to bring all that down to earth and then some.

I get annoyed by Felger and Mazz so I don't come from that camp, but I am surprised by the majority of positive responses to this. I think I would rather Chia didn't make this trade as I think it was option #8 because options #1-7 weren't worth the price he had to pay.

Chia traded a 7th that may possibly turn into a 6th for a very serviceable NHL defender who provides depth and can even spot start in the top 4 when needed and that makes him look bad?

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

Don't jump the shark, Fonz...

I don't think Redds will be as bad as you think. He can fill in for the inevitable injuries that befall dmen during playoff campaigns. Aside from that, I frankly also think he's as good as, if not better than, Ference at this point... Would've liked a better, younger dman but I don't fault Chia for shopping at Marshall's on this trip.

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
Chia traded a 7th that may possibly turn into a 6th for a very serviceable NHL defender who provides depth and can even spot start in the top 4 when needed and that makes him look bad?

Very servicable? Says who? Certainly not the Rangers or the Blues - both teams worse off than the Bruins...

Don't jump the shark, Fonz...

I don't think Redds will be as bad as you think. He can fill in for the inevitable injuries that befall dmen during playoff campaigns. Aside from that, I frankly also think he's as good as, if not better than, Ference at this point... Would've liked a better, younger dman but I don't fault Chia for shopping at Marshall's on this trip.

I hope I'm overreacting, but I just can't see this as anything, but making Chia look bad...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Do you think they brought him in with the intention of playing him immediately?

I like this as a depth move, but only tentatively. Last time I saw him play was when he was in NY, and he didn't look awful, just out of place. Maybe he'll succeed on a team that uses its forwards to attack the puck-carrier more on the backcheck.

I don't know. Interesting deal, I guess.

I do. And I think our system is easier to play (for Dmen) than most.

It's a good situation for Redden, let's see what he does with it.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Very servicable? Says who? Certainly not the Rangers or the Blues - both teams worse off than the Bruins...

I hope I'm overreacting, but I just can't see this as anything, but making Chia look bad...

How on earth does it or could it possibly make him look bad. If he comes here and stinks, we don't play him and lose a 7th rounder. That is the absolute worst that can happen. Whoopie! Wyzniewski was not available. Whytney was not available. Strait was not available. Under the circumstances, I think he looks brilliant, taking a chance on a guy who has a lot to prove. The Rangers only buried him because he wasn't playing to his price tag. St. Louis has a deep defence. I'll lay odds right now, right hear that he does a hell of a lot more for us in these playoffs than Kaberle did and he is basically a freebie.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
kind of shaking my head at some of the "good depth move...7th or 8th D...he won't see any time" talk.

To hell with that. Throw him right in there like Marty Turco and see what he's got. What good is depth if it doesn't get Chara and Seids some rest?

Merk57

Jun 12, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I like this pick up a lot. I think Redden may surprise. Granted he's not was he used to be. There's the hope that he picks up where he left off with Chara but after this many years that is unlikely. Redden has always been a 'smart' dman. He makes a great first pass out of the zone and is responsible defensively. My worry is that he may not be fast enough anymore for today's NHL but we shall see (I hope I'm wrong). He easily fits in our top six as long as Quaider is out.

It's a deal that came at virtually no cost and he may very well be Ference's replacement for next season. Wade Redden is a class act, he did a lot in the comunity when playing in Ottawa and took it on the chin in NY went to the minors without causing any stir. I wish him the best of luck and hope he succeeds!!

member 96824

Blues was a numbers game. Boumeester is a much better option for them, but he was pretty solid here and played a top 4 role for the majority of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad