Red Wings to introduce Yzerman as new GM

Sep 18, 2009
Yzerman will draft some high skill Russians who no one trusts which will lead to regular season success but playoff failure when the going gets tough. Nothing new

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman can definitely build a team, but the process is slow. He doesn't cut corners or risk too much to "speed up the process." He'll load up on picks and prospects and wait with Job-like patience for them to develop. He values draft picks like no one else I can think of, although I do believe it's started a trend.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Yzerman can definitely build a team, but the process is slow. He doesn't cut corners or risk too much to "speed up the process." He'll load up on picks and prospects and wait with Job-like patience for them to develop. He values draft picks like no one else I can think of, although I do believe it's started a trend.

Holland already hooked him up with a f***ton of picks and prospects. I think he's gonna have to take a different approach this time. Detroit's got plenty of young depth and depth picks. They need to move up and grab elite talent.

Honestly, if it's looking like Byram and Cozens are both gonna be gone before #6, I'd be looking to move up. Byram/Hronek/Cholowski/McIsaac would make for a solid group of young defensive prospects. Larkin/Cozens/Rasmussen/Veleno would be good depth at center.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
And what's the Holland plan the last several year? To hand out a bunch of dumb contracts to a bunch of crap players like Abdelkader and Ericsson? And all these other guys?
No, he hasn't signed a bad contract the last couple years. Unless of course Dylan Larkin at 5x6.1 is a terrible contract. Unless signig Tatar to a 4 year 5.3 million dollar contract then trading it for a first, second, and third is a terrible contract and move. Holland acquired 10 additional top 100 picks between the 2017, 2018, and 2019 drafts.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
That the Lightning have a ton of dead weight locked into bad contracts and an alarming lack of defensive depth.

And that Yzerman made a huge mistake drafting Drouin instead of Jones.

Hmm...no, I dont think so. You dont win 62 games and then suddenly get exposed. Play this SERIES over again and are you confident in a CBJ sweep? How about a CBJ win? I certainly wouldn't be.

This is a cap league. Every single team has bad contracts and weaknesses. A sweep in round 1 is proof of nothing other than sample sizes, score effects, and momentum.

When do we go ahead and give the winning team their due for beating the favorites? People like to repeat ad-infinitum that all you have to do is make the cut to have a chance, but when the favorites are eliminated, it's as if destiny has somehow been cruelly undermined.

82 games is enough to call a team good or not good, but the playoff format doesnt lends itself to easy conclusions. Columbus was better than many expected, but the shock comes from expectations of them being competitive and ultimately losing, as opposed to sustaining a high level of play throughout the series and disrupting TBL at every turn.

This is what parity looks like (and also a multitude of variables that aren't easily predictable).

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Maybe it's already been talked about, didn't read the whole thread. But do people expect Yzerman will try and poach some of the scouting staff from Tampa?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Red Wings fans as Yzerman stepped on the stage...

tenor.gif

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe it's already been talked about, didn't read the whole thread. But do people expect Yzerman will try and poach some of the scouting staff from Tampa?

He implied that there might be some changes in scouting staff and things like that in his press conference, I would imagine that would come with a couple of tampa personnel. I've said before I could see Pat Verbeek coming to Detroit in some capacity. His family is from around Detroit and he played/was invovled in management with the Red wings. Yzerman took him to Tampa with him so I could see him being a guy Yzerman targets to come back with him.

Lots of wings fans are hoping for Al Murray but I dont see it happening

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
No, he hasn't signed a bad contract the last couple years. Unless of course Dylan Larkin at 5x6.1 is a terrible contract. Unless signig Tatar to a 4 year 5.3 million dollar contract then trading it for a first, second, and third is a terrible contract and move. Holland acquired 10 additional top 100 picks between the 2017, 2018, and 2019 drafts.

yeah i think hollands done a good job with the rebuild, unfortunate for him yzerman would get the job from anyone

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Been saying this was going to happen for the longest time, but the Bolts fans said it wouldn't.

Took way longer than I though, but definitely called it. This was always his plan.

Maybe now the Bolts can get real unis/logos with him gone.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I don't think there's anything wrong with Holland... he's a legend... but thw wings needed a fresh take...

and so begins... the return of the wings...

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Great hire by Detroit.

For those saying “but his team got swept” -

How confident would you be in Columbus winning that series again?

And how many other NHL rosters would you currently take over the roster he built in Tampa Bay?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
The Yzerplan got swept by a team that was battling Montreal for a playoff spot

Jus sayin

Safe to say Columbus will probably beat anyone if they keep playing like that. Some key pieces weren't acquired until the deadline, they're obviously a better team now than they were earlier in the season.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Great hire by Detroit.

For those saying “but his team got swept” -

How confident would you be in Columbus winning that series again?

And how many other NHL rosters would you currently take over the roster he built in Tampa Bay?

The excuse of them playing in such an easy division always gets tossed around. Put them in a different division and who knows. /shrug

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
The excuse of them playing in such an easy division always gets tossed around. Put them in a different division and who knows. /shrug

I don’t buy that, personally.

They play 28 of their 82 games against teams in their division

of those teams Boston and Toronto can not be looked at as crappy. Florida and Montreal were both average this season. Buffalo was good until mid-end of December, then sucked. Detroit wasn’t good. Ottawa wasn’t good either.
So 3 crappy teams, 2 average teams and 2 good teams.

We are talking what, a total of 12 games against crappy teams?
And 8 games against really good teams (Toronto and Boston)

Tampa also played the non-division teams in their conference 24 times.

And 30 non conference games.

So 54 of their 82 games were out of division.

If this were the NFL, it’d be a different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad