Red Wings to introduce Yzerman as new GM

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yzerman's main talent is putting the right people in the right jobs and then staying out of their way. It makes the organization hum along.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Dang Holland looked like a fool on the podium :laugh: Kept going his past history talking about his "mentor" Devlanno, seeing Yzerman for the first time, kissing ass left and right. Mentioning Scotty Bowman. To justify that they keep him in there. He went full Kevin Lowe. (I have history of winning!)

Hopefully he doesn't stay there too long and Stevie slip him his pink letter.
Yea, he sure looked pathetic as Yzerman called him his mentor and friend and Chris Illitch extended his contract as senior vice president.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yea, he sure looked pathetic as Yzerman called him his mentor and friend and Chris Illitch extended his contract as senior vice president.

Yzerman and Illitch are another matter altogether. Steve is probably the nicest dude you will ever find and Illitch, many owners are faithful to a default.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yzerman and Illitch are another matter altogether. Steve is probably the nicest dude you will ever find and Illitch, many owners are faithful to a default.
Yep, so why would Stevie be giving him his pink slip when Stevie respects Holland's hockey mind and Chris appreciates every minute of the 35 years he's been with the organization?

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
it does not matter. holland is a dicator, he will always rule red wings from behind scenes. yzerman will have no power.

Lol?

Obviously none of us know these guys personally.... But judging from everything we see its safe to say Yzerman is a leader and obviously an icon. Nobody is going to be dictating him, including Holland. Yzerman is the last person I could see being pushed around. What has Holland ever done to give you the assumption he is a dictator lol??

Holland is not going to walk in and tell Steve Yzerman of all people what to do. Holland clearly has a great deal of respect for Yzerman including as a GM. Personally I am very happy to see Holland stick around. He is a good GM who has had a lot of success drafting. He isn't the best at finding trades but everyone has their pros and cons. Do I believe the Wings should have maybe rebuilt sooner than they did, maybe. Hard to commit to a rebuild though even if you know its needed when your on a historic playoff streak. He obviously made a couple desperate contract decisions on vets to keep that alive. For all we know, ownership wanted to continue the run. Either way, how do you just throw in the towel on that type of run. He has also done a great job over the last couple seasons once he committed to rebuilding and has layed a good foundation.

Holland and Yzerman working together will be huge for Detroit.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't understand the correlation. Holland no longer makes decisions, but I'm not a guy that thinks he's a terrible hockey mind and a pathetic excuse of a GM - so maybe that has something to do with it.

They made a change. Obviously he wasn't making good decisions.

But hey I thought Wings fans would be more demanding. and had their eyes wide open with Holland. my bad.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

But hey I thought Wings fans would be more demanding. and had their eyes wide open with Holland. my bad.
What do you mean? I was definitely excited for a change but that doesn't mean I don't think he can contribute to the hive mind that is a hockey front office. Like I said, your comment about the pink slip is off base.

Holland has set Yzerman up pretty nice with young players, picks, and prospects, he's made some great moves like trading Tatar and Smith for an absolute premium. Ever since he's committed to the rebuild he's done a lot of good. So trash him for signing Abby to a bad contract and dismiss the knowledge he's acquired over his 40 years around professional hockey. The smart people still listen to him when he talks.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Happy with the Yzerman hire but I do hope Holland stays on as VP Hockey Ops. Yzerman seems to want him to do so as well.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't understand the correlation. Holland no longer makes decisions, but I'm not a guy that thinks he's a terrible hockey mind and a pathetic excuse of a GM - so maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't think Yzerman would take the job without autonomy. It was the same in TB. Yzerman doesn't like being meddled with, and, in turn, doesn't meddle with his underlings.

Holland will be a valued voice in the room, as he should be, but Yzerman's going to call the shots.

Reactions: Ezekial

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

just because we don't want him to be the GM anymore doesn't mean he doesn't have anything of value to contribute in an advisory role

you don't have the GM career he did without being good at certain things

Reactions: Sadekuuro

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Lol?

Obviously none of us know these guys personally.... But judging from everything we see its safe to say Yzerman is a leader and obviously an icon. Nobody is going to be dictating him, including Holland. Yzerman is the last person I could see being pushed around. What has Holland ever done to give you the assumption he is a dictator lol??

Holland is not going to walk in and tell Steve Yzerman of all people what to do. Holland clearly has a great deal of respect for Yzerman including as a GM. Personally I am very happy to see Holland stick around. He is a good GM who has had a lot of success drafting. He isn't the best at finding trades but everyone has their pros and cons. Do I believe the Wings should have maybe rebuilt sooner than they did, maybe. Hard to commit to a rebuild though even if you know its needed when your on a historic playoff streak. He obviously made a couple desperate contract decisions on vets to keep that alive. For all we know, ownership wanted to continue the run. Either way, how do you just throw in the towel on that type of run. He has also done a great job over the last couple seasons once he committed to rebuilding and has layed a good foundation.

Holland and Yzerman working together will be huge for Detroit.
Incredible post

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Yzerman's main talent is putting the right people in the right jobs and then staying out of their way. It makes the organization hum along.
This has been the Mike Illitch standard for running his sports teams for years, a method that has clearly worked for the organization where Stevie served his managerial "apprenticeship."
Of course it would be something he values and practices. - it works.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The players he assembled is totally on him; they have no backbone and aren't "tough" enough for the playoff grind...
An Edmonton fan is bagging on a team's playoff performance? Last I checked, Tampa has more playoff wins than most of the league since Yzerman took over. One horrible season doesn't change that, considering their best players all have several years of good hockey left in them.

EDIT: From 2010-11 until Yzerman stepped down last summer, it's:

PIT 59 wins
CHI 51 wins
WAS 50 wins
TB 47 wins
BOS 45 wins
LA 44 wins

Not exactly a lousy job by a GM.

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Holland has to be the next best available GM now. He's just too smart of a hockey mind not to get back in the NHL. Maybe the Seattle GM?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad