Red Wings to introduce Yzerman as new GM

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Stevie Y with a timely come back. The Wings have some young talent already on their way, and with him at the helm. It's only a matter of time that Detroit climb the ladder back to where they were when he was a player.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Not following this situation very closely, but according to this thread title they've been "going to" introduce him as GM for a week now. When is the press conference?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Not following this situation very closely, but according to this thread title they've been "going to" introduce him as GM for a week now. When is the press conference?

It was last Friday. Yzerman is the GM and Executive VP now.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Stevie retired years ago
Lol haha ha the shit you say ? Really? I thought he was the captain, coach and GM. The Bolts getting taken out in the first has nothing at all to do with him! We had teams here in Detroit that had the same thing happen. It happens every year they are not done and will win a cup with the team he built there.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I wonder if he will hire Babcock after Leafs fire him...now that would be ironic.

giphy.gif

Reactions: SenzZen and Oddbob

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
My prediction is Stevie Y goes after Bobrovsky

0% chance this happens. Bob is well outside the age range of our next window. He'll be 33-35 years old by the time the Wings are contending again. We also just signed Howard to a 1 year deal and will likely continue to sign him on 1 year deals while Filip Larsson develops.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
A couple of years later - the Wings are now icing this team:

Tyler Bertuzzi - Dylan Larkin - Lucas Raymond
Robby Fabbri - Pius Suter -
Filip Zadina
Vlad Namestnikov - Michael Rasmussen - Adam Erne
Givani Smith - Mitchell Stephens - Sam Gagner
Carter Rowney

LTIR: Jakub Vrana

Nick Leddy - Moritz Seider
Danny Dekeyser - Filip Hronek
Marc Staal - Gustav Lindström
Troy Stecher, Jordan Oesterle

Thomas Greiss
Alex Nedeljkovic

Bold: Yzerman draft picks/signings

Regular: Holland draft picks/signings

Notable draft picks:

2019 - Moritz Seider, Antti Tuomisto, Albert Johansson, Elmer Söderblom
2020 - Lucas Raymond, Theodor Niederbach, Donovan Sebrango, Eemil Viro
2021 - Simon Edvinsson, Sebastian Cossa, Shai Buium, Liam Dower Nilsson

Reactions: kook10

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
A couple of years later - the Wings are now icing this team:

Tyler Bertuzzi - Dylan Larkin - Lucas Raymond
Robby Fabbri - Pius Suter -
Filip Zadina
Vlad Namestnikov - Michael Rasmussen - Adam Erne
Givani Smith - Mitchell Stephens - Sam Gagner
Carter Rowney

LTIR: Jakub Vrana

Nick Leddy - Moritz Seider
Danny Dekeyser - Filip Hronek
Marc Staal - Gustav Lindström
Troy Stecher, Jordan Oesterle

Thomas Greiss
Alex Nedeljkovic

Bold: Yzerman draft picks/signings

Regular: Holland draft picks/signings

Notable draft picks:

This roster still has a long way to go but this is crazy roster turnaround. LD is particularly weak since I still think they will move Leddy at the deadline. Edvinsson and Johansson are having very good years in the SHL. So those LD holes can potentially be filled internally. I'm still worried about center as is everyone else. Hopefully we can pick one up this year in the draft. I don't know why but I'm rooting for Niederbach to explode as a diamond in the rough pick. Lots of untapped potential there, I just hope he can find it.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Notable draft picks:

I am very bullish on Yzerman's turn around, it has been incredible, but realistically Tuomisto has shown next to nothing in terms of him being a good draft pick relative to position taken.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's not a wonder Yzerman left the Lightning in my opinion. Few GM's ever get the precious time Yzerman is getting. It was understood from the start that the first years were a wash. You had to wait out bad contracts, trade other contracts, draft, draft and then draft some more and develop said players the right way. Only after about 2-3 years could the real work begin. This team is going to be great for years to come if they keep with this strategy. If every organization in sports handled their business they way Detroit is letting Yzerman handle it you'd see a lot more turnarounds that actually happen. You can't hurry a rebuild.

Not to throw shade at the NYR but winning #1, #2 overall by sheer miracles of luck and Panarin, Fox and Trouba all tripping over themselves to do the whole "I wanna go play for the Rangers!" thing does not constitute a rebuild. It's taking what you have, obliterating your cap space and hinging the rest of your hopes on 2 guys you lucked into. If that team comes anywhere near a Stanley Cup then consider me the first to eat my crow on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad