Red Wings to introduce Yzerman as new GM

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I'm not sure where you got that I'm an edmonton fan but anyways Wings are screwed with a over hyped person.

An Edmonton fan is bagging on a team's playoff performance? Last I checked, Tampa has more playoff wins than most of the league since Yzerman took over. One horrible season doesn't change that, considering their best players all have several years of good hockey left in them.

EDIT: From 2010-11 until Yzerman stepped down last summer, it's:

PIT 59 wins
CHI 51 wins
WAS 50 wins
TB 47 wins
BOS 45 wins
LA 44 wins

Not exactly a lousy job by a GM.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
The same people knocking Holland are the same people who knocked McPhee because of the Forsberg deal and his “brutal” expansion draft...

People here don’t have a clue lol

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Goes without saying that this is a major addition and positive for Detroit.

Still a lot of work to do to become a contender, but they're in a much better spot longterm than they were a few years ago.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
McKenzie seemed to say Holland knew his days were numbered but he wanted to stick around long enough to ensure the team was passed to the right person

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Yesterday was an important day for the city and the Red Wings. Even if Yzerman can only hope to match Holland in skills as a GM it’s a net gain due to the excitement generated amongst hardcore and casual fans. People who haven’t followed the wings since 09 (some even 06 I imagine) are all of sudden paying attention. I loved the Euro Twins era but there’s no question the Wings popularity was higher in the Yzerman era. It’s the relatability factor for the casual fans. Amongst hardcore fans it solidifies that things are moving in a direction which before his season was really hard to find.

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
it was time for ken to step down. happy for the redwings & yzerman. it just seems right this way.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
When DET was moved into the Atlantic division, I was excited, because I love TOR vs DET.

Hopefully Yzerman can bring DET back to where they should be.

Imagine TOR vs DET and BOS vs MTL with the winners playing each other in the playoffs.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
As a lifelong Yzerman fan who was my favorite player growing up, I am very happy for him and the Wings that the worst kept secret became reality. I am looking forward to him hopefully doing everything in his abilities to prove his doubters wrong and turn the Wings around.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This was pretty much the most expected move of the offseason. And it didn't even take 60 hours for Tampa to be eliminated before it was announced.

Now I wonder if some other team (Vancouver has been rumored for over a year now and Seattle lately) hires Holland to be a GM this offseason now that he's available? I don't think they should, as he's not good anymore, but I think someone probably will, due to reputation and name.

I gotta wonder if Detroit kept Holland around another year (they extended him two years last year) because they had an inkling that Yzerman would be moving on from Tampa. Maybe Yzerman was talking to one of his friends and airing his grievances about wanting to leave Tampa to be back in Detroit with his wife and someone ran with it and said ''Stevie is thinking about leaving Tampa in a year or two'' and it got back to them and they just figured they'd keep Holland and see what happens, instead of hiring a new GM then. People like to talk, so I'm sure it wasn't unbeknownst to them for long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->