Proposal: Red wings target for 2C

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Won't Tavares be easily available in this Toronto turmoil? An AAV of $ 11m surely is rough, but it would only be for two years (when Tavares is 34 years old).

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: PelagicJoe

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Won't Tavares be easily available in this Toronto turmoil? An AAV of $ 11m surely is rough, but it would only be for two years (when Tavares is 34 years old).

Gruß,
BSHH
NMC. I'd rather twist their arm about the other three. Preferably the Swede as his contract is, and in the future should be, much more manageable.

Reactions: cole von cole

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

Gruß,
BSHH

Tavares is literally #4 of 4 of the top forwards in Toronto I'd want.

Willy - most palatable contract, might actually be available.
Matthews - Best player, almost 100% certainty not to be available, but is UFA and could force something if he wanted to.
Marner - 2nd best player, Not likely available, but would definitely be their big "shake-up" move.
Tavares - Not going anywhere and while I'm not as anti-aged players as most... he's making a lot of money at a fairly advanced age on a team that needs a year or two yet. Not worth the high contract and even higher trade price.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Matthews - Best player, almost 100% certainty not to be available, but is UFA and could force something if he wanted to.
Marner - 2nd best player, Not likely available, but would definitely be their big "shake-up" move.
Tavares - Not going anywhere and while I'm not as anti-aged players as most... he's making a lot of money at a fairly advanced age on a team that needs a year or two yet. Not worth the high contract and even higher trade price.
Trade price? Toronto would be lucky to get future considerations for Tavares at full cap hit. The trap they are in, is that retaining him doesn't make him worth trading as they are in full win now mode. If they blow it up, yeah they can retain to get some trade pieces back. But if they are looking to retool on the fly they cannot afford any retention over the next 2 years.

I'd want Boston's 1st from this year to free them of Tavares.

But again... NMC makes that a moot point.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Well, he's late in his career.

But give him the Perron contract. Offer him 6.5 per for two years.

Gives an older player insurance and comfort while they decide what to do next.

I wouldn't be mad at this.

This isn't the same 35-40 goal Tarasenko but I'd imagine he's good for 25 goals and 60 points.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sadly, I think Kyle Connor stays a Thrasherjet until he demands a trade or goes UFA. That is a team that seems so incredibly dysfunctional from a culture standpoint.
Probably so. But it's fun to dream of some combination of:

Connor-Larkin-Raymond
Tarasenko-Copp-Perron
Rasmussen-Kasper-Berggren
Mazur-Suter-Kubalik

Rearrange however you'd like, but if you then add a decent warm body to round out the defense pairings (once Edvinsson is healthy), that's a fun team to watch that definitely is in the mix for a playoff spot.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Probably so. But it's fun to dream of some combination of:

Connor-Larkin-Raymond
Tarasenko-Copp-Perron
Rasmussen-Kasper-Berggren
Mazur-Suter-Kubalik

Rearrange however you'd like, but if you then add a decent warm body to round out the defense pairings (once Edvinsson is healthy), that's a fun team to watch that definitely is in the mix for a playoff spot.

Imagining Suter on the team past the end of this regular season is not fun to me.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO

I'm all for poaching any one of them from the Maple Laughs.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Imagining Suter on the team past the end of this regular season is not fun to me.
The alternative of Zadina & Veleno on the 4th line isn't all that appealing either, but it's pretty obvious Pius isn't coming back. The coach healthy scratched him to start the season, he'll be looking elsewhere even if it's a league min contract.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Dylan Larkin after we get Austin Matthew's in UFA next year (not this year). But that's a shot at the moon.
Considering how elite players have been performing in their cup runs the last years including this year, I don't like paying one player $13-15M (which is what Matthews will get on the market). You can do that once they won a cup with your team, but not before. Stay away from Matthews.
Oilers lost to a deep team, Toronto lost to a deep team. Rather take Vegas as your model who have made the conference finals in 4 of their 6 years now.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad