Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign F Daniel Sprong (1 yr, 2M)

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
For the reasons stated, he will never see top 6 ice time. Sign him? Sure, but I am not giving this guy top 6 money.
I love Sprong, but he might be too pricey for a 4th line piece. I mean there has to be a bottom feeder who will go here's 5 mil. Probably finishes with 20 goals or more and 50 pts.

I just wonder if we can get that production from Berggren. I mean he had 15 last season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I love Sprong, but he might be too pricey for a 4th line piece. I mean there has to be a bottom feeder who will go here's 5 mil. Probably finishes with 20 goals or more and 50 pts.

I think the book is out on this guy and he's seen as a flawed goal scorer. This is the opposite of Compher and Copp where people bemoan their salary relative to production. Those guys do all the little things coaches love extremely well and shift all over the lineup. Sprong is the one trick scorer and while on paper that feels like $5 million, I don't think there's any shot a GM offers that up.

Then again our ol' boy Andreas got $4.25 from Chicago so maybe you have a point.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I think the book is out on this guy and he's seen as a flawed goal scorer. This is the opposite of Compher and Copp where people bemoan their salary relative to production. Those guys do all the little things coaches love extremely well and shift all over the lineup. Sprong is the one trick scorer and while on paper that feels like $5 million, I don't think there's any shot a GM offers that up.

Then again our ol' boy Andreas got $4.25 from Chicago so maybe you have a point.
Yeah hawks will have 40 mil and nothing much worth signing.

sprongshowhky

May 31, 2016
IDK I feel like Sprong provides to be a good litmus test for players trying to break into this lineup. You're not going to move your teams 4th ranked forward in points for a kid that's going to put up 6 points in 20 games in the same amount of ice time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For the reasons stated, he will never see top 6 ice time. Sign him? Sure, but I am not giving this guy top 6 money.

What is Top6 money?

Where goes the limit?

Sprong has scored 39 points at this season and 0.64 points per game.

Those are
- 106th best forward point total
- 128th best forward point average

If we use stupid mathematics:
1-32nd best forwards are Top1 forwards
33-64th best forwards are Top2 forwards
65-96th best forwards are Top3 forwards
97-128th best forwards are Top4 forwards. <--- Sprong will slot right in here.

He is producing like 2nd line forward, but not deserving Top6 money ?

And where does the Top6 salary limit go ?

Last edited:
Reactions: DamonDRW

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020

It's quite interesting, how close comparable this guy is for Sprong.

- Same aged
- Late bloomers
- Same kind of production
- Same kind of small role

3.5M for 3 years does not sound bad. That's where the market price could be.
novak is a C and plays better Defensively, i think he is more valuable than sprong

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Lapointe got 5,5M 22 years ago.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
What is Top6 money?

Where goes the limit?

Sprong has scored 39 points at this season and 0.64 points per game.

Those are
- 106th best forward point total
- 128th best forward point average

If we use stupid mathematics:
1-32nd best forwards are Top1 forwards
33-64th best forwards are Top2 forwards
65-96th best forwards are Top3 forwards
97-128th best forwards are Top4 forwards. <--- Sprong will slot right in here.

He is producing like 2nd line forward, but not deserving Top6 money ?

And where does the Top6 salary limit go ?
Hell, stupid math is all I've got.

The average salary in the NHL is $3.5M. He is on a $2M deal. Using that number, I'd pay him that number. That is a great raise. If he wants something over $4M, I let him go. See stupid math below.

Interesting view, presented by CapFriendly. COST PER POINT.

The lowest cost player per point... Lucas Raymond. Seider is 15, Veleno 31, Sprong is 82. All out of 789 players.

For RW Sprong is the 25th best value out of 158.

The average salary in the 71-80 group is $4M.

Dellandrea, Ty
$900,000​
Okposo, Kyle
$2,500,000​
Vilardi, Gabriel
$3,437,500​
Yamamoto, Kailer
$1,500,000​
Clutterbuck, Cal
$1,750,000​
Rantanen, Mikko
$9,250,000​
Tuch, Alex
$4,750,000​
Zuccarello, Mats
$6,000,000​
Bjorkstrand, Oliver
$5,400,000​
Tarasenko, Vladimir
$5,000,000​
Average
$4,048,750

Reactions: Konnan511

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I found this from The Athletic:

1709795368392.png

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Chicago gives 4 million to everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: heyfolks

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Chicago gives 4 million to everyone.

Sprong could be next. He's got the choice between getting paid well by a garbage team or settling for less with the Wings. I doubt any of the top end teams take a chance with a flawed player that coaches like to bench.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sprong could be next. He's got the choice between getting paid well by a garbage team or settling for less with the Wings. I doubt any of the top end teams take a chance with a flawed player that coaches like to bench.

Still waiting for the first benching under Lalonde. This funny narrative is starting to be quite a legend. Pure crap, imo.

Think the guy will appreciate that and will extend for less.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Still waiting for the first benching under Lalonde. This funny narrative is starting to be quite a legend. Pure crap, imo.

Think the guy will appreciate that and will extend for less.

He was healthy scratched 7 seasons in a row including last season with the Kraken. It's not pure crap or a "narrative". His overall play is much better than it has ever been. The Caps were my hometown team, and the Kraken are my local team right now. I've actually watched Sprong play for 3 out of 5 teams. (Not a Pens or Ducks fan, and didn't pay much attention to him back then as an opponent.)

I think he might like Fester more than his previous coaches, stay in DET because of that, and take a little less than what he can get in UFA. That much we agree on. I say "might" though, he has never been easy to predict.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Sprong has never played two full pro seasons in the same city, not even in the AHL. If he was a normal guy, you'd think he'd jump at the chance to settle in for a couple more years on a team where he's doing what he loves doing most, scoring goals, even if the coach is not totally convinced about him. Does he really want to go to another new team, probably not a contender, for a salary that should put him in the middle six, and try to convince another new coach that he should be getting 14-15 minutes a game?

On the other hand, if the Wings keep Kane, maybe they feel the need for secondary scoring isn't as great, and that priority No. 1 starting next season is getting better in their own zone. Both their top C prospects can play RW for a year or two and already better defensively than Sprong will ever be. Mazur could figure in too. If Sprong doesn't want to stay, at a figure well below what he might get in FA, they could just let him walk.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He was healthy scratched 7 seasons in a row including last season with the Kraken. It's not pure crap or a "narrative". His overall play is much better than it has ever been. The Caps were my hometown team, and the Kraken are my local team right now. I've actually watched Sprong play for 3 out of 5 teams. (Not a Pens or Ducks fan, and didn't pay much attention to him back then as an opponent.)

I think he might like Fester more than his previous coaches, stay in DET because of that, and take a little less than what he can get in UFA. That much we agree on. I say "might" though, he has never been easy to predict.

I said the other night in the GDT that Sprong was playing like someone who wanted to be re-signed because there were several instances of him hustling to make key backchecks.

If he plays like that I could see Stevie giving him a shortish term deal.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I said the other night in the GDT that Sprong was playing like someone who wanted to be re-signed because there were several instances of him hustling to make key backchecks.

Yzerman is worried that other race car drivers may come forward accusing Sprong of assault.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Oh I agree, he's backchecked more times this calendar year than his whole career combined. He's not still not great defensively, but the effort level is so much higher. He still has a tendency to cherry pick, but that's offset with his ability to score.

It all comes down to money though. That's the reality of pro sports.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lately he was a healthy scratched, and no one notices. Except me. :) Funny.

But that wasn't because of his lack of defence etc. When he has never played 82-game season, think he just needed rest in a tough schedule (against Arizona).

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lately he was a healthy scratched, and no one notices. Except me. :) Funny.

But that wasn't because of his lack of defence etc. When he has never played 82-game season, think he just needed rest in a tough schedule (against Arizona).

People noticed, you aren't special.

He was benched because Lalonde was pissed at the team for being defensively inept and completely disengaged at the start of games. He wanted to get Czarnik in as a "true center" and someone who plays a more defensive oriented game. Sprong was a healthy scratch because on a team of players who are not playing defense, he is typically the worst offender.

He doesn't need rest as a 4th line forward playing less than 10 minutes a night when Compher and Kane have been playing close to 20+ in Larkin's absence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad