Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign F Daniel Sprong (1 yr, 2M)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think it might be pump the breaks time on Sprong. I like him, but dude has bounced around a lot and is playing for another contract.

Give him a long term deal and I can see some of his lazy D habits coming back that got him healthy scratches.

I would give him 2 years, that's it.

I like Sprong but I'm also in agreement that he's a 2-3 year deal at max.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1707769904825.png

This is hilarious.

3-season Goals/60.

Sprong is also 45th ranked at 3-season Points/60. Best Red Wings player, Larkin is the nearest as 2nd best.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
He strikes me as an AA type where he can score against lower lines no matter who he plays with. But he's probably not someone you want on your top line. I like his game tho and he can actually pass unlike AA. I hope we re-sign him if it's at a reasonable price

Reactions: SirloinUB

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He strikes me as an AA type where he can score against lower lines no matter who he plays with. But he's probably not someone you want on your top line. I like his game tho and he can actually pass unlike AA. I hope we re-sign him if it's at a reasonable price
Sprong can hustle. He can be tenacious. He's not going to win a Selke any time soon but he's miles ahead of AA in the give-a-shit department

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sprong can hustle. He can be tenacious. He's not going to win a Selke any time soon but he's miles ahead of AA in the give-a-shit department

This season.

He's been healthy scratched 7 seasons in a row by 4 teams for not giving a shit, and cherry picking. That's actually worse than AA.

He's actually back checking this season, which is amazing to see. But he's not top 6 winger, he still needs to work on his defense and learn how to score without cherry picking so much. There was a goal about 2 weeks ago where he wasn't even on the TV screen for the entire defensive sequence, but then he scored when the Wings gained possession.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
This season.

He's been healthy scratched 7 seasons in a row by 4 teams for not giving a shit, and cherry picking. That's actually worse than AA.

He's actually back checking this season, which is amazing to see. But he's not top 6 winger, he still needs to work on his defense and learn how to score without cherry picking so much. There was a goal about 2 weeks ago where he wasn't even on the TV screen for the entire defensive sequence, but then he scored when the Wings gained possession.

Damn, hope he does that again like 15 more times.

Kidding aside, move on from Perron and keep Sprong. Perron is great at keeping the puck and good on the PP but he takes bad penalties often and his foot speed is gone. Open up a roster spot.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This season.

He's actually back checking this season, which is amazing to see.

This season is this season. The only season with Red Wings and these coaches.

Sprong hasn't been scratched for a single game, and there is currently ZERO reason for it. He has developed as a player, and Red Wings are giving him different trust than past organizations. Past is in the past, no reason to look there anymore.

5 guys have played all the season games at this season, and Sprong is one of them. (+Seider, Ras, Cat, Raymond)

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
This season is this season. The only season with Red Wings and these coaches.

Sprong hasn't been scratched for a single game, and there is currently ZERO reason for it. He has developed as a player, and Red Wings are giving him different trust than past organizations. Past is in the past, no reason to look there anymore.

5 guys have played all the season games at this season, and Sprong is one of them. (+Seider, Ras, Cat, Raymond)

You gotta be careful with players that don't have a good track record, Brett Connolly has a career year with the Caps at about the same age, then signed contract with the Panthers and fell apart. Sprong could easily regress in a similar fashion. His defensive effort is not always there, watch this goal. Now tell me why he's not even on the screen during the defensive sequence? Totally cherry picking.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I don't think any player other than a franchise cornerstone should be getting contracts longer than 3 to 4 years. I know GMs can't help themselves, but it seems Yzerman has shown at least a little bit of restraint over the years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You gotta be careful with players that don't have a good track record, Brett Connolly has a career year with the Caps at about the same age, then signed contract with the Panthers and fell apart. Sprong could easily regress in a similar fashion. His defensive effort is not always there, watch this goal. Now tell me why he's not even on the screen during the defensive sequence? Totally cherry picking.

No. Brett Connolly is not Daniel Sprong.

Sprong is one of a kind, there's no comparables for him.

Being careful yeah? Yzerman will re-sign him short-term like he does for almost everybody.

That's being careful.

Reactions: sprongshowhky

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Sprong is such a luxury to have. I'd love to re-sign him but I think another team will pay up for him long term. Luckily for us, we have wingers in spades so we'll be alright.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
No. Brett Connolly is not Daniel Sprong.

Sprong is one of a kind, there's no comparables for him.

Being careful yeah? Yzerman will re-sign him short-term like he does for almost everybody.

That's being careful.

Definitely not one of a kind. Plenty of players have overvalued their offensive contributions and drifted around the league because of their lack of commitment to defense. AA went that route, and Burger is practically Sprong V2.0. The ex-Wing that most resembles Sprong is Gagner. Went to CBJ on a one year contract, had a career year, signed with VAN and fell apart again.

Mind you, I really like the way he's playing this season, and I do hope he re-signs, but short term. No more than 3 years max. He's the kind of guy that does better on a short leash.

Sprong is such a luxury to have. I'd love to re-sign him but I think another team will pay up for him long term. Luckily for us, we have wingers in spades so we'll be alright.

It'd be a mistake for a team to sign a player that's wound up in the doghouse on 3 out of 4 teams, and is having a career year on a one year contract. Lots of GM are willing to take that risk though. If a team offers him 4 or more years, I'd let him walk.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Definitely not one of a kind. Plenty of players have overvalued their offensive contributions and drifted around the league because of their lack of commitment to defense. AA went that route, and Burger is practically Sprong V2.0. The ex-Wing that most resembles Sprong is Gagner. Went to CBJ on a one year contract, had a career year, signed with VAN and fell apart again.

Mind you, I really like the way he's playing this season, and I do hope he re-signs, but short term. No more than 3 years max. He's the kind of guy that does better on a short leash.

It'd be a mistake for a team to sign a player that's wound up in the doghouse on 3 out of 4 teams, and is having a career year on a one year contract. Lots of GM are willing to take that risk though. If a team offers him 4 or more years, I'd let him walk.
2.6 x 3 . think that's fair and if he needs to be moved after a season if he falls off to 30 pts let's say and kids are pushing for spots if we retained 1 mill with 2 years remaining I think he can be moved

4 + years I'd also pass

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Damn, he’s REALLY fallen off since his 99 rating earlier in the year. Should probably cut him

Have I mentioned that I hate these Andy and Rono hacks?
Well they give more insight than you do. Their cards is about a (Red Wings) hockey player. Who cares about what some random likes or dislikes.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

I would not call it cherry picking. As far as I can tell we turned the puck over in the neutral zone and they turned it over just as they crossed our blue line. The puck luckily bounced to him and he scored.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
It would be a mistake for a team to sign a player that's wound up in the doghouse on 3 out of 4 teams, and is having a career year on a one year contract. Lots of GM are willing to take that risk though. If a team offers him 4 or more years, I'd let him walk.
Sprong seems really happy here, and seems like a good fit in the locker room. It looks like he developed a bit of a bromance with Kane over their jersey numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a fair multi-year deal to stay, like 3.5m/3 years. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman let him walk, but the team is developing an identity and Yzerman seems to value that.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sprong seems really happy here, and seems like a good fit in the locker room. It looks like he developed a bit of a bromance with Kane over their jersey numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a fair multi-year deal to stay, like 3.5m/3 years. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Yzerman let him walk, but the team is developing an identity and Yzerman seems to value that.

Ideally it's in that ballpark, I agree. Sprong will get an offer, it's a matter of if he'll take it.

He's a tough player to read. Is he satisfied being a bottom 6 scorer or does he want to go to a lesser team for a bigger role? A chance at the second line for some crap team like SJ? We'll see what happens in July.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ideally it's in that ballpark, I agree. Sprong will get an offer, it's a matter of if he'll take it.

He's a tough player to read. Is he satisfied being a bottom 6 scorer or does he want to go to a lesser team for a bigger role? A chance at the second line for some crap team like SJ? We'll see what happens in July.

Imo, Spron has got his biggest career opportunities so far at Detroit.

I think it's a high probability he would like to stay. Changing environment and going under new coaching staff could put his career backwards, or at least, more uncertainty.

Think Yzerman will find a fair deal both ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad