Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign F Daniel Sprong (1 yr, 2M)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I didn't want to beat the dead horse, but it's Ghost that's keeping Ed down right now. I'd move on from him just for that. Mid season too...

Yeah, it's Ghost that's leaving. TDL or just doesn't get re-signed. He looked good defensively early on, but he's now playing to his reputation.

Drop Perron and Ghost, promote Burger and Ed next season. Cap space won't be an issue, otherwise everyone would be bitching about Copp, lol

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
This Danny could potentially resemble our previous Danny Boy (Cleary). That guy was excellent in the middle of 2000s

And I still remember - I can see clearly now!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Choices moving forward should be:

Fabbri or Sprong
Kane or Perron
Holl or Petry

Only keep one from each pairing...
Perron has been brutal this season, but lately he has played great with Larkin.
Fabbri plays 10-11 min. I don't know if the coach does not like his game or wants to spare him from injuries. Holl struggles a lot. I can't remember him making one good play.

Maatta is +10, Gostibehere -16, the team is +11. Hronek is +32.

Sprong is like a cheaper version of Bertuzzi. Is he really 26? I thought he was around 40. Lol.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Perron has been brutal this season, but lately he has played great with Larkin.
Fabbri plays 10-11 min. I don't know if the coach does not like his game or wants to spare him from injuries. Holl struggles a lot. I can't remember him making one good play.

Maatta is +10, Gostibehere -16, the team is +11. Hronek is +32.

Sprong is like a cheaper version of Bertuzzi. Is he really 26? I thought he was around 40. Lol.

Fabbri has been terrible defensively this season. Sprong has been better than previous seasons. Both are getting sheltered ice time along with Maatta. Maatta is the LHD with the easiest assignments. Holl is the same on RD, hence he's +6.

Perron needs to go because he's slower than molasses, and winter is setting in on him. I expect him to be even slower next season. I wouldn't consider re-signing him unless he agrees to $1M, and no NMC.

Burger is soft, and not good defensively, but at least he can catch up to the play. Burger played better in his last call up, Perron gets slower by the day. I think Burger replaces Perron next season.

Reactions: heyfolks

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I didn't want to beat the dead horse, but it's Ghost that's keeping Ed down right now. I'd move on from him just for that. Mid season too...

Yeah. Ghost is doing the thing. He is preventing Seider from a fat contract. At next year that problem is gone and re-signed Seider will get full role. And that will open a secondary role for Edvinsson.

Ghost will walk if not traded before.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
6pts +2 in 7 games this year so far. Only one game with a minus. Bad things happen when I talk positively about a player, but Sprong has been playing well recently.

I would. I wouldn't give him more than 3 years though, short term contracts to keep him motivated. I'd be worried that he gets lazy if he gets a big pay day.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He blocked 2 shots against FLA, that's gotta be a career high.

He also got 14 and 13 minutes of TOI the past couple of games, so Fester must be noticing the improvement in defensive play. Got less than 10 minutes the previous 2 games.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Sprong on the post game comments, "I thought about passing it, but Twitter's been ripping me apart for not shooting enough lately..."

haha

• Haha

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sprong's style of play is pretty unique. Nice shot and hands to score goals, but has enough grind in him to create his own plays.

Personality seems like this lone wolf / bad ass type. Haha.

That's actually why he's been healthy scratched by multiple teams. He does his own thing sometimes, like Vrana and AA, but without the world class speed. Just look at the goal he scored last night, cherry picking for sure, he's not even on the screen during the whole defensive sequence.

That being said, his defensive effort this season is much better than previous season though. He broke up a net front play last night and saved a goal. It made me smile. I thought it was a better play than his goal. It's what coaches want to see.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I would take a bit of a chance on Sprong and try to get him locked in for 4 years at a nice low cap rate. You got to take some chances in this cap world, I think he's a good player to go that route with.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I think it might be pump the breaks time on Sprong. I like him, but dude has bounced around a lot and is playing for another contract.

Give him a long term deal and I can see some of his lazy D habits coming back that got him healthy scratches.

I would give him 2 years, that's it.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I wonder if Yzerman will pull a Conacher with Sprong and trade him for a longer term piece on D or in goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad