Confirmed with Link: Red Wings sign F Daniel Sprong (1 yr, 2M)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He was benched because Lalonde was pissed at the team for being defensively inept and completely disengaged at the start of games. He wanted to get Czarnik in as a "true center" and someone who plays a more defensive oriented game. Sprong was a healthy scratch because on a team of players who are not playing defense, he is typically the worst offender.

Czarnik was definitely a factor. That has freed up Fischer to different role, back to wing where he belongs.

But seems to be Berggren was worse than Sprong. He has been now sitting multiple games, and Sprong only once.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Czarnik was definitely a factor. That has freed up Fischer to different role, back to wing where he belongs.

But seems to be Berggren was worse than Sprong. He has been now sitting multiple games, and Sprong only once.
You misspelled younger.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricelund

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
These are tough ones for me because I think he is a serviceable player but worry he want's more money than the role he plays. When the team is not filled out yet there is a risk these bottom sixers want to 6 type money, think Abdelkater but on a much much lower scale. Holland stepped in that pile again and again Yzerman is a much better negotiator.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
These are tough ones for me because I think he is a serviceable player but worry he want's more money than the role he plays. When the team is not filled out yet there is a risk these bottom sixers want to 6 type money, think Abdelkater but on a much much lower scale. Holland stepped in that pile again and again Yzerman is a much better negotiator.

In today, Abdelkader contract would be 5.09M for 7 years against next season cap. Or probably more, because there's so much of term and high cap inflation incoming.

Reactions: Retire91

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Sprong is doing great. Lalonde should have given him more icetime, preferably DeBrincats min

Sprong playing 5 and a half more minutes than he does would be a disaster.

I like Sprong but he's very one dimensional. He's better utilized down the lineup with lesser competition than against top lines and top line minutes.

Reactions: cvaicunas

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Sprong playing 5 and a half more minutes than he does would be a disaster.

I like Sprong but he's very one dimensional. He's better utilized down the lineup with lesser competition than against top lines and top line minutes.
I didn't mean he should get 5 min, just 2-3. DeBrincat is not producing. He has been getting glorious chances. I don't know if the whole team together has had so many chances as he has. Sprong somehow buries B chances, while DeBrincat can't bury A chanes.
That would be okay if he didn't try to pass to Kane, as obviously it is telegraphed to everyone.
When Kane passes to him it is a great pass, but a terrible one when DeBrincat tries to pass to Kane.
Kane is far better and more effective.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lalonde scratched Sprong. Lol

This coach is completely clueless

LOL, I was gonna point that out. 8th season in a row getting healthy scratched by 5 different teams now.

The problem with Sprong is that he's useless unless he's scoring, and he had 1 pt in his last 8 games. Same thing happened last season in Seattle, went on a cold streak and got benched. It's a bit unfair because he's playing better defensively now, Fester could have shifted Joey to 4C and scratched Czarnik.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
LOL, I was gonna point that out. 8th season in a row getting healthy scratched by 5 different teams now.

The problem with Sprong is that he's useless unless he's scoring, and he had 1 pt in his last 8 games. Same thing happened last season in Seattle, went on a cold streak and got benched. It's a bit unfair because he's playing better defensively now, Fester could have shifted Joey to 4C and scratched Czarnik.
Did he play 6 centres last game? Larkin, Compher, Copp, Veleno, Rasmussen, Czarnik. Fabbri? I like Sprong. He scores from B chances. He surprises the goalies. His production is impressive.

Btw, Chiarot played a great game. He has been very solid lately. He and Seider had better chemistry this time around.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS

It could have been an unhealthy scratch for all we know 🤷‍♂️ He may have had the bug going around or a nagging injury that a day or two off would help.

He hasn’t been scoring, but at least he is hustling both ends in the games I have watched.

Got more bodies around too, let’s see if Newsy plays them all.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Sprong... meh. I'm over him. He made it a helluva lot further into the season than Kubalik did last season before I turned on him, so credit to him for that :laugh:

These guys who can provide decent secondary scoring some of the time, while being shit in every other facet of the game most of the time is tiresome. They should contract the NHL by 8 teams, make those 8 their own AAAA league, and fill it with all the Sprongs and Kubaliks of the world. It'll give @norrisnick something to watch and enjoy when the Wings aren't playing :sarcasm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RRhoads and Gniwder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Did he play 6 centres last game? Larkin, Compher, Copp, Veleno, Rasmussen, Czarnik. Fabbri? I like Sprong. He scores from B chances. He surprises the goalies. His production is impressive.

Fabbri is not a center. Has never been.

Also Veleno is not good in the middle. that's why Czarnik is there. Defense-first.

I still think Sprong is nothing but useless. They are just scratching him, because all guys are healthy and they want to go defence-first.

Berggren and Sprong are sitting. Offensive wingers. When we have plenty of them.

1711147983198.png

With pure stats. Sprong has 3rd most 5v5 points.

1711148042454.png

And per ice-time, he is 2nd effective player after Kane.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It could have been an unhealthy scratch for all we know 🤷‍♂️ He may have had the bug going around or a nagging injury that a day or two off would help.

He hasn’t been scoring, but at least he is hustling both ends in the games I have watched.

Got more bodies around too, let’s see if Newsy plays them all.

He was healthy scratched against Arizona as well. I didn't even realize it because I didn't watch the game. Media has reported it as healthy scratch.

That explains why Czarnik was set to the roster immediately after being an emergency call up. I didn't watch much hockey while Larkin was out because I hate watching shitty hockey.

Sprong has put in more defensive effort this season than ever. But he still looks lost out there at times, and he's not very good at blocking passing and shooting lanes.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Also Veleno is not good in the middle. that's why Czarnik is there. Defense-first.

I still think Sprong is nothing but useless. They are just scratching him, because all guys are healthy and they want to go defence-first.

Berggren and Sprong are sitting. Offensive wingers. When we have plenty of them.
Fabbri has actually played 1C when DBoss was hurt, back in the Mantha days. He played center as recently as the CBJ game, on a few shifts. It was Perron-Fabbri-Sprong, Fabbri was definitely the center. 5-2 on faceoffs.

You look at that line and defensively it makes you cringe. That is why Lalonde went with a different line up.

(I watched the CBJ game, did not watch the Pitt game where it appears he had a few shifts at center as well)

Sprong... meh. I'm over him. He made it a helluva lot further into the season than Kubalik did last season before I turned on him, so credit to him for that :laugh:

These guys who can provide decent secondary scoring some of the time, while being shit in every other facet of the game most of the time is tiresome. They should contract the NHL by 8 teams, make those 8 their own AAAA league, and fill it with all the Sprongs and Kubaliks of the world. It'll give @norrisnick something to watch and enjoy when the Wings aren't playing :sarcasm:

I don't mind Sprong as long as his contract is cheap. I just wish he would punch hockey players instead of F1 drivers.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Sprong has one point in March through 8 games. When he is not producing, he is completely invisible. Right decision to sit him. If he is coming back next season, I hope it is for 2.5 or less.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I didn't mean he should get 5 min, just 2-3. DeBrincat is not producing. He has been getting glorious chances. I don't know if the whole team together has had so many chances as he has. Sprong somehow buries B chances, while DeBrincat can't bury A chanes.
That would be okay if he didn't try to pass to Kane, as obviously it is telegraphed to everyone.
When Kane passes to him it is a great pass, but a terrible one when DeBrincat tries to pass to Kane.
Kane is far better and more effective.
Dcat has been positively engaged offensively for most of the season. Yea the goals have not come, his shooting percentage this season is 12.2% or so, slightly up from last year at 10%, but far below his career average. So I would argue he is due for regression at some point.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

View attachment 840002

With pure stats. Sprong has 3rd most 5v5 points.

View attachment 840003

And per ice-time, he is 2nd effective player after Kane.
What are you talking about? Fabbri is listed as a centre.

Sprong is less useless than DeBrincat. Last game DeBrincat was lucky he had 2 on 1 with Kane so he managed to pass it to Kane who easily scored. But other than that his east west passes to Kane are always telegraphed and easily picked up by opponents. Berggren makes the same mistakes, therefore he sits. There is no player on the team who is under performing more his role than DeBrincat. Nobody is even close.

dtown77

Dec 29, 2005
The Wings won't make the playoffs if they can't get secondary scoring. I know that's an easy take but Sprong needs to be a part of that.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Lately he was a healthy scratched, and no one notices. Except me. :) Funny.

But that wasn't because of his lack of defence etc. When he has never played 82-game season, think he just needed rest in a tough schedule (against Arizona).

Actually he got healthy scratched for the first time after a -4 in 7ish minutes of ice time. Not saying he was the sole reason for those goals against, but more than sure -4 in less than 8 minutes played a major part in his first healthy scratch game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I think Czarnik is not needed at all. Veleno and Fabbri can both play center on the 4th line if necessary. Not that many faceoffs that we he need a true center 6-10 minutes a night. Czarnik does a whole lot of nothing out there. Also, not sure why they call up Berggren and not play him. If they don't want to use up his waiver free thing I totally get that, and I don't think he is even great, just seems weird to call up a young kid and then not play him, when he can be playing games in the AHL.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

40 pts from a 4th line player who plays 10-12 minutes a night is a great add to any team though. He doesn't play enough minutes against tough competition to be too bad defensively anyhow.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
40 pts from a 4th line player who plays 10-12 minutes a night is a great add to any team though. He doesn't play enough minutes against tough competition to be too bad defensively anyhow.

He gives the puck away on prime rush chances a lot. Sprong has been benched annually for a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad