Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part V - The Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
McCollum has been a massive bust. Does seem like a really nice guy though. He did improve this season no question at all but I doubt he ever develops enough to be an NHLer. Maybe 5 years down the track after excelling overseas or something.

It's interesting how things can go bad in some cases. Markström was drafted after him at next pick. I think they had both goalies there whom to choose.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
McCollum has been a massive bust. Does seem like a really nice guy though. He did improve this season no question at all but I doubt he ever develops enough to be an NHLer. Maybe 5 years down the track after excelling overseas or something.

i don't even consider him good enough to play in any european 1st-tier league. he might start in 2nd-tier in europe. he will never be close to the NHL. that's no secret anymore. ;)

grsbmd

Aug 2, 2006
Glendening -- waste of a contract

Disagree. Glendenning continues to get better and better and exceeds all expectations.

I know people who played against him in high school who said he was nothing special his sophomore year. He had to go to a postgraduate prep school to even be offered a walk-on position with Michigan. By the end of his freshman year, he had improved enough to earn a scholarship. He was offered the team captaincy at the beginning of his junior year and served as captain for two years. In his senior year, he was named the CCHA's top defensive forward.

After he graduated, he signed a minor-league contract and started in the ECHL and impressed the coaches enough to get called-up to a stacked Grand Rapids Griffins team that he helped lead to a championship. He was second in the team in +/- in the regular season and third in the playoffs.

This sounds like a guy who is a hard worker and is on his way up. I wouldn't bet against him making the NHL. Well worth a contract.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
This sounds like a guy who is a hard worker and is on his way up. I wouldn't bet against him making the NHL. Well worth a contract.

but everything has a limit and it's usually not the sky. i don't know if his skillset is good enough for the NHL, his attitude certainly is.

the reason i'd like a signing is that glending is exactly the guy i would want to have around the high-skilled prospects in GR. he's the guy where skilled guys can learn how to act as a pro and how to work harder and harder.

of course i hope glendening will one day gets his chance to prove himself in the NHL, but even if not, he's a must signing for this franchise.

RedWingsNow*

Glendening is a year younger than Mursak and nowhere near as good.

Mursak couldn't crack this team when we had no prospects and a bunch of mediocre talent on our third and fourth lines.

Now we've actually got a lot of prospects. Abdelkader and Helm and Miller are signed for a number of years, so that's three depth spots spoken for in the coming years.

If you ask me, Glendening will be signed because he's a Grand Rapids hometown boy and that's where he'll stay

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Mursak couldn't crack this team when we had no prospects and a bunch of mediocre talent on our third and fourth lines.

Now we've actually got a lot of prospects. Abdelkader and Helm and Miller are signed for a number of years, so that's three depth spots spoken for in the coming years.

If you ask me, Glendening will be signed because he's a Grand Rapids hometown boy and that's where he'll stay

Glendening fills a niche. He is gritty. He fights. He is good at draws. He's a right-handed center.

He is a very good mold for a bottom 6 player. Mursak is not good/durable enough to crack our top 9, and is too slight to play a checking role.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Glendening fills a niche. He is gritty. He fights. He is good at draws. He's a right-handed center.

He is a very good mold for a bottom 6 player. Mursak is not good/durable enough to crack our top 9, and is too slight to play a checking role.

Sounds like the perfect 4th line center. I wonder what would happen to Andersson if they decide that he isn't the material for the 3rd line center position. We could have a logjam at the 4th line center role.

grsbmd

Aug 2, 2006

Fortunately Glendening does have one advantage over Mursak: Mike Babcock likes him. Regardless of who is better (I actually do think Mursak is the better player), we've seen that an endorsement from Babcock goes a long way (cf. Lashoff).

RedWingsNow*

Mursak isn't to slight to play in a checking role.
Drew Miller might be 6'2, but he's skinny as a rail

Mursak could do that job.
Darren Helm is pretty tiny and does well in an energy line role

And let's not pretend Glendening is a giant. Guy looks like a workout maniac, but he's still 5'11. He's not that fast.

But who knows -- this team has a thing for mediocre players (abdelkader, Cleary, Lashoff)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Mursak's problem wasn't talent. It was health. Couldn't stay healthy when roster decisions were being made.

RedWingsNow*

The Wings waived him this year when they could have kept him.

They're probably going to dump Emmerton this year.
They could have went with Abdelkader and Andersson as 4th line center and went with Mursak on the Wing, dumping Emmerton.

And in case of injury, either called up Emmerton, Sheahan or Ferraro

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The Wings waived him this year when they could have kept him.

They're probably going to dump Emmerton this year.
They could have went with Abdelkader and Andersson as 4th line center and went with Mursak on the Wing, dumping Emmerton.

And in case of injury, either called up Emmerton, Sheahan or Ferraro

Don't know why you're so caught up on Mursak still, let it go.

Everytime the guy played he got suplexed by someone on the other team. Don't think he can handle the physicality of the NHL. Doesn't have the vision or instincts of a guy like Nyquist who can get by with a skinnier frame.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
These guys are long shots though. Great to have physical defensemen, but will be long term projects and most of them probably won't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad