Prospect Info: Red Wings Prospects Tracker - Part V - The Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Hakan Andersson will keep an eye on him (Dick Axelsson) would suggest it isn't him. But cannot imagine what can be deemed significant not involving him. Guess that is a matter of opinion, maybe a Draper or Maltby is getting a bigger role. Maltby deals primarily with pro scouting, so maybe they are shifting him down to the amateur level or something.

If Nill wanted to bring somebody and they had already discussed their internal board, they likely wouldn't release him until today.

Andersson is a board member of Frölunda, so he's really by default keeping an eye on Axelsson no matter his role with the Wings. He had harsh comments about his work ethic this past winter in Swedish press. He's not allowed to speak to him/other players on Frölunda however because of tampering rules.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I've seen the younger Gudbranson play 2-3 times this past season, and apart from his size, he isn't very good. I'm not surprised to see him go undrafted.

I'm more excited Kurt Etchegary is attending.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I've seen the younger Gudbranson play 2-3 times this past season, and apart from his size, he isn't very good. I'm not surprised to see him go undrafted.

I'm more excited Kurt Etchegary is attending.

He chose Detroit's camp over Colorado's despite Patrick Roy being his former coach with Quebec. :sarcasm:

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Red Wings Central ‏@RedWingsCentral 2 min
There may be some significant changes coming in the #RedWings scouting staff as well. Stay tuned.
Really surprised we're not talking about this more. Seems like it could be a big deal, especially with how unhappy people are with the draft. Maybe Kenny/Jimmy D are just as unhappy?

I'd be shocked to see McDonnell out already, though.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
Really surprised we're not talking about this more. Seems like it could be a big deal, especially with how unhappy people are with the draft. Maybe Kenny/Jimmy D are just as unhappy?

it sounds more like scouts leaving to join Nill in Dallas.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Well we could speculate all day long, but in fairness, the tweet said, "there MAY be some changes"

Our scout team could continue

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Hard to make a big deal out of somebody leaving until we know who that somebody is.

I am not nearly as upset about our draft as some people. They followed what we have been hearing. With a pipeline jam packed with talent they looked for size and certain skills. I think they did a good job going out and getting the exact players they have been saying they were looking for.

Much will be debated about Bertuzzi for several years, but he grew 4 inches last year and went from a guy that had a frame that didn't match his game to a kid that could really maximize what he does well. If you make the NHL there even as a fourth liner that is a good pick. It will be on him to continue developing, but imagine he still grows another inch or something fills out to 220lbs. He will be an absolute bear to handle and mean as stink to go with it.

Have heard no flaws in his skating, while I found it too early, ideally you are looking for a couple players. If they wind up with four out of this draft that is a huge success. A little early to get all wound up in it. The first two picks seem pretty safe bets for NHL action, Bertuzzi knows his role and how to contribute and they took a successful pro overage in the SEL a la the Franzen pick. It isn't outrageous to think they get four guys out of this and that is a wildly successful draft.

RedWingsNow*

I wonder if Matt Wuest will be hired as part time scout for the Q

RedWingsNow*

Hard to make a big deal out of somebody leaving until we know who that somebody is.

I am not nearly as upset about our draft as some people. They followed what we have been hearing. With a pipeline jam packed with talent they looked for size and certain skills. I think they did a good job going out and getting the exact players they have been saying they were looking for.

Much will be debated about Bertuzzi for several years, but he grew 4 inches last year and went from a guy that had a frame that didn't match his game to a kid that could really maximize what he does well. If you make the NHL there even as a fourth liner that is a good pick. It will be on him to continue developing, but imagine he still grows another inch or something fills out to 220lbs. He will be an absolute bear to handle and mean as stink to go with it.

Have heard no flaws in his skating, while I found it too early, ideally you are looking for a couple players. If they wind up with four out of this draft that is a huge success. A little early to get all wound up in it. The first two picks seem pretty safe bets for NHL action, Bertuzzi knows his role and how to contribute and they took a successful pro overage in the SEL a la the Franzen pick. It isn't outrageous to think they get four guys out of this and that is a wildly successful draft.

At the same time, there's a chance, if Mantha busts, we get nothing.

I'm not a fan of this draft. It feels like a Babcock draft, not a Holland draft. I don't think this team has shown it knows how to draft any other style than the Holland style.

So I'm going to be apprehensive about this draft for awhile yet.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
At the same time, there's a chance, if Mantha busts, we get nothing.

I'm not a fan of this draft. It feels like a Babcock draft, not a Holland draft. I don't think this team has shown it knows how to draft any other style than the Holland style.

So I'm going to be apprehensive about this draft for awhile yet.

Makes sense and I agree in part. I do wonder about drafting for Babcock if he isn't going to sign a long-term extension, it isn't like any of these guys are going to actually play for him if that isn't the case. Was an interesting change.

But this was the draft they have talked about making more often, with young small guys breaking through, maybe they open back up to that in a couple years and swing for the fences here for physical complementary players for a couple years. Depends on how they looked at the coming drafts, but this has been a drum beat we have heard before and they went out and did it.

If Mantha busts this will be a very forgettable draft. Don't really see the first two picks completely busting though. Maybe just wishful thinking, but I can see some of these guys at least getting big man roles on the team in the future.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Looks like London goalie Jake Patterson is going to be at the camp as well:

Jake Patterson @jakepatterson35
Excited to head to traverse city next week for the @DetroitRedWings camp! #PattersonPaterson

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Looks like London goalie Jake Patterson is going to be at the camp as well:

Jake Patterson @jakepatterson35
Excited to head to traverse city next week for the @DetroitRedWings camp! #PattersonPaterson

This is excellent news. Stole the job from original starter Kevin Baille during the regular season but lost it (Not due to his play) when Anthony Stolarz joined London mid-season.

He is a good goalie, it will be interesting to have two Jake Paterson/Patterson at camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->