Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I thought he's been playing wing lately, no? I'm honestly not sure, that's just what I thought I remember hearing. I've just considered him more of a winger, maybe incorrectly.

Don't see any reason why the Wings wouldn't develop him as a center. They have a lot of wingers as is and Nastasiuk has the traits the Wings want in a center.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm not too worried about it. Detroit is miles ahead of Edmonton at developing prospects. They'll put Janmark in a position to improve.

Worrying about a guy's faceoff stats while he's a prospect seems pretty silly. Joakim Andersson was always cited by Red Wings Central as needing to improve his faceoff skills. Well guess what? He's taken the second most draws on the team and is winning 51% of them.

Winning faceoffs is a pretty easy skill to develop. There's absolutely no reason to fret over a prospect not dominating in the faceoff dot.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Some guys have an easier time improving on faceoffs than others. Basic math dictates that roughly half of all players will be sub-.500, and I doubt those guys are the sub-.500 guys because they didn't try to improve. Point is, I don't think that just applying some arbitrary amount of effort will automatically make a player good at faceoffs. Some guys are just destined to not be good at faceoffs.

GeoSacks

Sep 11, 2007
Southern Ontario.
Some guys have an easier time improving on faceoffs than others. Basic math dictates that roughly half of all players will be sub-.500, and I doubt those guys are the sub-.500 guys because they didn't try to improve. Point is, I don't think that just applying some arbitrary amount of effort will automatically make a player good at faceoffs. Some guys are just destined to not be good at faceoffs.

That's not exactly true. Players who are good at draws are likely to take a lot more of them than players who aren't. I'd like to see someone run the numbers but I bet there is a relatively small number of players with a high number of draws and a high win % as well as a larger number of players who take fewer draws but lose more often. This really just strengthens your argument, though.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That's not exactly true. Players who are good at draws are likely to take a lot more of them than players who aren't. I'd like to see someone run the numbers but I bet there is a relatively small number of players with a high number of draws and a high win % as well as a larger number of players who take fewer draws but lose more often. This really just strengthens your argument, though.

You certainly make a good point. I suspect it's generally true. I just went and looked up some of these numbers on NHL.com. There are currently 17 players with over 1000 draws this season. Interestingly, 10 of the 17 are under 50%, including 2 (Little and Stepan) who are at a miserable 42%. Only 3 (Bergeron, Vermette, and Gordon) are above 55%. Regardless, we seem to agree, it's certainly not "easy" for guys to be good in the faceoff circle. In a league where everyone is competing for dominance in each facet of the game, I doubt anything is "easy" to be good at, relative to your peers.

Anchor Town*

Worrying about a guy's faceoff stats while he's a prospect seems pretty silly. Joakim Andersson was always cited by Red Wings Central as needing to improve his faceoff skills. Well guess what? He's taken the second most draws on the team and is winning 51% of them.

Winning faceoffs is a pretty easy skill to develop. There's absolutely no reason to fret over a prospect not dominating in the faceoff dot.

Well this is a pretty poor example. Andersson has play more games than all of our other centers (and by a good amount with most of them). Better way to look at it would be faceoffs per game. Datsyuk Weiss Helm and Sheahan all take more faceoffs per game and Zetterberg and Glendening are right behind him. Oh and he's 6th on the team in faceoff percentage.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
McNulty 0+1, +1, 2 PIM in a 5-3 win
Wheaton 0+0, +1 in a 3-2 SO loss
Tvrdon 0+0, +/- 0, 2 PIM in a 3-2 SO loss
Hudon 0+2, +2, 10 PIM, 2 hits in a 7-2 win
De Haas 1+1, -2, 2 shots in a 6-3 loss
Marshall 0+1, -1, 2 PIM & 2 shots in a 2-1 loss
Pope 0+1, 2 PIM in a 6-2 win
Nicastro 0+1, Nedomlel 0+0 in Toledo's 4-3 win

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Well did he win?

I was at the game, Mantha completely destroyed Dauphin. The poor guy was begging the ref to stop it.

One of his goal was a beauty, on a breakaway , he undressed the goalie, got tripped but still scored while falling. I must say I've been to 2 games in the last month and he yaps a lot always trash talking to opposite players after the whistle. Although, , talentwise, he is a man among boys.

Saw this in the Mantha thread, so since it answered your question figured I'd repost it here.

Brandel*

Mantha 1+3 through 2 periods tonight

Granted, his team is up 10-1...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
wow when was the last time detroit had a player that was destroying one of the CHL leagues like Mantha does? Primeau?

I might be wrong here but I'm not sure Primeau dominated quite like Mantha is. Primeau put up huge numbers but did he lead the CHL or anything? I could be completely wrong.

Primeau would be the last one that was at least close to this though

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I might be wrong here but I'm not sure Primeau dominated quite like Mantha is. Primeau put up huge numbers but did he lead the CHL or anything? I could be completely wrong.

Primeau would be the last one that was at least close to this though
Probably not, think he had like 130pts but the CHL during the late 80s and early 90s had plenty of high scoring players like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad