Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Mantha finished the game with 1G, 2A

EDIT: Don't want my post to get lost. I think he's more physical than people believe.

Also, if anyone cares I decided to add up all of Mantha's hits for the season. Through 40 games (incl. tonight) he has 43 hits, with a game high of 5 both on 9/21 and 10/20.

Obviously since the Q doesn't post the numbers on a league wide scale we can't see how it measures to others, but I thought it was interesting to see.

Last edited:

Brandel*

1 pt away from tying his total last year in 27 fewer games

42+46=88 in 40 games

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If not for the WJC Mantha would likely end the season with numbers not too far off from Crosby's last year in the Q. Granted, he's also almost two years older.

Mantha should get some games in the NHL next year.

Ridiculously excited for the fact that the Wings have 4 defensemen in Grand Rapids who could be playing on our second\third pair right now. Kind of sad that they are stuck being Kindl, Quincey, and Lashoff. I honestly think that having a defense of Kronwall-Dekeyser, Smith-Ericsson, Marchenko-Almqvist would give us more of a chance to win every night. If Sproul learns the defensive side of the game we pretty much have 4 surefire second pair guys just sitting in Grand Rapids and one in Sweden. For Ouelette, Almqvist, and Marchenko to have all played NHL games and not looked out of place is a good sign for us.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If not for the WJC Mantha would likely end the season with numbers not too far off from Crosby's last year in the Q. Granted, he's also almost two years older.

Ridiculously excited for the fact that the Wings have 4 defensemen in Grand Rapids who could be playing on our second\third pair right now. Kind of sad that they are stuck being Kindl, Quincey, and Lashoff. I honestly think that having a defense of Kronwall-Dekeyser, Smith-Ericsson, Marchenko-Almqvist would give us more of a chance to win every night. If Sproul learns the defensive side of the game we pretty much have 4 surefire second pair guys just sitting in Grand Rapids and one in Sweden. For Ouelette, Almqvist, and Marchenko to have all played NHL games and not looked out of place is a good sign for us.

Crosby also missed time for the WJC so..... Not sure what the point is, I do like the stat that shows what guys have scored 50 goals in their draft year in major junior in the last decade.

Brandel*

almquist is likely out of the picture

ouellet
sproul
marchenko
backman

that's a solid group of guys though

then we have dekeyser, smith, kronwall, ericsson so not all of them are going to fit

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
almquist is likely out of the picture

ouellet
sproul
marchenko
backman

that's a solid group of guys though

then we have dekeyser, smith, kronwall, ericsson so not all of them are going to fit

Convert Smith to wing once all the others are ready, also keep in mind Sproul is still a few years away

either way we are going to have one of the most talented young D core in the league. with them and our rookie forwards maturing if we can squeak into the playoffs this and next year. then boys were back in business.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Convert Smith to wing once all the others are ready, also keep in mind Sproul is still a few years away

What would that solve though? We have a bunch of wingers coming up in the system too.

Smith has the tools/potential to become a .5 ppg defenseman. Those aren't that easy to come by.

Last edited:

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
What would that solve though? We have a bunch of wingers coming up in the system too.

Smith has the tools/potential to become a .5 ppg defenseman. Those aren't that easy to come by.

Just tryin to think outside the box a little. I just hope we don't basically give a great piece away for cheap because of lack of spots.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Also, if anyone cares I decided to add up all of Mantha's hits for the season. Through 40 games (incl. tonight) he has 43 hits, with a game high of 5 both on 9/21 and 10/20.

Obviously since the Q doesn't post the numbers on a league wide scale we can't see how it measures to others, but I thought it was interesting to see.

I think he's more physical than people believe.

It's that jeff carter/james neal hitting. One per game with big minutes.

Fits well in those comparisons.

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

either way we are going to have one of the most talented young D core in the league. with them and our rookie forwards maturing if we can squeak into the playoffs this and next year. then boys were back in business.

I don't know if Smith's game is suited to forward. Firstly, he naturally skates more upright like a defenseman (kinda hard to explain that one.). And he's better with the puck in open ice than he is in tight spaces like the corners. I think he's better suited as a defenseman.

As far as the other comments go, I personally like Almquist more than Marchenko as a prospect.I salivate over the prospect of Almquist and Sproul as a PP pairing. Plus I love how calm he is with the puck.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think Pulkkinen is seriously underrated around here. 37 pts in 44 gp, just a shade under .9 ppg. We've almost got another PPG player in the AHL and given the amount of attention Nyquist, Jurco and Tatar (who wasn't even PPG in AHL) got, Pulkkinen isn't being talked about nearly enough. RWC has him ranked behind Glendening, Ferraro and Marchenko.

With his point production and natural assets like his shot, I think he's got a good future in the NHL (hopefully in Detroit.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
any idea how much Almquist weighs now? Red wings site has him at 174. He'll get killed out there at that weight. I'm still conflicted on what to do with him next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just tryin to think outside the box a little. I just hope we don't basically give a great piece away for cheap because of lack of spots.

I got ya, but it's not like we don't have congestion at wing. We have a ton of forwards under contract. Ferraro and Callahan are out of waivers next year. Pulkkinen is tearing up the A. Jurco and Mantha aren't that far away. Athanasiou has gone back to wing, and is tearing up juniors.

You'd just be helping one problem, but them adding to another.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
any idea how much Almquist weighs now? Red wings site has him at 174. He'll get killed out there at that weight. I'm still conflicted on what to do with him next year.
He might be closer to 180 but not above that for sure. He does a good job avoiding hits by moving the puck quick but he's been hit hard a couple of times... I think he missed some time last year (playoffs?) after someone ran over him pretty hard.

Aug 6, 2012
He might be closer to 180 but not above that for sure. He does a good job avoiding hits by moving the puck quick but he's been hit hard a couple of times... I think he missed some time last year (playoffs?) after someone ran over him pretty hard.

He missed most of the finals after taking a high hit from Panik and falling into the boards, suffered a concussion.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

He rarely gets injured, he's smart in the sense Lidstrom stayed healthy forever because he knew how to avoid hits. He only got injured last year due to a cheap shot.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
I got ya, but it's not like we don't have congestion at wing. We have a ton of forwards under contract. Ferraro and Callahan are out of waivers next year. Pulkkinen is tearing up the A. Jurco and Mantha aren't that far away. Athanasiou has gone back to wing, and is tearing up juniors.

You'd just be helping one problem, but them adding to another.

Very true. It's one of tho's things I hate about following prospects. I get attached. and unlike a lot of teams right now we really have just a crazy amount of talent at almost all positions that will make the NHL in some capacity. we are going to lose at least 2 D probably at least 2 wingers over the next 3 years.

then the thought of trading them which is logical and the only real move, still bums me out because then I have to not only see players go but their potential as well.

I will be very upset if Ouellet or Sproul get traded. would prefer not to trade Backman and Marchenko but since I have not seen them much until this year I guess I could live with it depending on what we got in return. Almquist is a guy I like and really wanted to see on the Wings but I think he might just end up being waived, and picked up. Jenson is the only guy who I am completely alright trading and that is only because I never really followed him in college and he hasn't really impressed me yet in GR. I hope he gets hot in the playoffs so he can be worth more at the Draft.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He rarely gets injured, he's smart in the sense Lidstrom stayed healthy forever because he knew how to avoid hits. He only got injured last year due to a cheap shot.
I agree he does a great job avoiding hits but when he does get hit he's very vulnerable due to his size. And in the NHL the opponents are one step faster & stronger. Are we talking about that Panik hit? I don't think it was a cheap shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_GLvxGWTSU

Speaking of d-men, Bäckman scored a goal tonight. A +2, 2 SOG, 1 hit and 21:54 ice time.

EDIT. Here's video of the goal, at 1:19: http://www.shl.se/video/3133326650001/

Last edited:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I agree he does a great job avoiding hits but when he does get hit he's very vulnerable due to his size. And in the NHL the opponents are one step faster & stronger. Are we talking about that Panik hit? I don't think it was a cheap shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_GLvxGWTSU

Speaking of d-men, Bäckman scored a goal tonight. A +2, 2 SOG, 1 hit and 21:54 ice time.

EDIT. Here's video of the goal, at 1:19: http://www.shl.se/video/3133326650001/

Alright, good games from Backman and Athanasiou, I'm a happy guy. :nod:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
No points for Mantha. Looks like Duclair is on a serious hot streak and could pass Mantha in the scoring lead soon. Already leads in goals.

Athanasiou highlights: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/6a505edc629f20a02dee22cae2d83966
Nastasiuk highlights: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/5510e92e0c62a59fa82488dc560f7c96

Hudon 1+0
Wheaton 0+1
McNulty 1+0 & a fight
Pope 0+1
Nedomlel 0+1

Pulkkinen has 8 points in his last 4 games in GR, 11th in AHL scoring.

McNulty's fight:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad