Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, but if we split the size (like I think that's always the way to go on long run), Sheahan is the ideal center to carry smallish wingers like Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkkinen.

I don't know that splitting the size is really necessary. I mean look at that Fil-Z-Hudler line. Though I suppose it depends if Babcock is still coach or not.

When Datsyuk, Z, and Mule are all old farts we could ice something like..

Mantha-Sheahan-Jurco
Nyquist-Jarnkrok-Tatar
Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mule

Or flip the 2nd and 3rd line.

Roll those 3 lines evenly, or change the order however you want, and boy that is a squad.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Athanasiou with 5 points(3G, 2A) so far tonight. with 16 minutes left in the 3rd. his team is up 6-1

Is he center or winger currently?

Jesus, he scored 4th goal again. 4+2 now and game is 8-1.

I just watched his OHL stats before the game and he was 11th in scoring before the game. Now, when the game is still on, he's 4th in the league. He climbed 7 spots in the OHL scoring standings in one game. :D

Last edited:

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Figured I'd check in to talk about Andreas Athanasiou's 5 goal, 7 point night.

AA hit both the 100 career goal mark and 200 career point mark tonight in his 237th game. In his last 28 games, AA has 31 goals and 52 points.

Tonight everything was clicking for him. Here's a breakdown of his scoring plays:

1st goal - Picked up the puck along the wall in full stride, blew past the defender, went in alone and buried a backhand shot.
2nd goal - Picked up a drop pass from Hall at the top of the circle, held it for a bit then fired a shot, beating the goaltender.
1st assist - Tail end of a dominant shift on the powerplay. Took a shot and the rebound came out to Theoret, who scored.
2nd assist - Brilliant pass through the crease to Theoret who buried the easy goal.
3rd goal - Embarrassed the defender with a quick, yet spectacular deke, then went in all alone and proceeded to embarrass the goaltender with nice moves and good shot.
4th goal - Drove the net hard and Theoret's pass landed right on his stick, where Athanasiou simply redirected it into the back of the net.
5th goal - Theoret got crushed behind the play, Athanasiou picked up the puck in the neutral zone where he dangled around the defender and went backhand on yet another breakaway.

AA is awesome.

That is all.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

AA hit both the 100 career goal mark and 200 career point mark tonight in his 237th game. In his last 28 games, AA has 31 goals and 52 points.

Tonight everything was clicking for him. Here's a breakdown of his scoring plays:

1st goal - Picked up the puck along the wall in full stride, blew past the defender, went in alone and buried a backhand shot.
2nd goal - Picked up a drop pass from Hall at the top of the circle, held it for a bit then fired a shot, beating the goaltender.
1st assist - Tail end of a dominant shift on the powerplay. Took a shot and the rebound came out to Theoret, who scored.
2nd assist - Brilliant pass through the crease to Theoret who buried the easy goal.
3rd goal - Embarrassed the defender with a quick, yet spectacular deke, then went in all alone and proceeded to embarrass the goaltender with nice moves and good shot.
4th goal - Drove the net hard and Theoret's pass landed right on his stick, where Athanasiou simply redirected it into the back of the net.
5th goal - Theoret got crushed behind the play, Athanasiou picked up the puck in the neutral zone where he dangled around the defender and went backhand on yet another breakaway.

AA is awesome.

That is all.

Thanks for the breakdown. Real excited about this kids potential.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

AA is awesome.

That is all.

Right on cue, perfect timing!

Thanks for coming over

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Been a big fan ever since he was drafted. He's going to make the DRW on defense and skating alone. The prolific offensive output this year is a great sign.

So his defense is good? I'd never heard that. Great news if true, I can just imagine how fast an Athanasiou-Helm-Ferraro line would be.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
God I can't wait to see AA play in GR. I just want to see that speed translate in the pro game. Can never have enough speed in this game.

No1Joker

May 11, 2009
Helsinki
Whats wrong with Pulkinnen? Noone seems to rate the poor kid despite producing in the AHL unlike others.

Its because his finnish and this board is filled with love for Sweden :sarcasm:

Seriously though, i always knew his style and talent fits perfectly for NA style of game. And his hockey IQ is very underrated.

Anchor Town*

Whats wrong with Pulkinnen? Noone seems to rate the poor kid despite producing in the AHL unlike others.

Hard to argue against the players ahead of him (Mantha, Jurco, Mrazek, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Ouellet, Sproul)

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Hard to argue against the players ahead of him (Mantha, Jurco, Mrazek, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Ouellet, Sproul)

I actually have him at #5 or at least tied at 5 with Jarnkrok. He looks great on the NA ice and has produced fairly consistently all year. Jarnkrok is a center and plays a better 2-way game but he is just now really adjusting. by the end of the season he might make the clean hop over Pulks but at this point Teemu deserves to be ranked above him. as far as Ouellet, I can see it I suppose. he's NHL ready with high potential both ways and is a natural leader. but Sproul's defense puts him around 8 at best for me and its only because of his potential that he's that high.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

I was never that down on him, so I'm not that up on him now(compared to original prognosis). He turned it up in the second half last season which was the important thing for me. He needs to score to make the NHL, it's as easy as that. Compared to most of our other forward prospects he's either smaller, slower or worse defensively, so his thing has to be offense and his shot.

He's due for a callup soon enough, probably not until next season though. I think that's when we'll really see where he fits in, if he fits in.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is he really 6'2 and 200lbs? Wasn't he a smaller guy?

Smaller by weight or height?

Saw one source saying he was 6'0" 165 lbs when drafted. (HF profile)

Old mlive article said he was 6'2" 165 lbs when drafted.

Either way he's always had decent height, never been a short guy.
But seems like he's put on 25-30 lbs in not even 2 years, which seems pretty crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad