Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I think he would. There will be center spots open at next season that should be a good fit. Sheahan promoted, Ferraro promoted, Aubry released, Emmerton goes to Europe etc.

XXX - Järnkrok - XXX
XXX - Janmark? - XXX
XXX - Glendening - XXX
XXX - Athanasiou? - XXX

And some extra is needed... like McIntyre or somebody.

when thinking more of it Griffins will stay insanely strong also for 2014-15 season.

It pretty much looks like Sheahan, Ferraro, Callahan and Almquist could be promoted in NHL. At least they will lose their waiver-eligibility. And at same time, we have Mantha, Athanasiou, Janmark and Bäckman coming in AHL? Also Jake Paterson is coming, so maybe McCollum or Coreau will make room for him. If Evans is let walk and Nedomlel takes his spot as a physical D, we'll have these kind of 2014-15 Griffins:

Jurco - Järnkrok - Pulkkinen
Mantha - Janmark - Frk
Hoggan - Glendening - Tvrdon
Grant - Athanasiou - Parkes
(McIntyre, Nestrasil, etc. AHL-vet depth)

Ouellet - Sproul
Bäckman - Marchenko
Nedomlel - Jensen
(Paetsch)

Mrazek? (if not in NHL)
Paterson
McCollum
Coreau?

I think that Nestrasil has improved greatly playing center and just needs to find his scoring but he and Parkes are at the end of their EL contracts. I read that they had moved AA back to wing then his scoring picked back up so I don't know if he will be a center at GRG. Nastasiuk, lil Bert, and one of Wheaton or McNulty may be in GR next year too

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Mantha 1G, 1A tonight and officially passes last year's point total.

43+47 (90 pts) in 42 games

Brandel*

his pace has slowed down a bit in January, hopefully he can pick it up and win the goals/pts in the Q

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tyler Bertuzzi is injured again this year with the same injury he suffered from last year (minus the concussion)

Winger Tyler Bertuzzi (Guelph, OHL) hasn’t played since early December with a head/neck injury and could miss another two to six weeks, according to the Guelph Mercury. The injury is not a concussion, according to the report, but it’s the same injury that forced him to miss 25 games last season. “He’s making very good progress, but there is no exact return date at this point,†Storm general manager Mike Kelly told the paper.

I hope this isn't going to continue to be a re-occurring problem for him, I know head/neck injuries can be tricky.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2014/02/03/4456/jarnkrok-scoring-outburst-just-a-matter-of-time/

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Tyler Bertuzzi is injured again this year with the same injury he suffered from last year (minus the concussion)

I hope this isn't going to continue to be a re-occurring problem for him, I know head/neck injuries can be tricky.

As a fan of both the Red Wings and the Storm, I have to say I am quite concerned about these injuries. Keep in mind he also dealt with concussion issues during his 16 year old season in the OHL as well. Now this latest injury hasn't been diagnosed as a concussion, but its still a head/neck injury which marks 3 in 3 seasons.

I do have an update though, he has been practicing for a few days now with a non-contact jersey. Probably a few weeks away still though. Hopefully he can remain healthy for what is expected to be a deep playoff run for the Storm.

Soulhawk

Dec 12, 2013
How do the leauges Ohl, whl and Q compare, are they considered equal?

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2014/02/03/4456/jarnkrok-scoring-outburst-just-a-matter-of-time/

He should do just like M.Callahan, let off the physical play for a while (at least go non-fighting) and concentrate for other things. His nasty nature doesn't disappear anywhere.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's something you can work on, mostly a technique-thing. Griffins is a place to fix that thing.

Kris Draper, where are you?

Sometimes, but some guys just never seem to get it. With Edmonton coming up around here a few times lately, especially when Hemsky was brought up, I couldn't help but notice that Gagner and RNH are still pretty mediocre (or just out and out bad) at faceoffs. And they certainly have the raw physical abilities that should lead to at least an average faceoff guy.

WIth Datsyuk, his first year was at 47% win and I think that was the low for his career. So he wasn't great, but there have been guys a lot worse. We also had Yzerman, Draper, and Fedorov winning over 50% of their draws at the time. :)

He's not good right now but I'm sure he can learn. It might have something to do with what Andersson said about his (lack of proper) off-season training so far. But being bad at faceoffs doesn't always mean you can't play center...

He could learn, but it doesn't mean he will. I'm just saying it's a noticeably weak spot to his game, and I put a premium on faceoffs for our centers. If he can't go out and win ~50% of his faceoffs, I'd rather have a guy there who can and move Janmark to wing.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Sometimes, but some guys just never seem to get it. With Edmonton coming up around here a few times lately, especially when Hemsky was brought up, I couldn't help but notice that Gagner and RNH are still pretty mediocre (or just out and out bad) at faceoffs. And they certainly have the raw physical abilities that should lead to at least an average faceoff guy.

WIth Datsyuk, his first year was at 47% win and I think that was the low for his career. So he wasn't great, but there have been guys a lot worse. We also had Yzerman, Draper, and Fedorov winning over 50% of their draws at the time. :)

He could learn, but it doesn't mean he will. I'm just saying it's a noticeably weak spot to his game, and I put a premium on faceoffs for our centers. If he can't go out and win ~50% of his faceoffs, I'd rather have a guy there who can and move Janmark to wing.

I'm not too worried about it. Detroit is miles ahead of Edmonton at developing prospects. They'll put Janmark in a position to improve.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
How do the leauges Ohl, whl and Q compare, are they considered equal?

They are comparable. They are all members of the CHL.

The CHL is broken down into regional leagues (OHL, WHL and QMJHL) and only play within the region, because teams travel by bus.

At the end of the year a tournament of champions is held (called the Memorial Cup) where each league (O, W and Q) champions play each other to determine the CHL champion.

Players must play in there regional league based on where they play their minor hockey. ie 15 years old playing in Ontario and Michigan enter OHL draft, Alberta and B.C. enter WHL, Quebec and Maritime provinces go QMJHL. Only if a player is passed over in his regional draft may he enter another league.

So they are all elite for junior hockey in Canada aged 16-20 years old. Its just a matter of where a player is from that determines which of the three leagues he plays in.

Brandel*

OHL Prospects Blog @BrockOtten

Zach Nastasiuk takes a high hit along the boards from Jake Dotchin and is clearly not right. Helped off ice. Possible concussion #hopenot

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Does Janmark win enough faceoffs to be a center? Every time I see updates in here it seems he's winning 20% or 30% of his draws, way too low to be an effective center.

He's already been converted to left wing. And given his style, combined with his strengths and weaknesses, I don't see him going back to center in NA. It will be a tough enough transition going to GR already, I doubt they add in a conversion back to center on top of it.

EDIT: This discussion compelled me to look again at our prospect list. I think Sheahan and Jarnkrok are our only legit prospects who project as centers in the NHL. The rest (Glendening, Ferraro, Janmark, and Athanasiou) have all already been converted or, I believe, will be converted to the wing. We don't have many center prospects, but luckily we've got a bunch on the big club.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm, Andersson, Sheahan, and Jarnkrok. With Glendening, Franzen, and maybe even Abdlekader able to slide over in a pinch. And Emmerton still floating around in the ether. Pretty good organizational depth anyway.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Janmark has played wing this year but since they sold 2 of their centers, I bet he'll play center for the rest of the year, and already did in their last game. I agree he'll probably end up on the wing but similar to Franzen he could play center if needed.

As mentioned above, the Wings haven't drafted many pure centers in the last couple of drafts. Should probably try to find a couple of those.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
He's already been converted to left wing. And given his style, combined with his strengths and weaknesses, I don't see him going back to center in NA. It will be a tough enough transition going to GR already, I doubt they add in a conversion back to center on top of it.

EDIT: This discussion compelled me to look again at our prospect list. I think Sheahan and Jarnkrok are our only legit prospects who project as centers in the NHL. The rest (Glendening, Ferraro, Janmark, and Athanasiou) have all already been converted or, I believe, will be converted to the wing. We don't have many center prospects, but luckily we've got a bunch on the big club.

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm, Andersson, Sheahan, and Jarnkrok. With Glendening, Franzen, and maybe even Abdlekader able to slide over in a pinch. And Emmerton still floating around in the ether. Pretty good organizational depth anyway.

Don't forget Nastasiuk, he's a legit prospect and will be a center.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Don't forget Nastasiuk, he's a legit prospect and will be a center.

I thought he's been playing wing lately, no? I'm honestly not sure, that's just what I thought I remember hearing. I've just considered him more of a winger, maybe incorrectly.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I thought he's been playing wing lately, no? I'm honestly not sure, that's just what I thought I remember hearing. I've just considered him more of a winger, maybe incorrectly.
Mostly right wing at least in the games I've seen. But he can play center too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad