TSN: Red Wings pending UFA Updates

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Picks in the 3rd round (or later) have a 12% chance of making the NHL so there is an 88% chance you're in fact getting nothing.

Now there are additional factors to consider. What does caving your ask from a 1st to a 3rd do for yourself in future negotiations? Will other GMs still respect your initial ask in future deals?

What happens to your relationship with Nyquist after trading him? Its nice and all to say "trade him and resign him" but this is actually a very rare sequence of events. How does his value change after a playoff run? Things change quickly once the player leaves the organization so you can't guarantee he comes back.

It's nice to say "a 3rd is better than nothing" but that just isn't true most of the time and when you consider other factors, dumping Nyquist for a 3rd or 5th is NOT worth it.
It's a business...Even athletes understand as much...I'm sure he'll get over it just as KFQ had done some years ago.

And lets be honest here shall we? It's not like Gus, and his 'usual' 40 to 50 pts per season is irreplaceable. He's a decent 2nd line winger that excels when others do more of the 'heavy lifting'.

By no means do I hate the guy, and yes it would be nice to see him back in Detroit next season, but if Holland can profit from a trade - then why not?

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How many damn vets to mentor the youth do they need? They already have a bunch of old guys on the roster. If you want a "mentor," you can sign one in free agency for the minimum.

Ask the Oilers what it’s like to have all young players in key positions and no good quality vets...

Reactions: tfong

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Would be worth re-signing Nyquist on a 3 year deal. And then trade him like we did Tatar next season as a player under contract... with cost certainty for a much higher value. If he is overpaid, he is worth nothing, underpaid, he is worth something.

So his AAV must be fair
And he must NOT have a NTC.

With those 2 assumptions, id much prefer a signed Nyquist than a 3rd round pick.

If Nyquist wants 6+ years. Trade him. We are not going to resign him at all, so take a 3rd and good luck.
If Nyquists wants 6M + again trade him for whatever we can get.

Its all dependant on information we do not have here to discuss.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Would be worth re-signing Nyquist on a 3 year deal. And then trade him like we did Tatar next season as a player under contract... with cost certainty for a much higher value. If he is overpaid, he is worth nothing, underpaid, he is worth something.

So his AAV must be fair
And he must NOT have a NTC.

With those 2 assumptions, id much prefer a signed Nyquist than a 3rd round pick.

If Nyquist wants 6+ years. Trade him. We are not going to resign him at all, so take a 3rd and good luck.
If Nyquists wants 6M + again trade him for whatever we can get.

Its all dependant on information we do not have here to discuss.
I doubt Nyquist would sign a 3 year deal. It's prob his last contract which is why I think he should be traded.

Reactions: Oddbob

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
We got Green to sign a 3 year deal. Holland has not signed anyone older to a really long deal in the last 2 years (when we have been knowingly rebuilding) so this will be the first test to see what kind of crazy deals he gives out to a team even he says is rebuilding.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I doubt Nyquist would sign a 3 year deal. It's prob his last contract which is why I think he should be traded.
Me thinks Gus, and his agent are looking for nothing less than 5 years (even if he may not get a substantial raise - given his age he'll most likely prefer the length of the deal).

But yeah - if Holland can get sumthin decent in return right now - why not do it, and then discuss him re-joining the Wings in July.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They did? Kadri and Gardiner? Hell, last year you still had JVR, Komarov, Bozak, Martin and Polak.

In 2016 the 1st line was PA Pareantue with Bozak and Komarov so yes they burned itto the ground not to mention EVERYBODY got fired the year before.

Yes they burned it to the ground

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
In 2016 the 1st line was PA Pareantue with Bozak and Komarov so yes they burned itto the ground not to mention EVERYBODY got fired the year before.

Yes they burned it to the ground

And in 2017 you still had Bozak and Komarov. I think you are confusing "drafting Austin Matthews" with "burning it to the ground". :laugh:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And in 2017 you still had Bozak and Komarov. I think you are confusing "drafting Austin Matthews" with "burning it to the ground". :laugh:

Nah when Komarov is on your top line and Brad Boyes is in your top 6 You have burned it to the ground , the reason people like you can't see that is because the next year literally EVERY prospect that came up worked out in the best case scenario and it sped the rebuild to the point that you don't believe it happened but it was absolutely burned down.

Then the absolute BEST scenario happened and thus people don't believe it was ever burned down but it was

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Nah when Komarov is on your top line and Brad Boyes is in your top 6 You have burned it to the ground , the reason people like you can't see that is because the next year literally EVERY prospect that came up worked out in the best case scenario and it sped the rebuild to the point that you don't believe it happened but it was absolutely burned down.

Then the absolute BEST scenario happened and thus people don't believe it was ever burned down but it was

Having 33 year old Boyes is "burning it down" now? Wow, this and the fact your team hasn't won 3 playoff series since 1932 is why people dont take leafs fans seriously. :laugh:

Reactions: Go Wings

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Getting whatever for Gus would be the same as Holland caving into AA's salary demands when he was holding out a couple years ago. It just sets a bad precedent.

Getting whatever for Gus just tells other GM's to just wait it out, eventually Holland will take whatever crap is offered.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Wings should get 2 more then upward!

More like 4, and that's with lottery balls bouncing our way. Meaning not having teams jump over us, not necessarily going all Edmonton and ending up with the top pick 4 times.

Lucking out with what would seem like the 30th generaional player drafted this generation would definitely help.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Getting whatever for Gus would be the same as Holland caving into AA's salary demands when he was holding out a couple years ago. It just sets a bad precedent.

Getting whatever for Gus just tells other GM's to just wait it out, eventually Holland will take whatever crap is offered.

Except only one GM can get Gus... there is incentive to pay more than the minimum based on that competition. And even if there's only 1 GM interested, he's not guaranteed to get Gus.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

If he re-signs (3 years) to the age of 33, that would not be his last contract. He's a healthy player that looks like he will have a long NHL career. He could easily play to the age of atleast 36. And he's not getting a 6 year contract.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Valtteri Filppula

We were still in the playoffs at that point. Hell, that was the year we were up 3-1 on Chicago in round 2. Trading him there would have been ultra aggressive in the rebuild. When you're in the playoffs and are three years removed from a Cup final, you don't deal a guy like that.

I mean, at the point the proceeding 4 years were...

Lost Cup Final
Lost 2nd round to San Jose
Lost 2nd round to San Jose
Lost 1st round to Nashville (a Nashville team that was basically designed to beat Detroit) in which Babcock got outcoached moreso than lack of talent.

There wasn't multiple years of first round failure at this point. They felt they had a chance to do something in the lockout shortened season.

Add in a oouple more years of being a drum in the first (Boston, Tampa, Tampa) and yeah, I get it. But the lockout year would not have been the time to deal a guy like Filppula at the TDL so you could get something/anything for him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pricetags:

- Nyquist, conditional 1st (playoff success, reaching conference finals or contract extension)
- Howard, same as above, conditional 1st
- Jensen, 2nd round pick
- Glendening, 2nd round pick
- Daley, 3rd round pick
- Vanek, 6th rounder

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Pricetags:

- Vanek, 6th rounder

From what I've heard/read, Vanek doesn't want to change addresses in late February for a 3rd season in a row and intends to take full advantage of his NTC and finish the year in Detroit.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If he re-signs (3 years) to the age of 33, that would not be his last contract. He's a healthy player that looks like he will have a long NHL career. He could easily play to the age of atleast 36. And he's not getting a 6 year contract.
I was referring to him signing a long term deal as I don't think he signs a 3 year contract. I hope you are right though, I don't want him signed with a raise for long term.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Bob Mackenzie said last night Jensen is pretty much as good as traded. Theyve talked contract but dont seem like its gonna happen and theres A LOT of interest in him going into the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad