TSN: Red Wings pending UFA Updates

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
"Yes, we're definitely going to sign everybody so if you want them you better pay up big time or they're not available. This is not a negotiating tactic, we are dead serious!"

- Every seller ever

It gets so tiring it’s the same song and dance every deadline. I’m sure every player is sitting there saying ‘I’m okay if you trade me, but I’m also willing to sign a contract with you’.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It is not the end of the world if we re-sign these guys.
We will be graduating off some other veterans in the next 1-2 years.

However, It is probably a better long term move to trade them.

But if the best offer for Jensen is a 3rd round pick... and the best offer for Nyquist is a 3rd round pick... Ya don't trade them just to get 3rd rounders... who cares about 3rd round picks.

Reactions: newfy

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
But if the best offer for Jensen is a 3rd round pick... and the best offer for Nyquist is a 3rd round pick... Ya don't trade them just to get 3rd rounders... who cares about 3rd round picks.

I'd take a 3rd for Jensen unless we get rid of Daley since they're talking about re-signing Kronner. Don't want Green, Dekeyser, Ericsson, Daley, Kronner, and Jensen preventing both Cholowski and Hronek from being on the big club all year next season.

I'd also take a 3rd for Nyquist with a condition that it becomes a 2nd if that team re-signs him. But I do think he's a perfect candidate to be traded and re-signed by the Wings. I'd be happy to have Nyquist back with a bonus 3rd.

Reactions: FMichael

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
The Red wings just WILL NOT rebuild they remind me SO MUCH of the Leafs from 2008-2014

In 2014 Leafs were trading their draft picks for roster players like they are going out of style. The past few years Red Wings have acquired more draft picks and drafted more players than they have since like 1993. And haven't drafted top 6 since like 1990.

How in the world is the 2014 Leafs anything near like what Detroit Red Wings are doing? Just mind boggling comment that is either a bold face lie or you are completely clueless about what your own team did and what Detroit is doing now. Not even in the same UNIVERSE......... /facepalm

Whooooooooosh

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

I do have an issue in resigning either Nyquist and Jensen, however not Howard.

Reasons:

Nyquist will guaranteed get at least a 5-6 year deal at 6+ million per, with full NTC. While I like Gus, I very much think, we will see the 40 ish point player we have seen in the previous seasons, and not perform like he has this year. Wish I am wrong, but have a very big feeling I am not.

Jensen, has gotten a much higher reputation this season than he should have, just by not being as bad as expected, rather than he was so good, he earned it. With that, he is going to get much more money than he should get, and for more years. I would be surprised to see him get 4 years at 3.5 per, and I being very honest wouldn't give him more than 1-2 years at less than 2 million per season. There are much better UFA d-men out there than Nick Jensen and he doesn't help improve us in any way.

Howard is at most getting a 2 year deal and reasonable money, and the UFA goalies out there aren't any better, unless you want to ridiculously overpay Bobrovsky who has been largely average at best this year, and has poor playoff performances than this. That, and we legit have no one else that is likely ever to play more than 20 NHL games at most, as I don't see much from any of our goalie prospects.

Bottomline, we need to get whatever we can for Jensen, even if it is only a 4th rounder, as he is depth at best, and Nyquist should get us at worst a 2nd plus a decent to ok prospect and hopefully frees us of giving him a dumb contract. We aren't getting a 1st for Howard, but I don't think a late 1st is a ridiculous asking price for Nyquist. I think honestly Pittsburgh would look good with him, as Gus doesn't have to be first tier scoring their, and has 2 high qaulity centers there he could play with.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In 2014 Leafs were trading their draft picks for roster players like they are going out of style. The past few years Red Wings have acquired more draft picks and drafted more players than they have since like 1993. And haven't drafted top 6 since like 1990.

How in the world is the 2014 Leafs anything near like what Detroit Red Wings are doing? Just mind boggling comment that is either a bold face lie or you are completely clueless about what your own team did and what Detroit is doing now. Not even in the same UNIVERSE......... /facepalm

Whooooooooosh

I know exactly what my team did, my team burned it to the f***ing ground, then put the fire out, then poured gasoline on the ground, then lit another match and made sure EVERYTHING was dead then they plamted new seeds that grew into Matthews Marner, Nylander Rielly Kapanen, Johnsson etc

But first they burned EVERYTHING

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Nyquist would have been one of the greats if they only ever signed him to 1-yr deals. He only shoots above 9% in contract years.

Reactions: marcmadsen

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Unless a player loves the city/team, how many times have we seen this happen? Basically a team publicly stating that if they can't find the right deal they'll just re-sign the player.

But... from a player's point of view, why exactly would they re-sign unless it's for an overpayment? The team has basically said 'we like you, but you're still expendable and we only want you back if nobody else likes you'. What benefit does a Hayes/Nyquist/etc. have to sign a deal now as opposed to just waiting for free agency, especially when the team shows that you aren't part of their long-term plans.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

if that's the best offer, why not? what are they going to do for the red wings the rest of the season? you have 2 options in this scenario:

A: Finish in the lottery/out of the playoffs and get a 3rd round pick
or
B: Finish in the lottery/out of the playoffs and don't get a 3rd round pick.

Why would anyone purposely choose option B?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
if that's the best offer, why not? what are they going to do for the red wings the rest of the season? you have 2 options in this scenario:

or

because we can not have the 3rd round pick and also pick later and get Boldy instead of Cozens or Zegras instead of Dach

doesn't that sound appealing?

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
How many damn vets to mentor the youth do they need? They already have a bunch of old guys on the roster. If you want a "mentor," you can sign one in free agency for the minimum.

To keep the young guns from blowing out. I posted this on another thread:

"What I like about this season is Wings are losing 1 goal games. They are fighting back from from 5-1 deficit in the 3rd period to force OT. These young players are learning how to compete night in, night out. They are learning how to fight back and never say die. They are a team that refuses to get embarrassed while they are rebuilding."

As for mentoring from FA. The formula the Wings have now work. They are rebuilding the right way.

That's not to say I would give Nyquist 6 years @ 6 million and a NMC. I'd prefer he get something under 3 years and not having a clause at all. I'd rather that option over signing a FA plug. Nyquist is better than that player and has a good attitude.

Or trade Nyquist for a 1st. Can't turn down a 1st rounder!

Reactions: TS Quint

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

or

I don't get it either.

Sure, you play the PR game to maximize your trade leverage. But nobody really believes it, and with two months left in the season, what exactly is Nyquist going to revolutionize from either a mentoring or a performance standpoint, that's worth more than even a third rounder?

Shoot for the moon, but rent everybody ppossible. Revisit them in July if you like, but keep things fiscally responsible then as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad