Red Wings hire Mike Barwis

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Datsyuk needing the procedure was known at exit meetings. He choose to delay it, part of it I think was he was hoping doing it later might get them to relent on him canceling his deal after year 1. I remember hearing at the time a part of it was also the Shaq esk, I have been hurt on company time, I want to rehab on company time.

We know a little more about his attempts to bail so that makes more sense.

The medical team allowing Weiss to attempt playing through a sports hernia is shockingly bad.

First I ever heard that, and googling such allegations doesn't yield much. In fact, the only 2 things I found were this from this NHL.com article, in which Ken Holland had the following to say:

“We weren’t sure what was the matter with his ankle at the end of the year,” Holland said, of Datsyuk. “He had some concerns about his tendons in his ankle and we felt with four, five, six weeks of time off it should heal. It didn’t heal.”
Datsyuk has ankle surgery

Which directly contradicts your speculation.

And article number 2 comes from the "trustworthy and esteemed journalist" Jeff Moss, in which he speculates why Datsyuk waited.
The Guilt of Pavel Datsyuk and the Innocence of Sergei Fedorov – Detroit Sports Rag

So you got Ken Holland saying "we felt it would heal with rest," obviously referring to team management and doctors.

And then you have Jeff Moss, the origin of the hilarious "Swedish Mafia" scoop.

So I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on that one. Sounds like a lot of after-the-fact sour grapes speculative bullcrap from someone still bitter over how Datsyuk left to me.

Reactions: muchbetterthanlada

muchbetterthanlada

Oct 24, 2015
Datsyuk needing the procedure was known at exit meetings. He choose to delay it, part of it I think was he was hoping doing it later might get them to relent on him canceling his deal after year 1. I remember hearing at the time a part of it was also the Shaq esk, I have been hurt on company time, I want to rehab on company time.

We know a little more about his attempts to bail so that makes more sense.
You just can't help yourself when it comes to Datsyuk can you?

Wings played game 7 at Tampa on April 29th 2015
Pav had surgery on June 26th in Charlotte, N.C.

Seems like a reasonable amount of time to wait and see if you're not sure what's what.

EDIT: removed some quotes as TheClap had already posted them.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
I may have some bias as I come from the strength and conditionong field, but strength and conditionong is the #1 easiest way to improve a team snd there is absolutely no excuse to have a program that poor. Thats pathetic imo.

I know in years past everyone joked about this franchise being the old boys club, but it seems it has still been run that way even though all the old stars are gone. Im very glad to see Yzerman addressing the lacking areas and giving this organization a slight overhaul.

A little tidbit, my gym partner over the last few years played AAA hockey his entire life. He never started lifting weights until his hockey career was over. I packed almost 40lbs of muscle on this kid over the last 3 years, and when he stepped on the ice for the first time in years he was blown away at how good his skating was. He had not been on the ice in years, he weighed way more then he did back then, and was still much much quicker then he used to be.

Off ice training makes an unbelievable difference and it blows my mind how many NHL players are in pathetic shape off the ice. Hell, my cousin played all the way through a D1 hockey program and was never even taught how to do a proper squat until I showed him. The NHL recently posted a video of Michael Grabner doing squats with what appears to be 315lbs, but he is completely breaking at the knees and not even hitting paralell on the lift, its a pretty bad squat to my standards. I would wager most NHL players are just as clueless in the weight room. MSL is the only NHL player ive seen execute a good squat on video.

i work as a strength & conditioning coach as well, and when i see NHL players off the ice, i'm often times as shocked as you are. Of course, physical appearence and muscle mass isn't everthing. These might really be good athletes, i've seen very impressive videos of Letang for example, but those videos you see are almost always in an individual offseason training session.

With the skating, it's so easy to improve specific strength for hockey players - like a contrast and complex system involving the slideboard a lot. I'm really curious how the team strength and conditioning looked for the red wings all those years

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Off ice training makes an unbelievable difference and it blows my mind how many NHL players are in pathetic shape off the ice. Hell, my cousin played all the way through a D1 hockey program and was never even taught how to do a proper squat until I showed him. The NHL recently posted a video of Michael Grabner doing squats with what appears to be 315lbs, but he is completely breaking at the knees and not even hitting paralell on the lift, its a pretty bad squat to my standards. I would wager most NHL players are just as clueless in the weight room. MSL is the only NHL player ive seen execute a good squat on video.

Recently, or in years past? Because it seems like all of the players are strong now. I mean Abdelkader sucks, but he is strong. I have seen pictures of him deadlifting a bunch of weight.

Even guys like Gerbe that are out of the league have posted videos of them squatting 500 lbs when he only weighs ~175 or so. You see any pro hockey player in person, and it's pretty evident their lower body is developed.

These guys all seem pretty strong to me, and there's no excuse not to be with the advancements in training and amount of competition out there.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Recently, or in years past? Because it seems like all of the players are strong now. I mean Abdelkader sucks, but he is strong. I have seen pictures of him deadlifting a bunch of weight.

Even guys like Gerbe that are out of the league have posted videos of them squatting 500 lbs when he only weighs ~175 or so. You see any pro hockey player in person, and it's pretty evident their lower body is developed.

These guys all seem pretty strong to me, and there's no excuse not to be with the advancements in training and amount of competition out there.
I'm guessing most are strong on the weights but I do wonder how much some of the guys do the less sexy training like working on flexibility and working on smaller supportive muscle groups that are uniquely used in hockey.

I don't know if it's true or not but people here talked about Karlsson not training in the offseason. To me that's not impressive, it's foolish.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan

I would wager that most of the NHL is still not very strong in the weight room today. Not that its necessary, but it helps considerably. Abdelkader has always been big, and I imagine he developed lifting habits early along with having the time to lift playing college hockey. MSU is a school with a ton of successful D1 teams, I doubt they are lacking in the strength and conditioning field. Gerbe was also a college hockey player, who had to have massive lower body strength to cut it in the NHL much like MSL did. I would bet most players coming from college programs are much stronger then those that come out of juniors. When my cousin played in the NAHL before his D1 days his team did not even provide a weight room or gym for the players, while college kids have that type of thing in their regimen. Unfortunately Michigan Tech did not provide the best off ice program for my cousin either, although thats a smaller school with few other successful athletics.

I agree that there should be no excuse to not be strong with the advancements we see today, but the entire Wings organization having a completely outdated strength and conditioning program shows that not everyone is up with those advancements.

Even with Grabner, I would have been 10x more impressed with a 225 squat where he breaks at the hips and goes ATG then his questionable reps with 315.

With fitness being a trend in todays world and countless advancements in the field in more recent years, im sure players will get stronger and stronger but I think most are still way behind the curve when it comes to the weight room.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Why am I picturing a 80's era Gold's Gym in the bowels of LCA.

Probably closer to this

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: evolutionbaby

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I bet one day hockey players will be built like NFL and NBA players. I don’t understand why theirs so few that power lift and build crazy size

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm guessing most are strong on the weights but I do wonder how much some of the guys do the less sexy training like working on flexibility and working on smaller supportive muscle groups that are uniquely used in hockey.

I don't know if it's true or not but people here talked about Karlsson not training in the offseason. To me that's not impressive, it's foolish.

I think there are years where guys are not able to go hard because of recovery. But they do some odd ones, Zetterberg did a bunch of stretching and I remember his jumping box drill was pretty crazy when they showed it on the broadcast.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Because unnecessary size slows you down.
I wouldn’t call muscle unnecessary weight. I just look at NFL WR/RB they are all more built physically while being agile and explosive fast. The conditioning it takes to play hockey is a lot different than the NFL but look at the NBA. They are all faster, bigger and stronger than NHL players and it takes a lot of conditioning as well

Reactions: cjm502

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is just fun news to hear. It's no news for me.

It's... Steve Yzerman.

Like... It's just Steve Yzerman at work. Work work work. He goes on every freaking possible detail and makes them better. Like as Team Canada GM, I remember how he negotiated those tough matches at WHC to start at more preferable time for Team Canada. Canada never started an early day game under him at Europe. Or if they did it, it was against United States. No edge for anybody. Always put things to fall on a way, where his team does not have a disadvantage.

He whined for the refs (as a player), because he wanted to manipulate them. Get and edge. Win. He worked harder than others, he played through pain. It's just unbelieveable character he is. He works everybody out now as a GM, because he completely understands everything from bottom at the top, from junior to veteran, in hockey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The medical team allowing Weiss to attempt playing through a sports hernia is shockingly bad.

Did they or was it another situation where the player wasn't entirely up front about the extent of the injury until it was too late/glaringly obvious?

The Wings medical team can't be too bad, or they'd be looking at law suits. I mean, that sports hernia injury was essentially the end of Weiss' career. How much earnings could he turn around and sue for claiming an incompetent medical staff exacerbated his injury?

I can the Wings may not be cutting edge in some of their practices and what not, but some folks are making it out as if they might have been grossly negligent and/or just blindingly incompetent. For instance, Dave Babych sued the Flyers because they misdiagnosed a broken foot, and won over a million bucks (pretty good money at the time for a guy his age).

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017

You're right.

Unfortunatley, the transfer level of deadlifts and squats alone to on-ice-performance is pretty low. This might have been the problem with the current staff - lots of weight training without the neccessary methods to get the improved strength onto the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad