Red Wings hire Mike Barwis

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

If this is true, I'm frankly kind of shocked. When you have as deep of pockets as the Wings franchise does, there's really no excuse for being behind the times.

In the past maybe they were trying to fix Stephen Weiss by drilling holes in his groin to let the evil spirits out? It would explain a lot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Positive news, look forward to hearing some of the changes. We know they built state of the art facilities but sounds like some of that equipment was poor recommendations. Glad Chris is stepping up the finances to fix a wrong.

Yzerman is very detailed. This gives you a glimpse into that, yeah he is right down to the bedrock of every detail. Great news for us fans but especially the players and members of the organization. This is how you get better incrementally.

Hope the guy is good, I wouldn't want to work for that wackadoo out in Ann Arbor either.:laugh:

It does look like he left U of M around that time from what I can gather.

Last edited:

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
very interesting. shocked to see the wings were that far behind the times. But good to see that chris illitch is giving yzerman a blank check and taking hands off approach. can only mean good things going forward

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
Reactions: hkydave04

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Thanks for sharing all the info, I am in favor of anyone new coming into the organization it would be nice to see the staff overhauled up and down the org chart.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
If true, I'm surprised to hear the Wings were so far behind the times.

This ^

Thinking about our injury history in recent years, I tend to believe it. It's a shame management let it get to that point.
But this is why Yzerman is here, to get down into the foundation of this org and build it back up.
Looks to me like Yzerman isn't just rebuilding the team, he's rebuilding everything. I love it.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And this speaks a bit to why he doesn't want to shake things up too drastically personnel wise before he sees what they have in who they've got. If you have a good player, but he just can't stay healthy, but you're trying bloodletting and leeches and potions... what do you expect?

Hell, maybe if they had 2010s training for everyone, Nyquist and Tatar wouldn't have been muscled off the puck so much.

Reactions: avssuc and Ricelund

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
If this is true, I'm frankly kind of shocked. When you have as deep of pockets as the Wings franchise does, there's really no excuse for being behind the times.

In the past maybe they were trying to fix Stephen Weiss by drilling holes in his groin to let the evil spirits out? It would explain a lot.

It seems they've handled multiple injuries poorly over the past several seasons. The year of Datsyuk's very late offseason ankle surgery comes to mind.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
And this speaks a bit to why he doesn't want to shake things up too drastically personnel wise before he sees what they have in who they've got. If you have a good player, but he just can't stay healthy, but you're trying bloodletting and leeches and potions... what do you expect?

Hell, maybe if they had 2010s training for everyone, Nyquist and Tatar wouldn't have been muscled off the puck so much.

I mean, I do think that some of the guys on the Wings are better players than they have been acting like.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It seems they've handled multiple injuries poorly over the past several seasons. The year of Datsyuk's very late offseason ankle surgery comes to mind.

Datsyuk needing the procedure was known at exit meetings. He choose to delay it, part of it I think was he was hoping doing it later might get them to relent on him canceling his deal after year 1. I remember hearing at the time a part of it was also the Shaq esk, I have been hurt on company time, I want to rehab on company time.

We know a little more about his attempts to bail so that makes more sense.

The medical team allowing Weiss to attempt playing through a sports hernia is shockingly bad.

Reactions: Winger98

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly stuff like this is just another reason it's a bad idea to have the same GM for multiple decades

when you don't have a new pair of eyes on things every once in a while things tend to get neglected,it's just human nature to have blind spots in some areas and when you don't have someone new coming in to take over once in a while those flaws don't really ever get fixed

Reactions: Gniwder

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Wasn't there some drama around this guy when hired or leaving U of M?

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009

And all this overhaul cost probably wouldn't cost $1M overall - given how much is paid in contracts these days, a rounding error to get a world class training facility.

I mean LCA is a new arena, you'd think they would have had built a world class health and fitness facility as part of it. Why am I picturing a 80's era Gold's Gym in the bowels of LCA.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
We have complained for years about the medical personnel, but it’s not at all surprising how linked that was to conditioning. This is terrific news.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
What happens if the overhaul works so well that Kronwall, Green, Daley and Ericsson get so rejuvenated that they all play like they did 10 years ago... And that puts the team too comfortably in a playoff spot, so they end up buyers at the deadline but don't spend any assets because Zetterberg and Cleary have been hanging out in the overhauled training room a little too much and now feel ready to step in and play like they did 10 years ago down the stretch?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I may have some bias as I come from the strength and conditionong field, but strength and conditionong is the #1 easiest way to improve a team snd there is absolutely no excuse to have a program that poor. Thats pathetic imo.

I know in years past everyone joked about this franchise being the old boys club, but it seems it has still been run that way even though all the old stars are gone. Im very glad to see Yzerman addressing the lacking areas and giving this organization a slight overhaul.

A little tidbit, my gym partner over the last few years played AAA hockey his entire life. He never started lifting weights until his hockey career was over. I packed almost 40lbs of muscle on this kid over the last 3 years, and when he stepped on the ice for the first time in years he was blown away at how good his skating was. He had not been on the ice in years, he weighed way more then he did back then, and was still much much quicker then he used to be.

Off ice training makes an unbelievable difference and it blows my mind how many NHL players are in pathetic shape off the ice. Hell, my cousin played all the way through a D1 hockey program and was never even taught how to do a proper squat until I showed him. The NHL recently posted a video of Michael Grabner doing squats with what appears to be 315lbs, but he is completely breaking at the knees and not even hitting paralell on the lift, its a pretty bad squat to my standards. I would wager most NHL players are just as clueless in the weight room. MSL is the only NHL player ive seen execute a good squat on video.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickH8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad