Red Wings hire Mike Barwis

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This is a tricky one because there are so many slightly different definitions of the word "practice". Practice as verb can mean: do something repeatedly to improve at it, or it could mean: to apply your knowledge/ability professionally. Obviously you can use this in noun form to. Hockey practice is a time/place to work on something to improve, and a Medical practice is a place where medical care is provided by professionals. Not to say that medical professionals aren't continually learning, but it's likely not why they call their profession a practice.

FWIW, I'm currently reading a textbook written by medical professionals for one of my radiology classes. They have a whole section on "The Practice of Medicine" and the bolded is literally what they say the reason is for calling it the practice of medicine. I was basically just using what they wrote in my previous response lol, but here is the quote verbatim:

"The idea behind the practice of medicine is that medicine is not an exact science but instead something that is continually learned and fine-tuned. For example, the same treatments do not always work on all patients and not all diseases have the same outcome in all patients. Healthcare professionals will use this information that they learn from each patient to build a knowledge base that can only come with experience. The idea of practicing medicine, therefore, means that even though you have learned the foundations an technical skills you need, you are still practicing to fine-tune those skills with every patient you take care of. "

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Maybe I'm misunderstanding Barwis' role, but it seems his immediate job is less about him one-on-one with each player and more about him bringing in a larger, more diversified staff and training aids. For all of the talk about college vs experience, my guess is that's why there will be a larger support staff - to have a greater mix of experiences and backgrounds to provide a more well-rounded training environment. But that's just my five second take on what I've seen about Barwis so far.

That's what it seems like. They are using Barwis' company and Barwis will be hiring the training staff.....but that doesn't necessarily mean Barwis will be doing any of the actual work with the athletes. Barwis has built a successful reputation and organization to this point in time, he probably has moved away from the one on one stuff to more of a managerial approach at this point.

Reactions: hkydave04

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
FWIW, I'm currently reading a textbook written by medical professionals for one of my radiology classes. They have a whole section on "The Practice of Medicine" and the bolded is literally what they say the reason is for calling it the practice of medicine. I was basically just using what they wrote in my previous response lol, but here is the quote verbatim:

"The idea behind the practice of medicine is that medicine is not an exact science but instead something that is continually learned and fine-tuned. For example, the same treatments do not always work on all patients and not all diseases have the same outcome in all patients. Healthcare professionals will use this information that they learn from each patient to build a knowledge base that can only come with experience. The idea of practicing medicine, therefore, means that even though you have learned the foundations an technical skills you need, you are still practicing to fine-tune those skills with every patient you take care of. "

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I guess I would have a fundamental disagreement with the definition that they went with; that sounds like a cop out that was thrown into a textbook to remind people that medicine is always a challenge.

Law practice
Consulting practice
Medical practice

To me, the use of practice doesn't imply those are "practicing to fine tune with every patient or client" to me. But maybe I am way off base and the medical field is completely different than other things in the real world. I just feel like summarizing medical practice as if each patient is a test subject that doctors are using to improve their craft is not advisable if you want to instill confidence.

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
Wow, that's pretty interesting. I guess I would have a fundamental disagreement with the definition that they went with; that sounds like a cop out that was thrown into a textbook to remind people that medicine is always a challenge.

Law practice
Consulting practice
Medical practice

To me, the use of practice doesn't imply those are "practicing to fine tune with every patient or client" to me. But maybe I am way off base and the medical field is completely different than other things in the real world. I just feel like summarizing medical practice as if each patient is a test subject that doctors are using to improve their craft is not advisable if you want to instill confidence.

What a loony comment.

People don't need to have confidence in their doctor instilled in them, or else they wouldn't be practicing doctors. they're afforded that confidence when they become doctors to begin with after studying for 8+ years and doing their residency/interning. You're arguing semantics over the words for some reason, but the world doesnt care if you fundamentally agree with the term or not.

If you dont like that everyone else refers to it as practicing that much, then tell your doctor they're not practicing anymore, that you're the game. I'm sure they'll think its hilarious. Or think of a new word for it that gives you back the confidence you lost in your doctor after learning the doctor looks at your problems as a test to be a better doctor, not as the moment they've been training their whole life for.

everyone else will continue to refer to it as practice, and 99%(i would have thought 100%) of the world will be fine with it.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What a loony comment.

People don't need to have confidence in their doctor instilled in them, or else they wouldn't be practicing doctors. they're afforded that confidence when they become doctors to begin with after studying for 8+ years and doing their residency/interning. You're arguing semantics over the words for some reason, but the world doesnt care if you fundamentally agree with the term or not.

If you dont like that everyone else refers to it as practicing that much, then tell your doctor they're not practicing anymore, that you're the game. I'm sure they'll think its hilarious. Or think of a new word for it that gives you back the confidence you lost in your doctor after learning the doctor looks at your problems as a test to be a better doctor, not as the moment they've been training their whole life for.

everyone else will continue to refer to it as practice, and 99%(i would have thought 100%) of the world will be fine with it.

I don’t have a problem with calling it a practice. You clearly weren’t able to grasp the point I was making.

I don’t think doctors are treating their patients like f***ing homework assignments. Go ahead and poll a bunch of doctors and ask them why they went into the medical field and let me know how many respond “I want to help people” compared to how many respond “I really love taking tests”.

Glad you got so pissed off by a conversation that’s been dead for a week. Don’t want to spoil it for you, but the Titanic sinks at the end.

IcedJuicebox

Feb 2, 2019
I don’t have a problem with calling it a practice. You clearly weren’t able to grasp the point I was making.

I don’t think doctors are treating their patients like ****ing homework assignments. Go ahead and poll a bunch of doctors and ask them why they went into the medical field and let me know how many respond “I want to help people” compared to how many respond “I really love taking tests”.

Glad you got so pissed off by a conversation that’s been dead for a week. Don’t want to spoil it for you, but the Titanic sinks at the end.

It didn't piss me off, I just think it was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Reactions: Hen Kolland

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
I bet one day hockey players will be built like NFL and NBA players. I don’t understand why theirs so few that power lift and build crazy size
Speed.

Extra weight will decrease your speed and upper body weight is not exactly that important in hockey.

I do recall Mickey Redmond talking about how Henrik Zetterberg bulked up one season and how Z wanted to lose the muscle mass because there was a perceived speed difference. Was when Z was younger and he was in the low 200s for start of a season.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Mike Barwis’ next science project: the Red Wings

Some interesting quotes:
“It’s up to us to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to expedite that growth curve, right? Especially in today’s game,” Horcoff said. “Young players are playing quicker. Usually it’s the stars that play quicker, but still. Detroit, in the past, had the luxury of just 23, 24, 22 — they would just wait until that guy dominated the American Hockey League. Well, the philosophy is the same in terms of, guys will be ready when they dominate the American Hockey League, but let’s try to make that at 20, 21 (instead of) 23, 24. How can we do that? That’s what we’re trying to do.”

He says he turned down “a number of teams” in different leagues that called him this year to discuss working with them. But the Red Wings opportunity was unique to him. He talked about his respect for Yzerman as both a player and an executive, and the opportunity to work with him. But there was also the appeal, having lived in Michigan and still spending time in Detroit, of working for the hometown team.

Standing in the lower lobby of Traverse City’s Centre Ice Arena, before the Red Wings prospects took the ice for a practice, Horcoff laid out the vision for what, two years from now, the team would like to be able to look back and say had evolved since Barwis arrived.

He started off down a laundry list of areas, from how the team works with injured players, to training its prospects, in-season work for players, offseason training, recovery — it was a list that fully illustrated what a big job Barwis has ahead of him. But it also gave a window into the premium the new front office is placing on the scientific side of training hockey players.
Barwis sounds like he'll be a great addition!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad