Friedman: Red Wings could potentially move Athanasiou?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Personally I'm not a fan of Puljujarvi.

I won't ask for the top 10 dmen taken.

How about:

Athanasiou

For

Gagner
Samorukov
2020 2nd
Conditional 2nd: Edmonton makes the playoffs.
:laugh: How does this benefit Detroit in the very least? Dude you're giving AA away pretty much for nothing. And FYI pretty sure a contract extension will be in place. So this is very under-whelming.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Personally I'm not a fan of Puljujarvi.

I won't ask for the top 10 dmen taken.

How about:

Athanasiou

For

Gagner
Samorukov
2020 2nd
Conditional 2nd: Edmonton makes the playoffs.
Depending what AA is looking for to extend, I’d probably do that deal.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Someone really needs to inform Friedman that the smoke he thinks he's seeing from a potential impending trade is actually coming from his ears from thinking too much.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Would Brenden Dillon be good enough to be of interest? If so, what would need to be added to him to get AA?
Not sure? He's almost 29 years old, Would rather have someone either AA's age 25 years old or slightly younger. Would definitely so something around AA+ for Ghost or Brodin or AA for Leddy like the other poster suggested.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
No incentive for us to make this deal, Gagner is an aging pending UFA that doesn't fit our rebuild, Jones+2nd isn't enticing enough to move AA Jones isn't a need as we are building up our D pipeline rather nicely here. Without RNH being included in the deal. I don't see a match between the Oilers and Wings here.
I get that.

But trading RNH for a winger would defeat the purpose of getting that winger in the first place. Not to mention we'd be getting absolutely shelled value wise.

Reactions: BringJordanHome

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I get that.

But trading RNH for a winger would defeat the purpose of getting that winger in the first place. Not to mention we'd be getting absolutely shelled value wise.
And i understand that, Just not sure Edmonton and Detroit make good trading partners for AA as Yzerman will probably be seeking a Dman in return and both Bouchard/Broberg are off the table. That only leaves us with Caleb Jones and i doubt he moves the needle even if a 2nd rounder was included in the deal especially if a extension were to be included.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Any GM who’s making decisions based on not helping another team make the playoffs isn’t going to go very far.

I’d wager that if Yzerman would be looking for futures were he to deal AA. The wings clearly aren’t a piece or two away from competing and unfortunately you’re not going to get a player who’s going to help anymore then what losing AA will take away. Maybe if you could package him with other pieces to pull in a real good young defenseman but AA kinda falls into that category of good but not great player who has some flaws so his value is hard to pin down.

Largely because I doubt AA could pull that good young D back in a trade, I'd lean towards futures, too. Preferably something that doesn't need protected in the expansion draft.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
To Edmonton:
Byron (via MTL)
Wood (via NJD)
AA (via DET)

To NJD:
Whatever makes it work

To MTL:
Whatever makes it work

To DET:
Whatever makes it work

Edmonton can then score on every penalty kill by creating a 4-0 breakaway with the fastest PK the world has ever seen. Byron-Wood-AA-McDavid. Boom. 12 Stanley Cups in a row.

But in all seriousness... what is Detroit really looking for? Who (for example - even if unavailable) would be an acceptable realistic return?
Except AA generally doesn't PK

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Yeah doubtful Yzerman is looking to move AA for a similar aged player, it'd be futures all the way. He's trying to rebuild it from the ground up, he's said it will take patience from day 1. AA won't be cheap tho, despite his early season production struggles, he's still flashing the speed and skill that makes him such a weapon.

AA (50% retained) for a protected 1st + 2nd/prospect of similar value probably gets Yzerman's interest.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It makes absolute sense? Detroit needs a #2C and RNH is a #2C in Detroit. Holland wants AA we want RNH That's the only thing that makes sense. Seeing that both Bouchard and Broberg are off the boards. Outside of those 3 players Edmonton doesn't have what i would want to move AA to them.
Yeah, RNH would be our target, we'd likely have to retain 50% & probably add a 3rd+B-level prospect to even it out. Still I doubt Oilers would do it though. Darnell Nurse intrigues me though, big LHD, starting off well this year.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I'm still wondering why Edmonton would trade RNH for AA:huh:
RNH is a 50 point centre and AA is a 30 point winger
There is nothing the Red Wings could add to make the Oilers better now
He had 54 points last year but nice hot take.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I get that it's probably not a good fit for the Oilers, but to call a 30+ GOAL Scorer, a 30 pt. scorer, come on dude.

There is a BIG difference between a 30 goal scorer, and a player who once scored 30 goals.

example:
David Clarkson cashed in on a 30 goal season, despite never scoring more than 17 goals any other season in his career.

David Clarkson Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

This became one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
There is a BIG difference between a 30 goal scorer, and a player who once scored 30 goals.

example:
David Clarkson cashed in on a 30 goal season, despite never scoring more than 17 goals any other season in his career.

David Clarkson Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

This became one of the worst contracts in the NHL.
That is literally the definition of a 30 goal scorer. Someone who potted 30 goals in the NHL Let’s not pretend AA shot 20% and is on the wrong side of 30. A poster called AA a 30 pt player and he scored 30 goals in that season so I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to prove with your statement.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
That is literally the definition of a 30 goal scorer. Someone who potted 30 goals in the NHL Let’s not pretend AA shot 20% and is on the wrong side of 30. A poster called AA a 30 pt player and he scored 30 goals in that season so I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to prove with your statement.

I'd define a 30 goal scorer, as someone who can reliably score 30 goals.
Someone who 'once scored 30 goals', means that was their outlier season, and it will never ever happen again.

If you're giving value for a 30 goal scorer in a trade, you would hope they could reliably score 30 most seasons.

I'm not even sure AA is going to break 17 this year.
This entire situation with AA resembles David Clarkson.

If you pay AA like a '30 goal scorer', I expect his contract is to be considered one of the worst in the league for a the entire duration of it.

Reactions: Homesick

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
I'd define a 30 goal scorer, as someone who can reliably score 30 goals.
Someone who 'once scored 30 goals', means that was their outlier season, and it will never ever happen again.

If you're giving value for a 30 goal scorer in a trade, you would hope they could reliably score 30 most seasons.

I'm not even sure AA is going to break 17 this year.
This entire situation with AA resembles David Clarkson.

If you pay AA like a '30 goal scorer', I expect his contract is to be considered one of the worst in the league for a the entire duration of it.
He is literally a 30 goal scorer, that is not up for debate. Whether he hits it again this year or in his career can be debated. I understand your rationale about value based on how you believe he would contribute to said team. It could be also argued that he could thrive or regress in another system. Not sure why Detroit would sell on him low when he is a RFA at the end of his current contract. I personally would sell AA for futures (e.g. a first) because I trust in the Yzerman plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00