Friedman: Red Wings could potentially move Athanasiou?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
7. Similar situation for the Red Wings and Andreas Athanasiou. I can’t say that Steve Yzerman has put him out there, but waiving Jonathan Ericsson indicates the status quo is not acceptable. Athanasiou started slowly in 2018-19, and still ended up with 30 goals. He’s goalless so far. Complicating all of this is it is a contract year, and the last one was a wrestling match.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He's getting a lot of his usual breakaway chances recently, just can't put the biscuit in the basket.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If they're not going to make the playoffs I don't see why not. Would've been good for the Oilers, but I think the Islanders might be the best option as of today.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
To Edmonton:
Byron (via MTL)
Wood (via NJD)
AA (via DET)

To NJD:
Whatever makes it work

To MTL:
Whatever makes it work

To DET:
Whatever makes it work

Edmonton can then score on every penalty kill by creating a 4-0 breakaway with the fastest PK the world has ever seen. Byron-Wood-AA-McDavid. Boom. 12 Stanley Cups in a row.

But in all seriousness... what is Detroit really looking for? Who (for example - even if unavailable) would be an acceptable realistic return?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Well, with tarasenko out.... maybe we make a play for AA? Doubt army would give up what DET wants tho

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Why would his value be zero? I think a comparable would be Galchenyuk. same age, same mixed opinions, who has been traded - twice now for decent return each time. Galchenyuk is also further away from his 30 goal season than Athanasiou.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Detroit still lacks a true #2C, Doubt Yzerman would deal AA to Edmonton without RNH coming back in the deal. Pretty sure if it were Holland making the deal that's what he'd want in return.
Hell no, think more along the lines of prospects/picks and one of Manning or Gagner bundled in for salary cap reasons. The idea of getting AA would be for him to play with RNH, not subtract the center that allows us to run McDavid and Drai together.

edit: If you'd prefer a hockey trade that doesn't make you worse in the near term, Larsson is a potential option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->