Friedman: Red Wings could potentially move Athanasiou?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
He interests me, but the attitude seems to be hit or miss on the guy.
To be fair, I feel most players would have less than stellar feelings if they were treated the way Athanasiou is treated by the Wings. If I was AA's agent I would have demanded a trade the 2nd game I saw Luke Glendenning as his center.

The Wings lack of support is going to cost him millions in his next contract. I'd be unhappy playing for the Wings in his position too. If he wasn't very good friends with the rest of our young core, I'd imagine he'd already have demanded one.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
As we've seen in the past fan bases tend to overrate their players. It will be a change of scenery swap or a combination of picks. Wings fans claiming guys like Pulujarvi, Lehkonen, Fiala isn't fair are probably expecting too much. A couple 2nds could probably get it done.

AA for Lehkonen and a 2nd would be more than fair value for a team valuing young assets

Why would the Wings accept a guy with a career high 30pts for a guy who just scored 54pts and 30goals at the same age just for a mid second rd pick?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If I was AA's agent I would have demanded a trade the 2nd game I saw Luke Glendenning as his center.

Lol fair enough that is a tough draw.

AA would look good alongside Nylander and AM34 imo. Don't think the Leafs would ever be able to work out a trade and stay cap compliant though.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Athanasiou is in a weird position.
Came off of three straight years where he increased his point totals and cracked the 30 goal mark. He's only 25, you think that as he's approaching RFA status he'd have an even better year now since he's trying his hardest to pump up his value since he's due for a new contract...but in 13 games he has 0 goals and only 5 points. Very odd indeed.

Teams will be hesitant to trade for him in case that 30 goal season was a fluke, on the other hand, if he's just stuck on a poor team (no offense ) (and no pun intended on the "no offense"), then maybe he'll breakout and next year will pot another 30 goals and 60 points... its really hard to say.

As a Canucks fan, looking for a more solidified version of top 6 winger for Horvat, i'd consider moving ONE of Madden / Dipietro but it would be hard coughing up two nice assets for a him... tough call for sure. Athanasiou has speed and size, two factors that together, bode well for players in today's NHL.

The Canucks don't have the cap space anyways... Maybe if Detroit was willing to take on Erikssons contract (the bulk of) then they could score both Madden and Dipietro in a swap for Athanasiou. But i'm not sure if Detroit has the cap space either

anyways, i hope Athanasious either finds a home or starts producing, he's fun to watch.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
As we've seen in the past fan bases tend to overrate their players. It will be a change of scenery swap or a combination of picks. Wings fans claiming guys like Pulujarvi, Lehkonen, Fiala isn't fair are probably expecting too much. A couple 2nds could probably get it done.

AA for Lehkonen and a 2nd would be more than fair value for a team valuing young assets

I'm not going to argue about overall value but the bolded just makes no sense. You theorize that the wings would value young assets but then suggest trading AA for a lesser player who is only 1 year younger. Why wouldn't we just keep the better player?

You're contradicting yourself and basically offering a single 2nd to downgrade our player right after saying " a couple 2nds get it done."

Last edited:

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Athanasiou is in a weird position.
Came off of three straight years where he increased his point totals and cracked the 30 goal mark. He's only 25, you think that as he's approaching RFA status he'd have an even better year now since he's trying his hardest to pump up his value since he's due for a new contract...but in 13 games he has 0 goals and only 5 points. Very odd indeed.

Teams will be hesitant to trade for him in case that 30 goal season was a fluke, on the other hand, if he's just stuck on a poor team (no offense ) (and no pun intended on the "no offense"), then maybe he'll breakout and next year will pot another 30 goals and 60 points... its really hard to say.

As a Canucks fan, looking for a more solidified version of top 6 winger for Horvat, i'd consider moving ONE of Madden / Dipietro but it would be hard coughing up two nice assets for a him... tough call for sure. Athanasiou has speed and size, two factors that together, bode well for players in today's NHL.

The Canucks don't have the cap space anyways... Maybe if Detroit was willing to take on Erikssons contract (the bulk of) then they could score both Madden and Dipietro in a swap for Athanasiou. But i'm not sure if Detroit has the cap space either

anyways, i hope Athanasious either finds a home or starts producing, he's fun to watch.
I would be iffy on trading AA for DiPietro + Madden but adding a three year cap dump at 6m would be a complete one sided trade.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I would be iffy on trading AA for DiPietro + Madden but adding a three year cap dump at 6m would be a complete one sided trade.
yeah, i can see why you'd think that. the negative value of a cap dump is subjective and depends on the team and their cap situation so its hard to bring that into a trade and get the value right

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
yeah, i can see why you'd think that. the negative value of a cap dump is subjective and depends on the team and their cap situation so its hard to bring that into a trade and get the value right
I’d say his value is a minimum a 1st to unload him.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
To be fair, I feel most players would have less than stellar feelings if they were treated the way Athanasiou is treated by the Wings. If I was AA's agent I would have demanded a trade the 2nd game I saw Luke Glendenning as his center.

The Wings lack of support is going to cost him millions in his next contract. I'd be unhappy playing for the Wings in his position too. If he wasn't very good friends with the rest of our young core, I'd imagine he'd already have demanded one.
Its not Glendening's fault that AA hasn't been able to finish. The chances have been there for him, he's getting his breakaways, he's just not putting it in. I agree that Glendening as a top 6 center is a joke, but who else is there really? Flip or Nielsen are probably an improvement but they're not gonna suddenly propel him back to success.

Griping about linemates is a copout - if he wants to be better he needs to play better. I think he will, though.

Reactions: Marky9er

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So a young top 6 center, you g top pairing dman or a stud goalie prospect. Ok then, That's unrealistic

Or top picks. As unrealistic as it might seem, AA is a good player that can pot 30 goals. His speed is second to none and constantly brings people out of their seats. Wings don't need quantity or downgrades.

Basically whoever started this rumor is an idiot.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Or top picks. As unrealistic as it might seem, AA is a good player that can pot 30 goals. His speed is second to none and constantly brings people out of their seats. Wings don't need quantity or downgrades.

Basically whoever started this rumor is an idiot.
He's done it once. No team is going to offer blue chip prospects or premium picks for him.

IF he ends up getting traded, it wont be for what your asking.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Holland is no longer GM in Detroit anymore, Yzerman is. No way Detroit trades a speedy top 6 forward for a 3rd line PK guy. Like i stated before in my post. No way Lehkonen gets you AA. Detroit already has tons of Lehkonen's within their system.

Lord knows Holland was notorious for trading his high end players...

... Or trading at all.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Only because AA is worth a lot less than that, considering his play this year. Teams don't always mind trading for struggling players, but they also don't pay full price. When the player is struggling because of attitude issues, they might not even pay half price.

Lol yes 13 games after coming back from an injury overrides the 76 last year. Where is this attitude issue rumor coming from? I don’t think this post could be more uninformed if you were trying for it to be. But maybe that is your intent.

Reactions: winger7020

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Lol yes 13 games after coming back from an injury overrides the 76 last year. Where is this attitude issue rumor coming from? I don’t think this post could be more uninformed if you were trying for it to be. But maybe that is your intent.
AA's attitude issue dates back to his junior days. Only recently has it seemed to change.

- Die hard Red Wing fan

What's the consensus? Is he worth a 1st to a playoff team seeking depth scoring?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
AA's attitude issue dates back to his junior days. Only recently has it seemed to change.

- Die hard Red Wing fan

What's the consensus? Is he worth a 1st to a playoff team seeking depth scoring?

I remember hearing about it a few years ago but I don’t think that’s what’s going on now. The whole team is struggling, including AA. He’s coming back from an injury and just starting to look better again.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yzerman's not stupid.
He's not going to trade AA when he's got one goal and he's -20.

When did he trade Drouin? Not when Drouin was complaining about playing in the AHL. No, he let him have a solid playoff season and full season (21-32-53) in the NHL... get that value up.
There's no way Yzerman trades AA while his value is low unless he's trading for a guy who's value is artificially low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->