Red Dead Redemption 2 (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Stupid question but if you buy a hard disk copy does the install take up less room?

I don't think so, but not sure

I had MGSV downloaded from my physical disc, and always had to use the disc. Then they released it for free on XBox Live and from then on I haven't needed the disc but didn't need to install anything more I dont think

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The fact you can go to a show and heckle the dancers is hilarious. I'm just gonna go around and be as much of an ass to random NPCs as humanly possible.
It might come back to haunt you later on. They said npcs remember you and the decisions you make will affect you later on in the game.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm so torn... I haven't gamed on consoles in a few years now. (time is extremely limited between work, hockey STH and family)

I feel the itch... game looks incredible... good deal with the PS4 Pro... ugh. Just feels like its a must play game.

Do I or Don't I?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm so torn... I haven't gamed on consoles in a few years now. (time is extremely limited between work, hockey STH and family)

I feel the itch... game looks incredible... good deal with the PS4 Pro... ugh. Just feels like its a must play game.

Do I or Don't I?
It'll come out on PC eventually as well.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Do I or Don't I?

I bought a PS4 last month because of Spider-Man and Red Dead and its seeming like a hell of a deal now because so much great stuff is constantly going on sale on PSN. I have since bought Project Cars 2, FIFA 19, Arkham Knight complete edition and Burnout Paradise: Remastered for probably less than $30 total.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I bought a PS4 last month because of Spider-Man and Red Dead and its seeming like a hell of a deal now because so much great stuff is constantly going on sale on PSN. I have since bought Project Cars 2, FIFA 19, Arkham Knight complete edition and Burnout Paradise: Remastered for probably less than $30 total.

Spider-Man was another one that really caught my eye..

Entire issue is time vs investment.. Why does being an adult have to be so hard? :laugh:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Spider-Man was another one that really caught my eye..

Entire issue is time vs investment.. Why does being an adult have to be so hard? :laugh:
I pulled the trigger. I normally play PC almost exclusively, with some handhelds for my commute, but Spider-Man, Persona 5, RDR2, and I haven't played an NHL game in like 7 years...

I'm happy with my purchase. I think I've played it more in the past month than I've played the Switch in a year.

Reactions: CPTN71

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This, the Spidey game, and the Batman game make me wish I had a PS4. Hopefully they'll remaster them or release better/newer versions once the PS5 is out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm starting to get concerned by a lot of the "realism" things the devs are adding to this game. In theory it sounds like a great idea to be able to say you've added all sorts of touches and immersion things into the gaming experience, but at some point, making players do a ton of little tasks in order to be able to play the game properly becomes tedious and distracting. Modding weapons? Cool. Needing to constantly maintain and clean them so they won't break? Annoying. Changing your clothes with the possibility of benefits for different outfits? Cool. Making it so that you're penalized if you wear a heavy jacket on a hot day or getting blood on you (which is going to happen a lot in a combat-driven game) causes NPCs and merchants to react badly to you? frustrating. Changing your appearance and hair and whatever to make your character your character? Interesting. Needing to constantly get your hair cut and bathe and shave and whatever because people will disrespect an unkempt scruffy cowboy? monotonous. Eating or drinking for benefits like refilled health or steady nerves or whatever (like medicine and moonshine in Redemption 1)? Useful. Making you stop whatever you're doing because it's been however-many in-game hours and your character is now hungry and his performance will suffer for it? distracting and annoying.

This is still a game where you can shoot people's hats off their heads, guns out of their hands, and probably single-handedly mow down 2 dozen enemies in a single battle because you're a gunslinging badass war machine. You're already breaking "reality" with that concession to having fun. Ripping you out of whatever fun you're having because you need a meal or a haircut or because you've just fought an hour's worth of battles and your gun needs oiling and your horse needs hay and water is probably going to be neat the first couple times, then annoying after the first few hours, then infuriating by the time you get to the end of the game.

It was the exact same thing with the eating/workout mechanic in GTA San Andreas. Notice that it disappeared when they made IV and V?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know why companies think this is a good thing. "Crunch time" is such an awful habit in the industry.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I don't know why companies think this is a good thing. "Crunch time" is such an awful habit in the industry.

Any industry that works on deadlines operates the same way. Lawyers bill 100-hour weeks right before trial despite knowing the date months/years in advance.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Any industry that works on deadlines operates the same way. Lawyers bill 100-hour weeks right before trial despite knowing the date months/years in advance.
Do you think video game developers and law firms are comparable in this instance? How easy is it to push a trial date back?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Do you think video game developers and law firms are comparable in this instance? How easy is it to push a trial date back?
Yeah, I do. Deadlines do that to you no matter what industry. You have a product you're trying to get out of the door at date X - no one is doing 40 hour weeks right before.

And on the eve of trial, pushing a trial date is impossible for all but exceptional reasons.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Developers have far less financial interest in their product than do lawyers. Lawyers do a good job and that has tangible and beneficial ramifications for your career. Developers do a good job and they get fired shortly after release.

I really don't think they're comparable, not the least of which because one industry deals with the civil and human rights of people and the other is making a videogame for entertainment consumption. Lawyers have crunch because their client is facing prison time, developers face crunch because corporate ownership wants to meet their projections.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm starting to get concerned by a lot of the "realism" things the devs are adding to this game. In theory it sounds like a great idea to be able to say you've added all sorts of touches and immersion things into the gaming experience, but at some point, making players do a ton of little tasks in order to be able to play the game properly becomes tedious and distracting. Modding weapons? Cool. Needing to constantly maintain and clean them so they won't break? Annoying. Changing your clothes with the possibility of benefits for different outfits? Cool. Making it so that you're penalized if you wear a heavy jacket on a hot day or getting blood on you (which is going to happen a lot in a combat-driven game) causes NPCs and merchants to react badly to you? frustrating. Changing your appearance and hair and whatever to make your character your character? Interesting. Needing to constantly get your hair cut and bathe and shave and whatever because people will disrespect an unkempt scruffy cowboy? monotonous. Eating or drinking for benefits like refilled health or steady nerves or whatever (like medicine and moonshine in Redemption 1)? Useful. Making you stop whatever you're doing because it's been however-many in-game hours and your character is now hungry and his performance will suffer for it? distracting and annoying.

Filthy casual :sarcasm:

Really though this is a tricky balance because while it can certainly done badly, even if it's done right it's not so much a matter of being good as it is just a personal preference. I'd say it works best in a game that can be heavily modded so you can start the vanilla game relatively light but leave options or room for people to mod these elements in. Even with a Bethesda game though that still has its flaws as you sometimes can't get best certain elements in the vanilla design.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think game devs get to bill "100-hour weeks", pretty sure they just get their same salary as usual?

Labour laws still apply, depending on where they work they should be eligible for OT hours unless they work in a really strange place.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Developers have far less financial interest in their product than do lawyers. Lawyers do a good job and that has tangible and beneficial ramifications for your career. Developers do a good job and they get fired shortly after release.

I really don't think they're comparable, not the least of which because one industry deals with the civil and human rights of people and the other is making a videogame for entertainment consumption. Lawyers have crunch because their client is facing prison time, developers face crunch because corporate ownership wants to meet their projections.

You should watch a bit less TV :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad