Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Regardless of where the story has gone I was flabbergasted that anybody at Rockstar made that statement to begin with. "Crunch" and worker's rights in tech have been issues getting tons of attention lately what with the sudden closure of Tell Tale Games, so it just seemed incredibly tone deaf. Read the room Rockstar.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It highlights the massive chasm between the haves and have nots. The haves love to work long hours because they make the decisions and get paid a crap ton, to them working 100 hour weeks is awesome.

Reactions: Pilky01

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It highlights the massive chasm between the haves and have nots. The haves love to work long hours because they make the decisions and get paid a crap ton, to them working 100 hour weeks is awesome.
Define a crap ton? I don't know any people, whether your looking at a 100k earners, 500k earners or even 7 figure earners, that love working 100 hours a week.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Define a crap ton? I don't know any people, whether your looking at a 100k earners, 500k earners or even 7 figure earners, that love working 100 hours a week.

500k bonus is on the low end of what I'd expect bigwigs at 2k/R* to make. Their 100 hour work week consists of meetings and making decisions while the programmers have to slog at computer screen doing menial work and praying they won't get laid off once work is finished.

So maybe "awesome" was a wee bit hyperbolic but my point was more about the fact that what they put and what they get out of insane work weeks is very different.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I don't think 100 hour weeks is ever awesome.

I've done 60-80 hour weeks (plus on call after hours support every other week) during crunch time, and that was bad enough.

Granted, the paycheques are amazing.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the guys at the top.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
500k bonus is on the low end of what I'd expect bigwigs at 2k/R* to make. Their 100 hour work week consists of meetings and making decisions while the programmers have to slog at computer screen doing menial work and praying they won't get laid off once work is finished.

So maybe "awesome" was a wee bit hyperbolic but my point was more about the fact that what they put and what they get out of insane work weeks is very different.
That makes a lot more sense. :)

Although I'd be willing to bet most of those programmers are hourly employees. Be a nice way to rack up some serious overtime.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do I need to preorder this game or will there be some left on the shelves day one?

I also still have an old Xbox one, should I pony up for a one X or PS4 or 5? Not sure what number their up to.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
6am to 11pm, Monday through Saturday is about a 100 hour work week. My God LOL. I have a hard to picturing any real serious work getting done from 7pm onward.. brain would be completely fried.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That makes a lot more sense. :)

Although I'd be willing to bet most of those programmers are hourly employees. Be a nice way to rack up some serious overtime.

In terms of straight up compensation it should be decent but the stress of "you don't have an option" and "you have no idea if you will be employed after this game ships" cannot be fun whatsoever.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
In terms of straight up compensation it should be decent but the stress of "you don't have an option" and "you have no idea if you will be employed after this game ships" cannot be fun whatsoever.

Yeah but you know what you're getting yourself into when you take contract roles (I am assuming the vast majority are contractors). Having worked in IT staffing for a few years taught me to see it in a different way. These guys love going from project to project. I actually had a much harder time recruiting for perm. IT positions because they didn't want to be stuck in one place to long.

6am to 11pm, Monday through Saturday is about a 100 hour work week. My God LOL. I have a hard to picturing any real serious work getting done from 7pm onward.. brain would be completely fried.

I would imagine that the amount of work that gets completed on a daily/weekly/monthly basis would be asymptotic. I know that when I do 60-70 hour weeks, I get more work done from 7 am - 11 am than I do from 11 am to 7 pm.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I've done a few. They've all made me want to jump out of a window. I always take a long ass vacation after those weeks.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So it looks like its gonna be about 150 GB download and install for digital on ps4. That is nuts.

I believe this is because the way games are installed on PS4 is a bit weird and requires a lot more space than needed once the installation is done.

It's about 80 GB on Xbox and I was led to believe that, once the installation is done on PS4 it will be very similar. You just need the extra space available to start installing the first time.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I believe this is because the way games are installed on PS4 is a bit weird and requires a lot more space than needed once the installation is done.

It's about 80 GB on Xbox and I was led to believe that, once the installation is done on PS4 it will be very similar. You just need the extra space available to start installing the first time.
Yeah from what I read it is 99 GB base on ps4 without install space and 107 GB flat on xbox.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Do I need to preorder this game or will there be some left on the shelves day one?

I also still have an old Xbox one, should I pony up for a one X or PS4 or 5? Not sure what number their up to.

I'm sure there will be plenty left. It's a big game, but with the rise of digital downloads there tends to be plenty of physical copies left for everything.

If I'm wrong, I'll sincerely apologize. :laugh:

Also, I think the OG Xbox should be fine, but you might want to wait for reviews before making a decision. I know ACG on YouTube is a reviewer who usually checks out performance on all consoles.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Just pre-ordered the special edition today before work and started downloading. The game itself was 83GB I believe without all the other stuff.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How would I know if I have enough space on my old Xbox one for this and should I start deleting things to make room? Is this thing gonna take like an hour to update before you can even play?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
How would I know if I have enough space on my old Xbox one for this and should I start deleting things to make room? Is this thing gonna take like an hour to update before you can even play?

Go to the "games and apps" tab and in the lower left hand corner of the screen should be a percentage of how full the drive is. I haven't heard anything about a day one patch, but I doubt it'll be as big as the newest Call of duty was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad