Recent Kadri Discussion

Trade Kadri?

• Total voters

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We will see.
Again, the forward core is JT/Matthews/Marner/Nylander.

Everyone else is expendable for D.

If we had a comparable Tampa/Nashville D, with those 4 forwards surrounded by Moore like players, there is no reason they shouldn’t carry us.

They’re not getting a No 1 and 2 D for any one other than those four.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They’re not getting a No 1 and 2 D for any one other than those four.
Maybe not in the sense of what people define as a 1 or 2, but 2 very solid top 4 D players to go with Rielly/Muzzin would be night and day.

Again, a Pesce trade and someone like Spurgeon who is in his last year with Minnesota. Or a Spurgeon/Zucker combo trade like Calgary/Carolina did that includes Kadri +.

Reactions: Budsfan

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Sorry not lumping Nylander with Matthews, Marner and Tavares until he at least gets back to being a 60 point player and even that is not elite.

I agree about Nylander not being on the level of the other 3, but IF (big IF) we take his first 20 games this year as a one-time anomaly, and we remove those 20 games, then he’s still been pacing at around 60 points even in this season.

He needs a great playoffs to get back in my good books, but I still have the faith moving forward.

Reactions: ToneDog

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think the question should be: do we need another Kadri thread?

Half the posters here think he is a great defensive player on a bargain contract who should be recognized as one of the best players of all time.

The other half think he's an opportunistic scorer who has lost his grit, but is still a decent #3 center, who could be packaged with ______ to get us an upgrade on defence.

Do we really need a seventeenth thread for these two groups to squabble in?

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I think the question should be: do we need another Kadri thread?

Half the posters here think he is a great defensive player on a bargain contract who should be recognized as one of the best players of all time.

The other half think he's an opportunistic scorer who has lost his grit, but is still a decent #3 center, who could be packaged with ______ to get us an upgrade on defence.

Do we really need a seventeenth thread for these two groups to squabble in?

And the third half who believe neither. :sarcasm:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Maybe not in the sense of what people define as a 1 or 2, but 2 very solid top 4 D players to go with Rielly/Muzzin would be night and day.

Again, a Pesce trade and someone like Spurgeon who is in his last year with Minnesota. Or a Spurgeon/Zucker combo trade like Calgary/Carolina did that includes Kadri +.

The big question is the +. You don’t trade draft picks or young talent in a rebuild.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The big question is the +. You don’t trade draft picks or young talent in a rebuild.
You do when Matthews/Nylander have 5 years, JT has 6, Marner has ? and Rielly/Andersen have 2 and 3 years left before a new contract and you want the Cup.

The Cup is now before the 5 years UFA ticks away.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You do when Matthews/Nylander have 5 years, JT has 6, Marner has ? and Rielly/Andersen have 2 and 3 years left before a new contract and you want the Cup.

The Cup is now before the 5 years UFA ticks away.

Oh, but they’re not a D man away from Cup contention.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
People expect a Bergeron caliber player as our third line center lol.
Kadri’s still on pace for 50 points even though he’s been playing with scrubs/AHLers all season long (i.e. Marleau and Brown).
He’s the only forward on this team that shows some grit, lays out hits, and doesn’t back down from the opposing team.
He’s also the best contract we have.

Yet people have been calling him a plug all season long and want him traded.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I'd rather trade Nylander and get more value for him and relief on the cap than trade Kadri.

Kadri has a history of producing numbers without playing with elite talent; Nylander without Matthews is not productive enough; there is plenty of statistical evidence for this

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
His great contract just screams trade me. When it is up, he'll be asking for a HUGE raise, given the monies handed out to Matthews, and, especially to Nylander!

I think the wise thing for Dubas to do is to assess his value this off season and get what you can for him, hopefully, in a package for a young, cost controlled Dman.

Unfortunately, his scoring prowess seems to have dropped off. As well, his toughness has been neutered by the threat of more suspensions should he make a mistake with a hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd be okay with Pesce too, however, I'd like a D just a tad bit younger. Thomas Chabot maybe? Not very likely to happen, unless, Dubas adds significantly.

The Leafs have no one to trade for Chabot unless they’re willing to trade a Marner , a Matthews or several 1st round picks. You don’t trade guys like him.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'd be okay with Pesce too, however, I'd like a D just a tad bit younger. Thomas Chabot maybe? Not very likely to happen, unless, Dubas adds significantly.
You're not getting Chabot without moving Marner or Matthews. Both would be an overpayment, but he's literally the only sign of hope in Ottawa .

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I'd rather trade Nylander and get more value for him and relief on the cap than trade Kadri.

Kadri has a history of producing numbers without playing with elite talent; Nylander without Matthews is not productive enough; there is plenty of statistical evidence for this

Would be very short-sited to trade a 22 year old #1 winger because he had a lousy 20 game period. Fortunately, we have a GM who is not dumb as rocks and will not do that.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad