Recent Kadri Discussion

Trade Kadri?

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd be okay with Pesce too, however, I'd like a D just a tad bit younger. Thomas Chabot maybe? Not very likely to happen, unless, Dubas adds significantly.
Pesce is the same age as Rielly.
We don't want to go too young. We have that. Sandin/Rosen/Lilly.
We want some guys 24-27 up in the top 4 to protect and bring these guys along safely.

Reactions: RLF and Al14

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
The Leafs have no one to trade for Chabot unless they’re willing to trade a Marner , a Matthews or several 1st round picks. You don’t trade guys like him.

You're not getting Chabot without moving Marner or Matthews. Both would be an overpayment, but he's literally the only sign of hope in Ottawa .

By not very likely I'm sure you mean, not at all.

My guess is that you all missed 'Dubas would have to add significantly.' I also said it was very unlikely, however, we are talking about Melnyk and Dorion after all, so, you just never know the nonsense they may have in their heads.

I'd might take Chabot if they asked for Kadri and Liljegrin.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
My guess is that you all missed 'Dubas would have to add significantly.' I also said it was very unlikely, however, we are talking about Melnyk and Dorion after all, so, you just never know the nonsense they may have in their heads.

I can't speak for anyone else but I can say that I did not miss it.

Reactions: Al14

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

And, to be fair, Ottawa/Melnyk will trade Chabot. But that won't be until he's close to UFA.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

You’d been a dunce if you didn’t.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Kadri + 1st for Spurgeon + Staal was my dream deadline trade. Not sure what the trade landscape looks like in the summer. Kadri would be a really good consolation prize to whoever misses out overpaying for UFA centers.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
ill say yes. he is still a 2nd line center on most other clubs. he's at a statistical disadvantage being on the 3rd line most nights. a sweet heart contract so he should still have a abundance of value to every team that has needs down the middle.

Carolina
Minnesota
Montreal ( which we would never do unless they offered the world)
L.A
Ottawa
Rangers
Anaheim

just to name a few could use a upgrade in center at the draft would be the time to listen and take offers while he still has a couple years of term

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Trading him could be an excellent idea.
Trading him could be an idiotic idea.

You really have to know what the return is before you say it is one way or the other.

What if you could trade him for an equal center with a lower long term cap hit? Why would you not do that?
good luck finding his equal. maybe equal on the 3rd line playing much less minutes. but would that C be able to play on both firat unit PP and PK when needed? dou t we get a deal like that. plus he is great seconday scoring when not put with offensive black holes lile Marleau and Brown. I say we need to run his contract out and hopefully he signes reasonable agaim due to the fa t we may lose a big name or multiple pieces.

anylander is on the sencond line mostly now and has lesspoint that kadri's off produxtion year.

Another Dman QB who is reliable in his end and dropping Zaitsev will allow us to get away with 2-3 gpals/night for a win... not 4-6 and still lose the match.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
ill say yes. he is still a 2nd line center on most other clubs. he's at a statistical disadvantage being on the 3rd line most nights. a sweet heart contract so he should still have a abundance of value to every team that has needs down the middle.

Carolina
Minnesota
Montreal ( which we would never do unless they offered the world)
L.A
Ottawa
Rangers
Anaheim

just to name a few could use a upgrade in center at the draft would be the time to listen and take offers while he still has a couple years of term
getting a proven top 4 would be a stretch with thos teams that end up being cheaper than the kadri contract

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
what? Any bit of grit he had to his game is long gone. And he's not effective with that part of his game missing.
disagree. Babcock has him playing a shutdown role and he wont be running star players if he wants to stay in this league. he flashes it... only thing thw sparks interview that was right is me have to play with emotion. kadri can get under peoples skin and draw penalyies as well. Who knows he may want to be back in the top 6 after his deal id over but I honestly think he would do best on the top unit just like the PP. Marner Kadri and Tavarez. put a medoicre cheap 3c in the mix and we have 2 deadly lines and 2 servicable lines. This under 20 min BS that the star players are making allows them to lose put on points. give that top 2 a bump in TOI and we would do better

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
His value's definitely declined this year, but he's gonna be a great guy to have against the Bruins in round 1. Think he'll be a key piece.

Side note - get him off PP1, he's been brutal there most of the year

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I mean, if/when we trade Kadri, what are we getting in return?
Hard to judge a trade when you don't know what it is.

I agree there.

The reality of the cap situation will likely mean that whatever the name(s) of the return(s) it’s more than likely a player on an ELC at best.

This would most likely be a picks/prospects type move.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
good luck finding his equal. maybe equal on the 3rd line playing much less minutes. but would that C be able to play on both firat unit PP and PK when needed? dou t we get a deal like that. plus he is great seconday scoring when not put with offensive black holes lile Marleau and Brown. I say we need to run his contract out and hopefully he signes reasonable agaim due to the fa t we may lose a big name or multiple pieces.

anylander is on the sencond line mostly now and has lesspoint that kadri's off produxtion year.

Another Dman QB who is reliable in his end and dropping Zaitsev will allow us to get away with 2-3 gpals/night for a win... not 4-6 and still lose the match.

Would you trade him for an equal player who makes less?

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Pesce is the core of the Hurricanes defense which allow Carolina some extra room for injuries on forwards and a slightly halfassed goalie situation. Besides, Justin Faulk is a UFA after the next season. Thus, you can not just reach out and GRAB Brett. Will cost you, say Kapanen and Liljegren.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Would you trade him for an equal player who makes less?
In terms of cap savings you’d have to strongly consider it.

If you can get a top 4 RHD like Pesce for Kadri, you make that move all day.
It is much easier to find a 3C (or move Nylander to C and find a winger) than it is to get a top 4 D.

Rielly needs a partner badly.
We must solidify the top 4 of our D while we work the young guys in slowly.

Rielly - Partner like Pesce
Muzzin - Zaitsev or better yet Spurgeon

This would be ideal. Eventually Dermott replaces Muzzin and Sandin is in for seasoning. Lily RHD 3rd pair to start.

Here is where you spend the money.
Our 4 forwards + D and Hyman/Moore types (low dollar) around them.

Reactions: ULF_55

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Kadri is one of the few forwards that knows how to play a 2 way game. It would be nice to see him score more cause he has sure been sankebitten.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I think the question should be: do we need another Kadri thread?

Half the posters here think he is a great defensive player on a bargain contract who should be recognized as one of the best players of all time.

The other half think he's an opportunistic scorer who has lost his grit, but is still a decent #3 center, who could be packaged with ______ to get us an upgrade on defence.

Do we really need a seventeenth thread for these two groups to squabble in?
Why not? We have several "Babcock" threads, a few "Dubas" threads, and our all time favourite "Leafs Need a Captain" threads.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
I have seen Kadri have a lot of lucky seasons. His first big season (the half season via lockout) everything was going in. It feels like the last 2 years everything has been going in. This year is the complete opposite. This is by far his unluckiest season. I think we are just seeing his longer sample size of being on the roster for so many years come full circle.

Hopefully next year he is back to his old self and we find him some wingers he will have better chemistry with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->