Recent Kadri Discussion

Trade Kadri?

• Total voters

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Kadri + 1st for Spurgeon + Staal was my dream deadline trade. Not sure what the trade landscape looks like in the summer. Kadri would be a really good consolation prize to whoever misses out overpaying for UFA centers.
I'd love that trade. Unfortunately, what GM is going to trade one of his top forwards and one of his top defencemen for a low first and a struggling third-line forward?

Would you trade them Nylander and Gardiner for Coyle and their first?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'd love that trade. Unfortunately, what GM is going to trade one of his top forwards and one of his top defencemen for a low first and a struggling third-line forward?

Would you trade them Nylander and Gardiner for Coyle and their first?

What are you talking about? Staal is an upcoming UFA and has barely had a more productive season as their #1C while Kadri's been injured and pushed down the lineup with Marleau and Brown on his wings. Staal has less value than our 1st. 3 years of Kadri at 4.5 for 1 year of Spurgeon isn't unreasonable.

Coyle got them Donato and a 5th, are you trying to say that Kadri's value is comparable to that? Just a mess of a post overall.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I guess as long as Matthews and Tavares are healthy Kadri on the 3rd line is a luxury and a bit of an overkill. You might find someone with a little less skill for a little cheaper, enough for a 3rd line center. So you can use Kadri to aquire a top 4 RD.

As soon as one of Tavares or Matthews gets injured and Kadri has been traded you might start thinking you've made a mistake though.

AK1121

Mar 9, 2018
It be really tough to trade Kadri...however, if we are able to move him for a younger more cost controlled centre. might be worth exploring.

Sissons out of NSH? what add would NSH need to make the deal work.

Johanssen/Turris/Kadri/Bonino is real deep

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No you don't need an overpayment.

You need a deal that makes the team better and fits within cap restrictions.

It is the crest that matters, not the name on the back.
You didn't just say that..... I said that once in another thread, and was called many different names by a certain faction on here.

Reactions: Pookie and ULF_55

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
It's not knee jerk chatter. They have to move some guys. Brown is all but done, if we can off load Zaitsev that would be a miracle. But trading Kadri in order to shore up our RHD I think makes sense. Though it depends on several things first. One, is Nylander going to take Kadris spot? Or do we sign a 3rd line UFA center, none of our Marlie centers are ready...so if we move Kadri we need a plan to fill his spot, which is why I think Nylander or UFA. You have to give to get in a trade, and we are close to the cap, with I believe 5 to 7 RFAs.

Anyway, I like Kadri. But for a long while I've said, hes not playing nasty that's when hes at his best. He is a puck hog, and when he shoots it rarely goes in. For now, he needs that edge back that'll really help, especially vs Bruins. But I think the leafs wont trade willy, so if not then you gotta take several guys away, brown, Zaits, then use Kadri to get that RHD

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's being outscored by two guys on ELC's, but outscoring the albatross that is Marleau. So the great value contract Pre-Tavares is now just an okay contract at this point.

Reactions: Pookie

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I tried to watch Kadri tonight.

Got bored and watched the Pimple Popper instead.

I hope he shows up for the playoffs.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Will all come down to cap management requirements potentially.

Pretty soon we will be top heavy with some of the highest AAV contracts in the league and then a bunch of cheaper ELC or bargains contracts, where the middle might be squeezed out and Kadri might qualify for that.

Teams are looking for centres and players with some grit so Kadri has value in trade and if the defense can be improved he might be the logical bait to use to achieve that.

Pretty soon? I think we are there now.

The middle pretty well always gets squeezed out. Its a cap league and this is inevitable. We won't escape this fate.

Not that easy to keep finding gem ELCs either.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Sorry not lumping Nylander with Matthews, Marner and Tavares until he at least gets back to being a 60 point player and even that is not elite.

I remember a "Nylander is elite discussion". I said he was very good, but not elite and got scolded for that. Lots of players on other teams have scored 60 - 65 points and we wouldn't call them elite. Its a user definable word though I guess.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
As soon as I saw that he was getting married, and saw his wife, I said that this was the end of Kadri as a hockey player. Just something about her, told me, he was not going to put in the effort any more.

Guess what? As long as his money is taken care of carefully, he is set for life anyways.

Oct 18, 2010
Most overrated player in a while. People were saying selke when he's not even a good defensive player. Saying he's physical because he takes big runs at people once in a while. But gets knocked down easily.

He's an offensive player who makes a big/dirty hit once in a while, and trash talks. And now that he's not scoring and penalties aren't being called for the Leafs or his dives aren't working anymore he's pretty useless.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kadri is not being used right by Babcock. Kadri needs to have shifts on Left Wing with Tavares or Matthews, to bump his ice time up.

Lets be fair to Kadri, he has had Marleau on his wing for most of the year, an out of shape Nylander, Brown who is a 4th liner , etc. Kadri has no linemates. Kadri is much more engaged with skilled guys. He will have Kapanen for the rest of the season but I do not see that as a great fit unless Marleau is removed and Moore is on the 3rd line. Babcock is out to lunch, Kadri fed of Komarov's hitting and was raised by Marner's skill last year. He needs an energy guy and a skilled guy and has had neither this year. Its on Babcock for misplaying Kadri.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
What if we put Marner with Kadri again? Those two with Marleau have produced very well before. Tavares can certainly drive his own line, so give him Kapanen and Hyman and they'll be solid.

If Babcock is going to give everyone the same icetime anyway then forget stacking the top 6. We've gotta turn that third line into something useful.

KE19

Jan 30, 2019
He's only going to get worse.

Trade him while we can for a top 4 RHD on a good contract like a Pesce. Add a bit if we need to.

He's a depreciating asset and well managed teams know how to move on from them.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
As soon as I saw that he was getting married, and saw his wife, I said that this was the end of Kadri as a hockey player. Just something about her, told me, he was not going to put in the effort any more.

Guess what? As long as his money is taken care of carefully, he is set for life anyways.

Congratulations! You win the award for the most inane post on this page of the thread. It was a tough competition from some of the other spicy hot takes but you really pulled through with this TMZ-level garbage.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I remember a "Nylander is elite discussion". I said he was very good, but not elite and got scolded for that. Lots of players on other teams have scored 60 - 65 points and we wouldn't call them elite. Its a user definable word though I guess.

Burke says he will be a casualty of the cap again this morning. If what we are seeing now is what he is, best to trade him for a much needed dman.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kadri is not being used right by Babcock. Kadri needs to have shifts on Left Wing with Tavares or Matthews, to bump his ice time up.

Lets be fair to Kadri, he has had Marleau on his wing for most of the year, an out of shape Nylander, Brown who is a 4th liner , etc. Kadri has no linemates. Kadri is much more engaged with skilled guys. He will have Kapanen for the rest of the season but I do not see that as a great fit unless Marleau is removed and Moore is on the 3rd line. Babcock is out to lunch, Kadri fed of Komarov's hitting and was raised by Marner's skill last year. He needs an energy guy and a skilled guy and has had neither this year. Its on Babcock for misplaying Kadri.

Kadri’s best season came with Komarov.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Burke says he will be a casualty of the cap again this morning. If what we are seeing now is what he is, best to trade him for a much needed dman.

That would be ideal but that D needs to have a low cap hit.

I’d start getting used to the idea that any move we make, may be for picks and prospects. Which isn’t a bad thing considering we gave up a 1st round pick.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad