Recent Kadri Discussion

Trade Kadri?

• Total voters

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
does nobody understand the concept of 3rd compared to 2nd line opportunities. he is on pace for good year considering his situation.

Riddle me this. Who does our 3rd line generally face as competition?

The other team’s top line? Or a 3/4th line on teams that don’t have our forward depth?

Is that a good year considering the situation?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What are you talking about? Staal is an upcoming UFA and has barely had a more productive season as their #1C while Kadri's been injured and pushed down the lineup with Marleau and Brown on his wings. Staal has less value than our 1st. 3 years of Kadri at 4.5 for 1 year of Spurgeon isn't unreasonable.

Coyle got them Donato and a 5th, are you trying to say that Kadri's value is comparable to that? Just a mess of a post overall.
Sorry, but I don't see anyone but a Leaf fan seeing that as a fair trade.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That would be ideal but that D needs to have a low cap hit.

I’d start getting used to the idea that any move we make, may be for picks and prospects. Which isn’t a bad thing considering we gave up a 1st round pick.

I'm starting to think that might be a better approach.

Kadri for futures.

Sign a UFA center who wants another shot at a job in the summer and will take less than 2 for the season.

Fill the bottom 6 with Marleau and graduating Marlies.

Heck, play Marleau at center for the year as he isn't going anywhere, and next year the top 2 lines should feast on ice time.

Marleau, Gauthier as the 3rd. and 4th. line centers.

Moore, Bracco, Marchment, Korshkov, cheap UFA's * 2 and you got your bottom 6.

Reactions: Pookie and Trapper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm starting to think that might be a better approach.

Kadri for futures.

Sign a UFA center who wants another shot at a job in the summer and will take less than 2 for the season.

Fill the bottom 6 with Marleau and graduating Marlies.

Heck, play Marleau at center for the year as he isn't going anywhere, and next year the top 2 lines should feast on ice time.

Marleau, Gauthier as the 3rd. and 4th. line centers.

Moore, Bracco, Marchment, Korshkov, cheap UFA's * 2 and you got your bottom 6.
Yeah figure out your top 2 lines.
Matthews...Nylander
Hyman...Tavares...Marner

So you need 1 winger.
Fix the D with the other assets and Marlies the bottom.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Burke says he will be a casualty of the cap again this morning. If what we are seeing now is what he is, best to trade him for a much needed dman.

That would be ideal but that D needs to have a low cap hit.

I’d start getting used to the idea that any move we make, may be for picks and prospects. Which isn’t a bad thing considering we gave up a 1st round pick.

Yes, I keep looking at CapFriendly to get an idea of where we at relative to the cap. Let's just say that any addition of any significance will require a similar subtraction of the same magnitude. I think you can plot in Gardiner's departure as a near certainty. I'd think every GM in the league is quite aware of our cap situation & could adjust their trade negotiations accordingly. The idea that some had that we wouldn't feel the per usual cap crunch impact was never realistic.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kadri Matthews Nylander needs to happen.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Kadri Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Marleau Kapanen
Moore Gauthier Ennis
Brown

Rotate the following as the third line center:
Marleau 7 min
Matthews 2 min
Tavares 2 min
Kadri 2 min
Nylander 2 min

Last edited:
Reactions: Koolboss

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
A lot of pros to his game as well as his great contract.

But i have to think that even with potentially getting rid of Zaitsev and Brown and having Marleau evaporate after next year, they will still need to trade one of Nylander or Kadri to free up more space.

Kadri is a very capable centre with a bit of edge and there is no one in the system to replace him (unless you are really, really, really high on Brooks, but I mean...). He may simply have to be a cap casualty.

I'm sure he is still affected by his concussion, but boy is he looking really slow out there lately...

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
He hasn't looked all too good this year and I don't know why. However he has been good the last few seasons. Hopefully he picks it up during playoffs (when it matters most). I wouldn't be quick to trade him for 1 poor season. I'd still look at his previous seasons as we know what he is capable of. If he can get his game back to being a 30 goal scorer, I think he would be a very serviceable 3C.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Kadri will have to take an insane discount to stay a Leaf. I'm sure he wants to stay. Dubas needs to move him this summer if they don't plan to keep him.

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
If I was another team I would certainly be calling Dubas about him. Its pretty obvious that he would be listening. Another team should value Kadri higher than us

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Hoping for Kadri to get traded this offseason, he needs more ice time and will not get it with the Leafs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hoping for Kadri to get traded this offseason, he needs more ice time and will not get it with the Leafs.

He's getting a total of 33 and 22 seconds per game, less than he has the past two seasons.

His ES Points per 60 is 2.16 vs. 2.46 last year. Of course, he benefited greatly from playing with Marner last year as well, so that drop off was predictable. If Kadri is satisfied with a reduced role, and at best, signing for his current Cap hit, perhaps keeping him should be considered..

But... someone has to go, for cap reasons, and to bring in a top RHD...

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He's getting a total of 33 and 22 seconds per game, less than he has the past two seasons.

His ES Points per 60 is 2.16 vs. 2.46 last year. Of course, he benefited greatly from playing with Marner last year as well, so that drop off was predictable. If Kadri is satisfied with a reduced role, and at best, signing for his current Cap hit, perhaps keeping him should be considered..

But... someone has to go, for cap reasons, and to bring in a top RHD...

its the quality of ice time and line mates

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
If he can get his game back to being a 30 goal scorer, I think he would be a very serviceable 3C.

Yes, serviceable. That's right. Lots of teams have third line centers who score 30 goals. That's an entirely reasonable expectation.

Without looking, can you take a guess how many 30 goal scorers there are in the entire league each year? How many of those are centers? How many teams don't even have a single 30-goal scorer, let alone a third liner?

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Yes, serviceable. That's right. Lots of teams have third line centers who score 30 goals. That's an entirely reasonable expectation.

Without looking, can you take a guess how many 30 goal scorers there are in the entire league each year? How many of those are centers? How many teams don't even have a single 30-goal scorer, let alone a third liner?
Ok I worded that wrong. Best third line center in the league if he still scores 30. Obviously he'll be servicable even with 15-20.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
To add something to the discussion besides the garbage about his marriage, I don't understand why he's still playing the low slot on the top PP. He's a better playmaker than a shooter and should be on the half-wall on the 2nd unit. Tavares and Matthews should be rotating in and out of that spot on the top unit.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ok I worded that wrong. Best third line center in the league if he still scores 30. Obviously he'll be servicable even with 15-20.
We need a solid 22 minute a night RHD.
I take advantage of Kadri’s 2C status while it’s there.

Not to mention, if we have to sign Johnsson/Kapanen, we can’t afford a 4.5 million 3C.

The time to strike is the summer. Max value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad