Reaves Suspension Incoming?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Don't get me wrong, The penalty was deserved and I would be perfectly okay with Reaves sitting a game for the crosscheck to the face. But if you don't think Wilson was heading in his direction for the purpose of a confrontation, you need to lay off the kool-aid. If you are afraid someone is going to attack you, why go in at him like an elephant in must?
Oh i am sure he went in there to retaliate/crosscheck Reaves across the arms. Wilson usually goes for the bear hug though. My thought here is that it might be possible that he chose the crosscheck response because Reaves likes to crosscheck. Though, bear hugging Reaves isn't the easiest of tasks.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
In what world was Bellemare "minding his own business"? He got between Kane and Schmidt, who had been crosschecking his teammate (and captain) Pavelski in the back and the ribs for a good 10 seconds before the whistle sounded. Bellemare should have let his teammate deal with it instead of getting in the way of a mad player. It was called appropriately on the ice, but Bellemare wasn't some poor guy who just happened to get randomly attacked.
By "minding his own business" I meant that he was not actively engaging with Reaves or seeking him out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ugh, I thought I missed something. Should've known it was just a play that was called correctly on this ice in the first place

Reactions: flieg44

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I hate hypocrites. Compare this shot to the one Niskanen laid on Crosby last year and then listen to no neck defend his player and play as "good hard hockey".

Caps are bad for the NHL

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
This is devil's advocate work here:
Is it possible to say that Wilson went in with his hands like that knowing that Reaves would crosscheck him? He saw Reaves crosscheck Carlson from behind two days ago. He just saw Reaves crosscheck Orlov from behind a mere second before. It was likely Reaves would crosscheck him next. It is interesting that Wilson brought his hands up first as everyone has said, but Reaves somehow made contact first. That might suggest that Wilson did not go in with as near the intent/strength for his crosscheck as Reaves did.

I don't think this is similar to what Kane did to Bellemare as that was a defenseless player. 2 minute crosscheck is right. Still a dirty play, but not all dirty plays deserve supplemental discipline.

So Wilson went up with his hands/stick like that because he thought Reaves was going to cross-check him... and Reaves cross-checked Wilson because he thought that Wilson was going to cross-check him....

I think Reaves made contact first because idt Wilson thought that Reaves knew he was coming. Reaves totally knew and made it look like he didn't see Wilson. pretty cheeky... lol.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I never said Wilson was going to crossc heck him in the face. I said Wilson initiated it and started to cross heck reavers first.

You should read my post over again until you understand what was written
geez two guys jousting in front of the net after a whistle,

Well I never !

I have no problem with reeves or any other player laying the lumber on another player in a post whistle scrum. I do, however have a problem with a guy crosschecking an opponent in the face in order to not get the expected and everyday business in front of the net.

No one is grousing about Reeves crosschecking a guy, people are rightly upset of WHERE he decided to cross check him and the innane excuse that " he was going to crosscheck me so I crosschecked him in the face first" as some sort of predictive excuse is lacking.

reves isn't antoine roussel and should not try to emulate him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I honestly don't think any Washington fans or other fans rooting for Washington are in a position to ask for suspensions on questionable hits.

Whether you like it or not, Wilson set the bar on what's suspendable...so be very careful what you ask for.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
they look the same except they aren't

They are both punches to the face in front of the net after the play is whistled. I'm not saying they were exactly the same play, I think we can all agree that two plays will never be exactly the same, but we can draw parallels to this hit to past suspensions.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Its not about how hard you get it, its about how hard to fake injury, stay down roll on your stomach and act like you have possibly just got murdered. Don't bother getting up, pretend its all over that way people will feel sorry for you and the person that put you there will look more guilty.

Geez, have these guys not learned how to manipulate the refs? Its easy in 2018 baby.

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
In the history of the NHL, has a player ever been suspended for a gloved punch?

Players these days are soft, I mean Daniel Sedin took like 4 of those in a row and didn't even blink.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Does not look like a suspension to me at all. just a glove shot to the face. come on!!! he got a penalty. lets move on to Game #3

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
one cross check was how he scored, the other was to wilson's face and then reeves was still moaning as he skated to the box.

I thought ryan reeves was a legit tough guy who could, at any time, pound wilson into dust. If this is true, why is he acting like ratty roussel ?

One net front battle, the other is Wilson trying to get at him and sitting down. Neither of these is a dirty play for the sake of being a dirty play, like Roussel or Marchand do over and over and over again. The first play is literally something you could call 15 times a game if you wanted to. Oshie and Engelland cross-checked each other about 10 times in front of the net in that game alone, and no one is crying for a call on either side.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Of course it should. Someone targeting someone because the game is already over and they think the consequences don't matter should be given consequences that matter. It's that simple.
Well it really shouldn't because score of the game is hardly the end-all-be-all of intent. Wilson had a target going back to game 1. If anything that could prove more intent then simply going off the score of game 2.

Kane didn't go after Bellemare because of the score. He went at him because he was attempting to engage Schmidt for perceived shots at his captain and Bellemare got in the crosshairs.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
By "minding his own business" I meant that he was not actively engaging with Reaves or seeking him out.
Believe you mean Kane, which I can understand. But it's not a good idea to get between a guy who was pissed off if you aren't really wanting to engage. Not justifying how Kane went about it, but Bellemare should have either been more ready for a scrum or just let Kane engage Schmidt.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
ooooh the horrors of a post whistle scrum !
If you're going to quote me at least take a second to look at the context of my comment...

The person I was replying to made it out as though Wilson was just gliding around in Reaves' general vicinity and #75 just blasted him for no reason at all.

Whenever there is a scrum around either goal, if someone gets close to you just crosscheck him in the face because he might do something. I mean, what else is there to do?

He's saying "if someone gets close to you" when the phrase "when someone skates at you with their stick horizontally at chest level" is much more accurate.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
In the history of the NHL, has a player ever been suspended for a gloved punch?

Players these days are soft, I mean Daniel Sedin took like 4 of those in a row and didn't even blink.
Yes. Off the top of my head:

Anyway, this is a 2 minute minor and nothing more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad